• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X Keyboard now available for ALL PHONES!

Yeah and for those with trackballs, I'm sorry. And for those who think they don't need arrow keys, I agree they take up a LOT of real estate, but honestly, you need them. It's FAR easier to get exact cursor placement with arrow keys. Apple's keyboard has this ability to drag the cursor but I prefer the arrow keys now after having them.

I don't really MIND the Stock EVO/Sense keyboard, but I really like the idea of multi-touch. :D

Upvote 0
uh, i love this keyboard. it's the first one i've tried that didn't automatically correct a lower case i to an upper case I with auto caps disabled. something i don't like, though, is that it doesn't auto correct punctuations, ie isn't would just be isnt. the correct punctuation doesn't even highlight. wonder what's up with that.

edit: holy crap balls. if you uncheck "show suggestions" and leave auto-correct enabled, you get more screen real estate while still getting auto-corrections. punctuations are now fixed as well this way. yup, loves it. perfect.

edit2: going back to checking "show suggestions" now has the punctuations highlighted if i don't type one. wonder what happened there. oh well lol it works.

edit3: &amp needs to be edited to just &

Upvote 0
Yeah and for those with trackballs, I'm sorry. And for those who think they don't need arrow keys, I agree they take up a LOT of real estate, but honestly, you need them. It's FAR easier to get exact cursor placement with arrow keys. Apple's keyboard has this ability to drag the cursor but I prefer the arrow keys now after having them.

I don't really MIND the Stock EVO/Sense keyboard, but I really like the idea of multi-touch. :D

Please help me understand this. So your saying that the Evo does not support multi touch? kind of like how the Moment does does not support multi touch? this makes sense for the Evo because I have a hell of a time typing to fast on the Evo and getting misspelled words. My old Hero had NO problems at all with my typing speed.

Why would HTC make the Hero with multi touch and then make there flagship phone without. Kinda backwards don't ya think. But maybe I am confused.

Can this be fixed with a software update or is it hardware. Sorry for the new questions

Upvote 0
Please help me understand this. So your saying that the Evo does not support multi touch? kind of like how the Moment does does not support multi touch? this makes sense for the Evo because I have a hell of a time typing to fast on the Evo and getting misspelled words. My old Hero had NO problems at all with my typing speed.

Why would HTC make the Hero with multi touch and then make there flagship phone without. Kinda backwards don't ya think. But maybe I am confused.

Can this be fixed with a software update or is it hardware. Sorry for the new questions

the keyboard that comes on the Evo doesn't support multitouch. it's just a keyboard, so yes it could be enabled with an update since the phone itself supports multitouch.

swype doesn't support multitouch either. this is the first keyboard i've tried on the Evo that does.

the HTC keyboard needs a vast over haul. disabling of auto-caps needs to be added, and multitouch support for sure. i actually have an HTC keyboard mod that enables me to disable auto-caps, but it still does it for the letter "i". this Droid X keyboard is also the first that disables that disables it. (yes, even swype capitalizes "i" with auto-caps disabled)

the Droid X keyboard reminds me of the one on the iPhone.

Upvote 0
ok I just figured out you have to remove your original keyboard on the evo. I can't do that because I am not rooted. oh well. I thought it was too good to be true without root.

wut? no you don't. i have 4 keyboards installed on my phone now lol

stock htc
htc ime mod
swype
droid x

all i did was sent the megaupload link to my email, then i opened my email and then the link on my phone. typed in the code and such, and downloaded straight to my phone. then i used appInstaller to find the apk. this is how i install almost all apks that aren't on the market (if i'm at work). i even used ES file explorer to change the file name to droidx_key.apk before installing. worked flawlessly. not sure why some of you are having issues. no root necessary. my phone is not rooted.

Upvote 0
Dang another newb question. So I just downloaded it to my laptop then transfered the file over to my Evo. Then what do I do to install it. I have only installed things from the Market which was simple. I found the file in the folder on my phone--but how do I open it. I brought up my text client and long-pressed in the text area and nothing popped up to change my text input.

Upvote 0
Dang another newb question. So I just downloaded it to my laptop then transfered the file over to my Evo. Then what do I do to install it. I have only installed things from the Market which was simple. I found the file in the folder on my phone--but how do I open it. I brought up my text client and long-pressed in the text area and nothing popped up to change my text input.

you need to download and install appInstaller from the market. this enables you to install apks.

edit: i wonder if we can install and run motoblur. hmmm

Upvote 0
install steps
1. send megaupload link to your email address
2. open email
3. click on link to open in browser
4. enter security code, hit download file
5. wait for time to expire, hit regular download
6. it downloads
7. use appInstaller to find the Droid X keyboard apk (it's called "Multi-touch keyboard").
8. install

enabling steps
1. hit menu > settings > language and keyboard
2. check "multi-touch keyboard"
3. open messages, search bar or anything that requires the keyboard
4. long press in input box
5. select input method
6. select multi-touch keyboard

it doesn't get any easier than that honestly.
if you still can't get it, then i don't think you should be messing around with stuff like this.

Upvote 0
wut? no you don't. i have 4 keyboards installed on my phone now lol

stock htc
htc ime mod
swype
droid x

all i did was sent the megaupload link to my email, then i opened my email and then the link on my phone. typed in the code and such, and downloaded straight to my phone. then i used appInstaller to find the apk. this is how i install almost all apks that aren't on the market (if i'm at work). i even used ES file explorer to change the file name to droidx_key.apk before installing. worked flawlessly. not sure why some of you are having issues. no root necessary. my phone is not rooted.

Well actually it depends WHAT version you got. The first one I tried said it couldnt install. Then I got the one that guy in the other forum tweaked, updated etc, and it installed/works.

Upvote 0
Well actually it depends WHAT version you got. The first one I tried said it couldnt install. Then I got the one that guy in the other forum tweaked, updated etc, and it installed/works.

which version would this be? link please
edit: better yet, what tweaks were made?

edit2: are you talking about repacked-signed.apk? that's the one i got.

^yeah that should be the one that everyone is getting.

Upvote 0
Man i literally just registered to xda forums for this file and posted in the lagging keyboard thread.

So far i am having mixed results with this keyboard. I can definitely type noticeably faster however this fails in that i am typing too fast for it. It constantly misses letters that pop up as having been hit. Then up until this reply for some reason, any forum replies have been horrendously laggy. Its ok right now but 10 min ago it was at least 3 letters behind me at all times.

Also of course i miss the arrow keys but i do see a voice button which is great. I haven't tested that out yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones