• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X, my take so far.

nynvolt

Android Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2010
SoCal
With the long wait for the phone and being new to smart phones and the android OS I did a lot of reading on various forums and web sites to try and educate myself.

First, the battery. The one issue that seems to be consistent on every forum, the terrible battery life. Well I think people are expecting too much maybe. This battery seems to hold up better than the one in my EnV Touch. I would browse a few web sites, check e-mail and maybe watch some video's off V-cast and my battery would be done. The droid X is getting a lot of my attention and with web browsing, snesoid, trying out free apps, rearranging screens and generally playing with it quite a bit, it seems to be hanging in there pretty good. Dare I say better than the EnV T would under similar stress. I don't know about standby power yet because I haven't let it just sit for any length of time.

Sound issue. This being probably the second most common complaint, at first I thought maybe people just had higher expectations but sadly, they were right. I have missed several txt's with it in my pocket and the weak vibration didn't help. This is supposed to be addressed (I hope!)

The phone has been working great so far, I did get it to freeze up 2-3 times. It seems to have to do with the voice to txt button. All three times I accidentally hit it and the phone froze up.

Signal strength has been great although inside my home 3g has been spotty. This area has a pretty poor signal as it is, actually had to upgrade a phone a few years back because it wouldn't work inside. So this is no surprise. I have WiFi so it's a non issue. Calls and txts are fine. Everywhere else it's great! I am browsing the web at nearly the same speed with 3g as I do on my wifi at home, it's awesome! My EnV was pretty tough to browse anything on, it was slow and the touch screen was terrible.

Size. It IS big but it's also slim. I carry it in my pocket and it's just as comfortable or more so than the thicker phones I've had. It's totally worth it though, the screen is so nice. Typing is fine, I have a little trouble in portrait but landscape, wow no problem. SWYPE!! I've been trying to use swype exclusively to get efficient with it. I am already swyping as fast as I could type on my old phones (arguably one of the best qwerty's on a hand set) hardware keyboard. It's really cool. Not so great for unusual names or purposely misspelled names. I know I can add those later though.

I am pretty happy with this upgrade. If I can get alerts to be louder and learn how to clear out all my txt's at one time I will be completely enamored.

For others who like me never owned a Android based phone, prepare for the endless pursuit of the perfect screen customization lol. To be honest I have probably spent 80% of my time with the phone rearanging, adding and deleting icons, backgrounds and trying to get a set up that is perfect. It's fun.

With the long wait for the phone and being new to smart phones and the android OS I did a lot of reading on various forums and web sites to try and educate myself.

First, the battery. The one issue that seems to be consistent on every forum, the terrible battery life. Well I think people are expecting too much maybe. This battery seems to hold up better than the one in my EnV Touch. I would browse a few web sites, check e-mail and maybe watch some video's off V-cast and my battery would be done. The droid X is getting a lot of my attention and with web browsing, snesoid, trying out free apps, rearranging screens and generally playing with it quite a bit, it seems to be hanging in there pretty good. Dare I say better than the EnV T would under similar stress. I don't know about standby power yet because I haven't let it just sit for any length of time.

Sound issue. This being probably the second most common complaint, at first I thought maybe people just had higher expectations but sadly, they were right. I have missed several txt's with it in my pocket and the weak vibration didn't help. This is supposed to be addressed (I hope!)

The phone has been working great so far, I did get it to freeze up 2-3 times. It seems to have to do with the voice to txt button. All three times I accidentally hit it and the phone froze up.

Signal strength has been great although inside my home 3g has been spotty. This area has a pretty poor signal as it is, actually had to upgrade a phone a few years back because it wouldn't work inside. So this is no surprise. I have WiFi so it's a non issue. Calls and txts are fine. Everywhere else it's great! I am browsing the web at nearly the same speed with 3g as I do on my wifi at home, it's awesome! My EnV was pretty tough to browse anything on, it was slow and the touch screen was terrible.

Size. It IS big but it's also slim. I carry it in my pocket and it's just as comfortable or more so than the thicker phones I've had. It's totally worth it though, the screen is so nice. Typing is fine, I have a little trouble in portrait but landscape, wow no problem. SWYPE!! I've been trying to use swype exclusively to get efficient with it. I am already swyping as fast as I could type on my old phones (arguably one of the best qwerty's on a hand set) hardware keyboard. It's really cool. Not so great for unusual names or purposely misspelled names. I know I can add those later though.

I am pretty happy with this upgrade. If I can get alerts to be louder and learn how to clear out all my txt's at one time I will be completely enamored.

For others who like me never owned a Android based phone, prepare for the endless pursuit of the perfect screen customization lol. To be honest I have probably spent 80% of my time with the phone rearanging, adding and deleting icons, backgrounds and trying to get a set up that is perfect. It's fun.

Nice post. Especially the last part. I can't stop playing with this phone. I have had it since 7/15 and am never satisfied with my set-up. I love the customization of the Launchers and am having a blast changing icons, docks, pix, wallpapers, finding cool and useful apps, (my lastest find is personalfinance) etc. Just when I think I have achieved perfection, I come on here and see someone else's screen and say 'damn, I need to do something like that.'

I never thought I would use things like Kindle, but find myself downloading and reading books while listening to Pandora. I actually watched an NFL pre-season game on my phone the other day, the whole game!

I know I am gushing over my phone, but it has been better than expected, no freezing up, no battery pulls needed, my battery gives me 12 hours, with heavy usage. I expected a nightmare and have gotten the complete opposite. I thought this would be my stop gap phone until VZW got the IPhone but I think this is a keeper. I really didn't want to like this phone but now I can't be without it.

Upvote 0
I don't think the battery life is that bad. I do think the signal and 3g isn't that great. this phone does worse on staying connected at 3g and with my signal than my blackberries did, and I'm pretty sure that's what is draining the battery faster... CDMA and trying to stay connected to 4 towers at any given time, and having signal issues means a lot more battery drain.

And my work place sucks for signal, however, I always maintained 3g on my blackberries. on my X it constantly changies from 1x to 3g. I'm guessing this might be fine tuned with software eventually. or it might not. Admittedly I have no signal issues outside of our building.

Upvote 0
Nice post indeed. I've been trying to figure this phone out. This is my first smart phone and first android phone at that. I've been using the phone a lot and trying to find new apps and ways to customize it.

I won't lie its a big phone but fits nicely in my pockets. The content of thephone will take a little to get used to but I expect a nice trial for a while.

Upvote 0
concerning battery life.

I've had.... let's see....

Blackberry World - Battey was unbelievable
Blackberry Curve - same as above
*Blackberry sucks for multimedia which means that I never used it for that.... of course the battery will last.
Moto Droid
HTC Eris
- Back to the Moto Droid
Incredible
- then the 1750 Battery
and now.... the Moto X.
Without a doubt, this is the longest battery life out of all the android-based phones.

I'm fairly satisfied... now I just have to start all over again, as I've got to take off Froyo today. Too many bugs that bother me... DAMN!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones