• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X no front facing cam....i see no point

well in most of the hotels/cities i've been in it has sucked. Basically slow speeds. Or work good one day then not at all the next then start working again. No consistency at all.

Oh that's unusual. South Korea is known to have one of the most extensive and fastest networks. I have several friends and family from South Korea and they complain about the internet in the US. lol It's so slow to them. Any Korean I've met has been unanimous in that and statistics support it.

Upvote 0
Oh that's unusual. South Korea is known to have one of the most extensive and fastest networks. I have several friends and family from South Korea and they complain about the internet in the US. lol It's so slow to them. Any Korean I've met has been unanimous in that and statistics support it.

lol maybe i'm just staying in the wrong hotels

Upvote 0
Sure, FFCs aren't widely used or available at this current time but the time will come. I wanna say it'll take less than a year when a phone coming with a FFC is the norm. People say, "we can use a laptop if I wanna video chat", the reason why these phones are getting so powerful and innovative is so we don't have to carry around our laptops. That's the whole point. I'm sure if the Droid X came with a FFC, no one will be saying, "take that off of my phone, more possibilities?! I won't have it!"

Upvote 0
Sure, FFCs aren't widely used or available at this current time but the time will come. I wanna say it'll take less than a year when a phone coming with a FFC is the norm. People say, "we can use a laptop if I wanna video chat", the reason why these phones are getting so powerful and innovative is so we don't have to carry around our laptops. That's the whole point. I'm sure if the Droid X came with a FFC, no one will be saying, "take that off of my phone, more possibilities?! I won't have it!"

i disagree with you on that one. less than a year?...LTE/4G networks aren't even going to be widespread in that amount of time.

For most business travelers it is a must to carry a phone and a laptop. I don't care what a phone can do when your on a biz trip somewhere a laptop is a must.

Upvote 0
To say that you see NO point is just a false statement.
Most if not all Droid X users would like it better to have a FFC, but it was announced that it will not have it, we are all trying to justify its uselessness.
I agree that with 3G speed and other reasons, it would not be very useful but still has some uses. It's kind of like DLNA that very few will use it but it's there as a feature.
Btw, someone did a test on iphone4 facetime with MIFI using verizon's 3g connection at the call was pretty choppy at best.

Upvote 0
You need to go to the better part of Korea. When I was there I had perfect connection with fast speeds 24/7. It is true I never went to the "BAD" part of Seoul, I would never need to or want to.

well the two places in Seoul i stayed at were ok, the Sofitel and another hotel. In the Pyeong Tek area and TDC it was horrible.

Upvote 0
To say that you see NO point is just a false statement.
Most if not all Droid X users would like it better to have a FFC, but it was announced that it will not have it, we are all trying to justify its uselessness.
I agree that with 3G speed and other reasons, it would not be very useful but still has some uses. It's kind of like DLNA that very few will use it but it's there as a feature.
Btw, someone did a test on iphone4 facetime with MIFI using verizon's 3g connection at the call was pretty choppy at best.

how can "i see NO point" be a false statement when its an opinion of my own mind that i created????.........i can understand if you don't agree with my Opinion that it is no point...but you can't say that is a false statement. I am justifying its uselessness ...mainly because in my OPINION it has no immediate usefulness to justify

Upvote 0
how can "i see NO point" be a false statement when its an opinion of my own mind that i created????.........i can understand if you don't agree with my Opinion that it is no point...but you can't say that is a false statement. I am justifying its uselessness ...mainly because in my OPINION it has no immediate usefulness to justify

I am simply pointing out the fact that you exaggerated your point by saying that you see "NO" point while you deem it not very useful.
You said "Cause if i had it...there is a chance i'm probably not going to get that much use out of it yet." That means that there is also a chance that you will get to use much of it, which logically indicates that you see some points.

Upvote 0
I think the front facing camera is actually a pretty cool idea. I also think I like the look of the Iphones. However, I agree that until more devices are made with this feature, then it really doesnt do any good to rush to get a phone with one now. We will most likely in a year see phones come out with it and one that works better then the ones currently out today.

Upvote 0
I could see it being useful to say a father who travels for work and gets to video chat with his kids. But to me it's pointless. I have no kids, only a wife..and I see her enough as it is:D
LOL.

I don't see a point either. And god knows Verizon would charge an unreasonable amount a month to have video chatting added to your plan. I'll stick with email, text, and calls. That's plenty of ways to communicate. If I want somebody to see my face I'll send them a realll nice snapshot with the Droid X camera.

Upvote 0
LOL.

I don't see a point either. And god knows Verizon would charge an unreasonable amount a month to have video chatting added to your plan. I'll stick with email, text, and calls. That's plenty of ways to communicate. If I want somebody to see my face I'll send them a realll nice snapshot with the Droid X camera.

I have to tell you that I played with the DX today finally. I'm a photographer so I'm spoiled by high end DSLR's but I also can appreciate lower end consumer stuff and cell phone cams for what they are. I can tell you this...the pic you would take with the DX will not be "a real nice snapshot". This is where Motorola screwed up. The quality is just not there. Better than the EVO (tested out my sisters) but not as good as the iphone4 for sure.

Upvote 0
I have to tell you that I played with the DX today finally. I'm a photographer so I'm spoiled by high end DSLR's but I also can appreciate lower end consumer stuff and cell phone cams for what they are. I can tell you this...the pic you would take with the DX will not be "a real nice snapshot". This is where Motorola screwed up. The quality is just not there. Better than the EVO (tested out my sisters) but not as good as the iphone4 for sure.

wasnt looking for it to be better than the iphone4 but at least it beat the EVO in your opinion :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones