Droid X not recognizing USB connectionSupport

Last Updated:

1. VinnyB

VinnyB Member This Topic's Starter

I originally had Vista Ultimate x64 on my computer and when root had come out for the Droid X I plugged it into my computer for the first time. Everything was detected fine and the drivers auto loaded themselves and root was successful.

Flash forward to after vacation, still on Vista, I plugged the Droid into the computer and it wouldn't even detect a connection. It thought it was in an outlet. I tried unmounting the sd card, toggling usb dev, rebooting with the usb in, etc. and nothing worked.

Now I clean installed and put Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and the same thing occurs. I put the Motorola drivers on my pc and the same thing occurs. My Droid doesn't even detect it is connected to a PC, no USB sign pops up on the Droid, nothing. I have tried refreshing Device Manager but nothing shows up.

I am using the original cable supplied with the Droid X.

Thanks for reading!

Advertisement
  2. SFWB

SFWB Well-Known Member

Try doing a search. There are at least two other threads about this.

3. VinnyB

I already did a search prior to posting. It came up with no valuable information to fix my problem. I always do a thorough search on Google and forums before posting a thread as it is my last resort to an issue. Whenever I post on a forum, it usually is something that is unusual and hasn't been fixed by conventional methods. I don't like to be spoon fed and it takes up too much time to wait for an answer but I have no choice in rare situations like this.

I've tried unmounting the sd card then rebooting, tried driver installations, tried toggling usb development, etc.

It's been a pain to have to shut the phone off and use my micro sd card reader to write files off it. I've had to use terminal emulator when installing a theme which is annoying to say the least since adb doesn't recognize the phone.

If you're going to post, don't go to accusations right away. At the very least you could have already linked me to those threads but I probably have seen them already anyway when I searched the forum.

4. SFWB

SFWB Well-Known Member

5. Brian_83

Brian_83 Well-Known Member

I hate to sound simple but have you tried powering off your phone and back on? Mine did this once and that fixed it. I believe I saw somewhere once that is the USB program gets killed on the phone it won't detect any connections.

6. VinnyB

Yes, I have seen those links in my search. But if you read my post then you know they would have no useful information concerning me. How am I supposed to use the drivers if there is nothing and I mean nothing listed on device manager nor device explorer? Those links show the problem occurs where there is some sort of usb connection detected on the droid. Mine has nothing. There is no option to use drivers since it doesn't detect my droid at all and my droid doesn't even know it is connected to a computer. No usb sign on my droid after toggling usb dev. Nothing at all.

Yes, I've tried turning it on and off. I saw the usb program running on my phone in manage applications and services.

7. SFWB

SFWB Well-Known Member

Try uninstalling all of your existing Motorola drivers under your installed programs... Moto Connect, Motorola Drivers Installer, etc. Reboot. Download and install the Moto Connect drivers mentioned in the threads. Install the Motorola drivers. Connect your phone, see if it detects it.

Despite your contemptful replies to me, I am just trying to help. The only reason I suggested the other threads us they are getting more attention because people were actively posting in them.

At the time, your two identical threads had no replies. I was merely suggesting you post there so more people would see it.

8. VinnyB

Well I have all the drivers uninstalled. I have tried what you have said before and no detection occurs.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything like that. I do appreciate the help though, even if it doesn't come out that way.

But this matters no more since I have found the problem. It's a rather funny story. I went on vacation like I said in the OP and when I came back I noticed my stuff smelled really bad and everything was sticky except my Droid X (Very thankful). What I think must have had happened is when I was staying at my relatives' house, their cat used my bag as a sandbox of sorts.

You can figure out the rest. I tried out another usb cable from Radioshack and it worked. I am going to return the cable since it was $20 and I only got it to test my theory that it was the cable all along.

Do you have any places to get a good micro usb compatible with the Droid X for cheap? I hear monoprice is good.

9. SFWB

SFWB Well-Known Member

Monoprice is the best. I bought a few usb cables there in different lengths for charging/connecting my phone.

10. VinnyB

Ok, thanks for the recommendation and the help.

11. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

Gotta use USB debugging and use PC mode and Battery mode plus the Motorola drivers.

12. mortymouse

mortymouse Well-Known Member

Vinny,

Have you tried to use your phone on another machine? Just wondering if you can reproduce this on another computer.

13. VinnyB

I have tried my cable on another machine and the same thing occurs so it is definitely the cable. What threw me off in solving the problem was that the usb cable still charged the phone.

14. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

Did you set USB to PC mode in the phone thru USB debugging??

If the phone is charging the cord should be fine.

15. VinnyB

When I plug in my bad cable, nothing at all shows up on the Droid that says it is connected to a PC. No USB sign, no usb dev, etc. So I can't set modes if there is no connection detected. It thinks it is in a wall charger and not connected to a PC.

I connected the new cable and it immediately detected and my computer installed all the drivers. I took it out and then tried my old cable and nothing at all. So it definitely is the cable.

MMdroid likes this.
  16. dnynumberone

dnynumberone New Member

I was having the same issues of my phone not being recognized on my computer through USB. In the past, powering off / on my phone would fix the problem, but lately that stopped working. I unmounted my SD card, powered off, powered back on, and it worked again. Notes : This was the original cable. It had no problems charging with the wall adapter plugin. It wasn't peed on like the other poster, or had anything else bad happen to it. Also, I run Advanced Task Killer, and added several items to the ignore list after this latest reboot. Items that I think were getting killed and are now ignored include the following (note: Some of these I'm just guessing deal with USB, but I don't know for sure ) - com.motorola.usb com.motorola.android.syncml.service com.motorola.android.datamanager And finally, before this latest fix, reinstalling drivers and stuff had no effect. This issue was in no way related to the comp. I went through registry, services, startup, trying to find a reason it wouldn't work. Problem was on the phone's side, though.

17. MMdroid

MMdroid New Member

I can't thank you enough for posting this. After trying about 20 solutions myself I had the same problem... I dug around my laptop bag for a spare cable and *BAM* my computer brought my phone up immediately.

Sometimes we think TOO outside of the box.

18. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a "charging" usb cable, not a data cable. FWIW, the charging cable might charge your phone 2x faster via usb.