Droid X on alltel, progress, need a little help though.Support

Last Updated:

1. steve500

steve500 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Droid X here with latest OTA update installed and it is now ROOTED.

Previous phone: HTC Droid Eris on alltel, was working perfect with fully functional 3G. I used the built in #778 PST to program the phone, no computer interface required at all to make that happen.

On my ERIS, the ONLY thing I had to do to get 3G working perfect is go to ##778 and then to the security section.
    What I filled in to get it working:

HDR AN Auth: my10dig#@alltel.net
    HDRAN AUTH PASSWORD: HEX ESN OF THE ERIS
    PPP USER ID: my10dig#@alltel.net
    PPP PASSWORD: alltel

I didn't even have to change anything in the M.IP settings of the eris's programming menu, just left them at verizon values.

The eris is now sad with a broken LCD. New phone...

Progress with my Droid X:

I followed the guide Motorola Droid Full Solution Updated

What I have done is set the Alltel PRL using CDMA Workshop
    Programmed and activated
    Used QPST to apply M.IP and PPP user names and passwords
    Rebooted. 1X is working PERFECT. 3G pops up on the status bar for a few seconds sometimes but then switches back to 1X, seems to me its just not authenticating maybe. Maybe I have my HEX ESN of the droid incorrect for my "HDRAN AUTH PASSWORD"? How do i find the HEX ESN for this phone? The eris told me what it is outright in it's programming menu, the droid/droid X does not.

Can someone tell me exactly where those values from my eris above need to be entered in QPST? The fields aren't named the same...

Also, do I need to do the U2NL files and autostart modifications ?.. Looked like that was just to change the proxy address for Cricket, would this apply to alltel at all? I didn't need to do anything like that on my Eris to get it working full 3G on my alltel. Thanks a whole lot for reading my jabber.

Advertisement
  2. cooba

cooba New Member

From what I understand... No U2NL, ip tablest, autostart, etc is needed. To get the (p)ESN go to Android - whiterabbit.org and his site will calculate it for you when you enter your MEID. I am really not sure whether u need the MEID or (p)ESN for the HDRAN? I am in the same boat, but with a droid. Have the 1x, but no 3G. I will keep you posted on what I find.

p.s.
    Alltel huh? We will soon be no longer. Question is, where do we go when Alltel is completely gone? Big Red Verizion? I will tie notes on a pigeon before I go to Verizon!

3. steve500

Yes, alltel is being replaced by AT&T in my area very slowly, theres a town near by that I use to get 5 Bars 3G in for over 2 years, the past 4 months I can barely even make a voice call in that location now, many people complaining, it's not getting fixed. Sad, I've loved alltel, I think off to my other option of big red is going to have to happen. I'll have to talk alltel out of my contract, let my mother take my last upgrade.

So weird that it doesnt just WORK like it did on my Eris.

Punched in PPP and AN Auth passwords (hex esn and alltel) with mynum@alltel.net as user names on both on my eris and WAM, FULLY functioning perfect 3G...

Doing the exact same thing on the Droid X ... Fail, 1x works perfect...

Maybe someone else knows?

QUESTION: My HEX (P)ESN does not have any letters in it, is that normal?

Also, in CDMA workshop 3.5.5 I get a "Failed to read True IMSI - Reason unknown" when I read the nam, the alltel branded HTC Hero I have here of one of my buddies sends cdma workshop its' IMSI without an issue, is this a problem?

4. cooba

cooba New Member

Did the QPST M.IP and PPP user names and passwords actually stick when you entered them with QPST. I have written them, but when I refresh, they are not there. Same with CDMA WS. Motorola's firmware is MUCH harder to work with. Love the droid, but the HTC's are much easier to deal with! We may have to write an NV file and upload like we did to get the username correct.

Answer: Are you using the full MEID (A00000XXXXXXXX) with the A, 5 zero's and the rest of the #'s when you generate it on white rabbit? I have always had #'s in my (P) ESN.

I found a smaller CDMA cell provider in the southern part of my state that has roaming agreements with Verizon and Sprint. Even though I will mostly be on Big Red's network, I'm not going to have to deal with them or their overpriced plans!!

5. steve500

I'm thinking that the values are definitely sticking... If I blank out the PPP password, I get no 1X connection, If I put the ppp password back in (alltel) my 1X connection is back on 100% ...

Talked to alltel, I'm told the HDR password is incorrect and of course couldn't help me any further because my only option is to replace/get my phone repaired.

Told alltel I've got an HTC Hero (alltel)

6. cooba

cooba New Member

All of my password fields are blank. When I write them in either CDMA WS or QPST, they look like they stick, but when I re-read the phone, they are gone. Basically, I am getting 1x without any passwords whatsoever.

Have you noticed that it takes a few minutes for the internet to kick in after a reboot? Sometimes 5 minutes... Just wondered if that happens to you?

What PRL u running?

All depends on the tech support person you talk to. Both you and I have had phones on alltel that used the esn hex and "alltel" as the passwords & they worked great! I am going to get a custom NV file written and see if I can get my passwords to stick.

7. steve500

Here's the thing, the Motorola droid NV items that carry information that carriers do not want other people to know can not be READ, only written to. That's my guess of why they do not auto-fill when you "read" the NV memory from the phone.

How I found this out:

So, if you were to read NV item 01192 with CDMA Workshop 3.5.5 (this NV item carried the HDR AN Auth key (hex ESN) ... if you read it from the Droid X and open it in notepad, it will give you the value "access denied"

Same goes for the NV item that holds the PPP password (alltel), the PPP password gets you logged into 1X data. When you read that Nv item, it shows up as "access denied", although, if you write to it, it does change... hence, if you were to change alltel to 00000 and write that Nv item, your 1x data is gone. Change that nv item back to alltel, and your 1X data is back. So, writing to these NV items is in fact working.

Yes, my 1X data does take a little while to pop up after a reboot sometimes. Sometimes text messages randomly fail to send and have to retry sending, probably every 30 text messages or so.

8. 4oh2design

4oh2design New Member

Now that Alltel has a Droid phone, can the Droid X be used/flashed over to the Alltel network?

9. killaj002005

killaj002005 New Member

can anyone tell me y my ppp user id and password wont stick. i used qpst and ran it as administrator and after writing to phone the phone reboots but when i read it again the ppp user id and password revert back.