Droid X on Verizon trouble

Last Updated:

1. mafernandes5983

mafernandes5983 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Jan 8, 2010
    I posted this on the Droid X forum but it's equally fitting here:

Buyer beware...

I bought a droid x from a seemingly reputable seller on eBay on August 6th. I tried contacting the guy several times to get the tracking number but he never responded to my messages. A few days after the sale I realized that I had never updated my address on eBay after I had moved so it was shipped to my old address. It was only until 2 days after the box had arrived at my old address that the guy finally got back to me with the shipping information and then responded pretty negatively to my other messages, basically being an a-hole saying that he's got his money but I'm out of luck. It took me 2 weeks but I was just able to locate the item that was in my old apartment and have it shipped to me. After nearly 3 weeks, I just got it today and was all excited until I tried to activate it and they told me that the person who bought it (and the one I bought it from on eBay) never agreed to their terms of service and that I could not activate it until he did. Additionally, if he didn't call them within 30 days, the phone's ESN would be locked and I would be SOL. The only saving grace is that he would be charged full price for the thing. It sucks to have waited so long and worked so hard to get the damn thing here, to have it in my hands, and then not be able to use it. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? I've already tried contacting the guy again and filed a claim on eBay.

2. ggp

ggp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    This is neither a problem with the Droid X or Verizon.

You always face a risk when purchasing from an individual. There's plenty of fraud out there. It's possible that the person who gets charged full retail price is totally unaware their line was upgraded.

Lesson is always get the ESN (MEID) # from the seller before you give up your money. Call VZW with it, they're happy to tell you if the ESN is clear to activate on your account before you risk losing anything.