Droid X on Verizon

Last Updated:

1. MuGGzyX

MuGGzyX Active Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 14, 2010
    So I decided to get a Droid X on Verizon and of course the smiley guy that sold it to me knew absolutely nothing about the deeper workings of Android and just showed me the very surface stuff.

So now I have tried to mess around with it and know I need to do some of this "root" stuff but a few friends have put the fear of gawd in me about bricking my phone so I am not sure how aggressive I can be with this.
    Basically I want to do stuff like get rid of the bloatware on the phone like the Amazon MP3 and make it so the Kindle app doesn't load all the time etc.

What would the first step be to take to be able to tweak the phone that wouldn't at the same time risk bricking my new toy.

If you have any links or threads you can refer me to please feel free to pass them on as well.

Thanks in advance!

2. Aggie12

Aggie12 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    First off. Welcome to the forums and congrats on buying the best phone out there!
    Rooting is so easy and you really have nothing to fear when you are a member of this community. Everyone is so helpful it's crazy. Now this isn't to say that you should go ahead and flash that unstable rom without knowing anything. I would start by looking at the sticky at the top of the root forum or click here as well. This thread has a lot of great information for beginner rooters like yourself.

To remove apps like bloatware you can go a few different routes all that require root though obviously. You can rename the apps in your system/app folder to appname.bak instead of appname.apk. After a reboot they will no longer be there. This is nice incase you ever need them back for instance to get an OTA update. Another way is to completely uninstall them using an app such as titanium backup. This app allows you to remove system apps as well as backing up all the data for apps (settings and high scores).

If you have more specific questions, no doubt with time they will come, please don't hesitate to ask after searching the forum for an answer using the search tool. We are all here to help. This is where I learned all that I know now. You've come to the right place!
  3. bigshotproducer

bigshotproducer Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    @MuGGzyX -- First off, welcome. I was just like you. Got the X and didn't know anything really about all its power. I started reading here and there about rooting and all the wonder that it is. I jumped in -- and boy am I ever glad I did.

If nothing else, just to freeze bloatware and get the wireless tethering, it's worth it. You may never ROM/Theme/Overclock your phone, and that's fine, but I would highly suggest rooting. I was scared to death sitting here alone one Saturday with my wife's laptop ready to push the "Root" button. But 5 weeks later I'm elated that I did.

Read a lot on these forums. Ask questions, folks are really nice here. And I'm not the smartest person in the world when it comes to these things, but feel free to ask me. I might be able to point you in the right direction. Good Luck!!