Droid X or Blackberry Storm 2......?

Last Updated:

1. J.Will

J.Will New Member This Topic's Starter

Heres my situation. I have a buyer than will give me $400 for my Droid X. I cant help but take that offer. Should I go back to a different Android phone or maybe try a Storm 2. I know since Im asking in a Droid X forum that 99.9% of the resposes will be "Keep the X". Help me understand why? Ive never had a storm only a BB Tour.

Advertisement
  2. Legato

Legato Well-Known Member

Having used a Storm 1 for a year and a Storm 2 from launch til the X launched i can tell you, keep the X. The Storm 2 is a serious downgrade. You can't type as easily, you can't surf as easily (super slow browser stock). Overall it is like half the speed of the X (S2 is like a 500-600mhz processor, DSX is a 1Ghz). I wouldn't go back to a BB if my life depended on it, and i was a HUGE Crackberry addict. For a personal phone a Droid trumps them in every way.

Only reason i would ever see to have a BB as a personal phone again was if i needed the absolute best security for my phone because i have super secret data on it (like other peoples personal info for clients and such) or if i was a celebrity and lost my phone often (paris hilton)

DX blows the S2 away. Like i said, i was a HUGE BB addict. But if you compare the two...it would be like going from a ferrari to a honda civic

J.Will likes this.
  3. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

Let's put it this way, I seriously loved my Blackberry devices... EXCEPT the Storm(s). I would say go back to just about anything than a BB storm. Hell go to AT&T and get a Torch, but stay the hell away from the Storm. It was a miserable and feable attempt by Blackberry at making an iPhone wanna be. They are way better at making their brand of phone than they are at trying to compete with other devices.

Tell ya what, you can just buy my X (I have an upgrade on my account I can use to get another) for $300, and you'll still be ahead $100 bucks!

J.Will likes this.
  4. racinwarrior

racinwarrior Well-Known Member

thats like saying you own a lambo and someone wants to give you $50K for it and you were thinking of taking the money and buying a mazda miata

no to mention the storm series is now unsupported and outdated, plus using tech from two years ago. I know i came from a Storm 2 when i found out RIM would not support blackberry 6 OS on the S2. As far as the tourch goes, it is RIM's newest entry into the smartphone world. the tech inside competes with a bottom of the line entry android phone, read: devour, backflip. i mean a 600 mghz processor? really RIM? Really? my wristwatch has a 600 mghz processor.

5. Roll-Tide

Roll-Tide Well-Known Member

I came from the Storm2 and actually still have it...there is NO comparison. I actually got my old S2 out the other day just to play around with it, and after using the X for a little while i was wondering how I used that phone without pulling my hair out. It is SO much smaller, typing would be a joke...call quality sucked on mine...text prediction is terrible...everything on the phone is slower than the X by FAR!

I used to be a huge BB fan, and that's after trying the Droid Eris, Palm Pre Plus, and Moto Droid....after those I still liked BB better, until I got the X. I would bet big money that you will regret taking that deal.

6. n1chol3

n1chol3 Well-Known Member

Please please please keep the DX. I literally dropped my storm 2 yesterday and got the DX. It literally blows everything about the Storm brand away.

7. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

The basics are about the same. The phone, text, and email are about the same. GPS is about the same. The camera on the storm might be bit better. The video on the X is phenomenal. After that the X rules everything. If you don't need/want a fast browser or the ability to use a bunch of apps, the Storm will do just fine. The layout of the Storm is easier. The X gives you ability to customize things. The X browser is infinitely faster and tons easier to access the web. The screen is zoomable by just spreading your fingers on the screen.
    But the BASICS are about the same. Don't let anyone try to tell you the basic things are any better on the X because they aren't. But everything else isn't even close.
    One thing about the X(that a LOT of X users don't know) is the fact that txt messages stay on the phone even after you 'delete' them. There IS a simple way to delete them but once you delete on the Storm they are gone.
    All in all the X is a much better device but as I said too many times already, the basics are about the same.

8. Shine 52

Shine 52 Well-Known Member

I came from a Storm 2 as well. There is really no comparison. The X buries it in every way possible.

9. mikeydooodie

mikeydooodie Well-Known Member

until bb comes out with a phone with specs like the droid x there is no reason to go back unless like above poster said you have super secret information on there

10. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

owned both storms. you will hate them coming from a DX.

11. sawtooth

sawtooth Active Member

dont get a storm. i have been counting down the days for over a year till i could upgrade. i hate mine, always freezes and have to pull he battery to restart it. the click screen isnt very good, cameras not very good, internet sucks ect.. everyone i know who has one hates theres just as much as i hate mine. my x comes today and i cant wait. i would rather get a htc eris then another black berry anything.

12. n1chol3

n1chol3 Well-Known Member

In terms over overall ability, there's just really no comparison to an Android based OS. Coming from the Storm brand, it's all business and hardly any play. Barely any customization, and even less real functionality.

It's just something that I used and dealt with, and now that I have all this power? There's no going back.

13. TravisG

TravisG Well-Known Member

BB doesn't have Angry Birds!!! 'nuff said.

No really. I went for an upgrade from my Storm and was just going to get the S2. The sales rep talked me into the "X", and trust me it was a hard sell for her. When I first got the "X" home it was like I was cheating on my sweetie! Every day I learn something new about this phone and I like it more and more.

14. snugglysnork

snugglysnork Member

The storm was a horrible device. I had a storm 1 for 19 months before getting the DX. The only reason I will go back to it is if I am traveling out of the country and need it for its global functions. I don't know what you use your phone for.. but the web browsing was ridiculous.. dont know how i can ever go back to it. much much fewer apps. the games on the storm sucked. no widgets. very little memory for apps even, not that it matters too much because storm apps are pretty low memory.

I mean, do what you like but I wouldn't go back to the storm 2 unless you were due for an upgrade in 1-2 months.... then maybe it would be bearable for a couple hundred dollars profit, if you really really need the money.

I know you're talking about the storm 2, but it really wasn't much better than the original storm. just had wifi (which doesn't even matter because the phone was too slow to really take advantage of it) and enough memory so you didn't have to reboot it every couple of days.

15. GlueFactoryBJJ

GlueFactoryBJJ New Member

Why would you consider a BB? None of their phones are competitive.

If it is for mail, try MailDroid or K9 Mail. If it is for BBM, I "hear" that there are BBM compatible Android apps available, but they are not on the market. I posted about this over on AndroidCentral, but don't have the post handy.

My wife has a Storm 2 (she and I both had a Storm 1) and you couldn't pay me to use that piece of .... again! The only thing propping up RIM right now is the glacial pace of corporate IT change. Once businesses really begin to catch on to how well Android and IOS can meet their needs, RIM is finished... unless they can change SO many fundamental things about their business. Especially their proprietary approach to their products.

Is there a specific reason why you are selling your DX? I don't see how it makes sense to sell your DX and then pay (more) for a new one since it came out only a couple months ago.

FWIW, if I were to get a new phone right now, the only alternative to my DX would be the Samsung Fascinate. What a BEAUTIFUL screen it has! :)

Scott

16. wxman2003

wxman2003 Well-Known Member

I owned the Storm 1. The worst dumb smartphone I have ever owned. I will never go back to blackberry because of that POS.

17. decks19

decks19 Active Member

Would you share this post about the bbm to me please. I have alot of friends that dont want to change to google talk and so i need to link back to the blackberry world... LOL

18. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

Here here, if there is a BBM compatible app out there, please cough it up sir.

:D

19. tech_head

tech_head Well-Known Member

Had a S1 the S2. When RIM didn't announce a larger screen or an update to the S2, I was done. They didn't have to give me a software update for the S2. I wanted a new device with a 1GHz processors, 4" screen, etc......

I'm now using a DX.
    Could never go back.
    Giving my S2 to my 12 year old for Christmas...

20. dfran1

dfran1 Well-Known Member

!!!!!!!!AGREE!!!!!!!! Well said!!!!!!! (but it applies to all Blackberry's)

I have had a windows mobile phone (this was a POS) then the storm 1 and the storm 1 was so much worse than even the windows mobile phone (that does not say much for the storm 1 at all).

Blackberry's are all POS, they only get so much data of your emails (very random) and do not show HTML emails (most of them) properly at all (maybe some day in the future, by then it will be too late, I think they are too late now)

I have spent about 2 months of troubleshooting these problems with verizon and blackberry (with their highest level of tech support) only to find out at the end of the troubleshooting that blackberry phones (all of them) can not do proper HTML emails and do in fact limit the size of your emails (meaning if they allow only 2k of your emails to get to you then the rest over 2k you will never get until you get to a computer to look at them)

They should be out of business by now in my opinion!!!!

To this day I do not understand why anyone would want one with these limitations today at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Brandysmom

Brandysmom New Member

The storm is the worst phone on the face of the earth. I suffered with one for almost a year. Every day you had to pull the battery, just to get it to work. If it was humid out, the touchscreen went nuts and was unusable. It was slow as molasses, the camera sucked, and the phone would up and die in mid conversation, and take upwards of five minutes to come back to life, and many of the emails I tried to read on it were truncated. I will say that I was very pleased to find a ticketmaster app for blackberry, but alas, the stupid thing didnt have enough memory to handle running it. And it was the ONLY app I had on the phone.

I would love to fling it into a brick wall, for the pleasure of seeing it crumble into a million pieces, but I have put it to good use as a paperweight, in case I have to go overseas anytime soon.

I do have to disagree with the post that compared the storm to a honda civic. A honda civic is reliable. The storm is not. I'd compare the storm to a yugo.

22. JediJesus

JediJesus Well-Known Member

+1.

I was at Verizon the other day and tried a S2 for grins and the phone drove me nuts. I kept looking for a home button. I have no idea how I used my S1 for a whole year.

A lot of us Verizon folks got the S1 thinking it would be the next iphone killer and it was a complete failure. Laggy as hell and needed a battery pull (5-6 min process) a couple times a day.

23. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

DX all the way!

24. jcash3

jcash3 Well-Known Member

I was roped into the Samsung Omnia by the same thinking. After having the phone overheat and become useless twice, they gave me the Storm 1 saying that it was the real iPhone killer. That was a rough year having that piece of junk. Good thing that my upgrade date didn't change after they gave me the phone, so I was able to upgrade to the DX... If I had to put up with another year of freezing and WAAYYY overpriced apps, I would have gone crazy.

25. fonefreak

fonefreak Well-Known Member

Had both the S1 (4 of them replaced due to mfg problems so auto upgrade to S2) and the S2. Would never go back to BB for anything. I'd even go to WinMo before going to BB. The biggest gripe about BB for me was truncated emails - at least every day I'd have 2 or 3 emails that were cut off due to BB's BS servers.

Keep the DX. Seriously. Keep the DX.