• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X or wait?

I've been drooling over this Droid X for weeks now, and I'm here to get an opinion...

How far off do you think we are from seeing a 4G Android handset? Think I should pick up a DX as soon as I get home in September or wait it out till say December and get a bad ass 4G phone? I'm currently in love with this DX and can't wait to get my mittens on that device!
DROID X...
As Arnold would say,
"Dooo It Noww"

You will love it.
Any doubts, just run into your local VZW to get better acquainted.

Upvote 0
I am kind of in the same situation myself, however i am not so concerned about a new fancy phone coming out later this year or 4g for that matter. I am just waiting on the new 2.2 update to roll out since lot of people have commented on how there is an ongoing issue with the wifi and whether this new update will fix it? It might also help the battery life last a bit longer, may be? Are there any other issues that any of you guys have noticed with droid x and expecting a fix with the upcoming update?

Upvote 0
Well, the choice is yours, of course. When the Droid originally came out in November. My goodness! Do you remember all the excitement? Then the news came out that the Nexus One and the iPhone was coming to Verizon. So, I decided to wait.

Both rumors turned out to be false. I waited 5 months and eventually got the incredible on pre-order. I liked it but had trouble with the call quality. This was bad because I run my business of it. So, after 59 days Verizon took my phone back.

I then ordered the Droid X when it came out. The call quality is superior. It's a great phone, especially when rooted. Am I glad I waited? Well, I missed out on 5 months being with Android. I was stuck with a Windows Mobile phone (shudder).

I love the phone. It's great, but in retrospect, I might have gotten the Droid 1 back in 09 and upgrade the end of '10 or '11.

Bottom line: The DX is here now and it's great. The next phones out aren't necessarily better. I do not believe that the Samsung Fascinate is better than the DX because it is newer.

I'd get it and enjoy it, if I was you. I am, however, not. :) Good luck and let us know!

Reactions: DougieFresh
Upvote 0
Upgrade now. 4G is irrelevant for probably a year IMHO. Longer if you are in a small market like myself. The Fascinate would be the only other phone on Verizon I'd consider in place of the X personally. Actually the Inc is a very fine phone if the 3.7" screen is more to your liking. But for me the 4.3" screen rules. In fact, I'd like a 5" screen thank you very much. Bottom line, get the X or the Fascinate. Nothing else on the horizon and you'll be continually "waiting". Gotta pull the trigger sometime and this phone is worthy.

Upvote 0
i love the droid x, but to be completely honest...i'd wait. at least see what is in store for the holiday launch. all the manufacturers are gonna want to get a piece of the holiday sales and launch a must have. 4g will hit the wifi modems modems for laptops before the phones, so you're probably looking at next summer at the earliest.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones