Droid X - Phone Contacts vs. Google ContactsSupport

Last Updated:

1. QDroidX

QDroidX New Member This Topic's Starter

When adding new contacts to the droid x, it added it as both a google contact and phone contact. (i only have one google account setup)

I went into contacts -> menu -> more -> settings....I am UNABLE to check/uncheck the "Phone Contacts" (it is always checked). The google one i am able to check/uncheck. WHY and HOW can i toggle the phone contact?

Also, backup assistant only takes PHONE contacts and not GOOGLE contacts...while gmail contact sync only takes google contacts and NOT PHONE contacts. How can one change phone contact to google contact?
    (i have seen posts all over but no answers...and just replies saying "i have the same problem")

I am trying NOT to have two (2) different types of contacts...PHONE and GOOGLE. I just want google contacts ( or phone contacts...so i can atleast use verizon's backup assistant.........then transfer to GOOGLE)

PLEASE HELP!!!! This "problem" is making me lose lots of sleep
    :(:confused::(:(:confused::confused::eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Wrong forum - reporting it to an admin to have it moved to the correct forum.

3. mIQ Live

mIQ Live Well-Known Member

There may be better answers out there to your issue, but I will give you a quick idea to look into...

If you donwload the free MIQ app from the market it uploads your phone contacts to a secure online profile. From there you can manage and add contacts, including importing gmail contacts to your account. When you add contacts to your account online they automatically push to your phone. This is a great backup system for keeping your data safe as well as managing your phone, or switching to a new phone!

Hope that helps you out... Get some sleep! Good luck.

4. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

This must be something not as easy as it seems. I have a thread asking the exact same thing and have received no responses.
    http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-droid-x/125741-adding-contacts.html

From the phone, how do we add a google contact without it being a phone contact too?

One workaround is that you can add the contact in gmail and it'll sync to the phone under google contacts only. But, what if you aren't at a pc and want to add the contact right into your phone?

5. lexluthor

So there's really no way, from the phone, to add a contact that strictly goes into google contacts and not phone contacts?! Crazy.

6. Eryl Flynn

Eryl Flynn Well-Known Member

So far as I know not yet, I been adding them on the Google webpage and telling the phone to immediately sync so they show. Kind of annoying but it works.

7. lexluthor

That's pretty stupid not letting you pick which phonebook to add them to when you add them on the phone.

The Incredible had a box or dropdown or something to choose.

I guess if you need to add one when on the phone, you just add in, then delete it later and re-add it on the gmail website.

8. Steve Harkins

Steve Harkins New Member

I have a new Droid X (2 days) and for some reason the verizion store set up 2 contact lists , Contacts and Imported contacts.. the impoted is my old phone list and the contacts is both the phone and the google contacts combined....... the problem is when I sinc with the car my "imported" contacts do not show up......... Is there a way to fix this???

Help

9. bigguh

bigguh New Member

There currently is no way to add a contact to just Google, and not the Phone Contacts, from your phone. However, if you add a contact from your phone and it gets saved on your Google list and your Phone Contacts list, you can unlink the contacts from each other. If you select the contact to view it, you should see linked profiles at the bottom and a number, the number telling you how many profiles it is linked to. If you hit menu, then Unlink, you can separate the contacts. Once they are unlinked, you can delete them individually from the Phone Contacts list, if you like. For me, I have 3 google accounts. So, unlinking any contacts I added directly from the phone was a joy (not) having to unlink and delete each contact individually. Luckily, it was not that many.

On the flip side of things, if you had a list of Google Contacts and you happen to want them on your Phone Contacts list, I discovered a workaround. This may not be news to anyone, but it could be. It's unfortunate that the Groups made in your Google Contacts don't sync over to the phone. Nonetheless, I was in the process of creating groups on my phone. I noticed that when I added contacts to the group I created (remember: the groups you create from the phone are for the phone only), the number of linked profiles for those contacts changed from 1 to 2. That was when I realized that adding the contacts to a group I create on the phone automatically adds the Google contact to the Phone Contacts list. I imagine that there are not many people that want to do this, but you never know. So, I created a group and added all of my Google Contacts to it. I had to do this at about 35 contacts at a time (it didn't work when I tried all 250 of my contacts at once). After all of those contacts were added to the group, I checked to make sure they were on the Phone Contacts list. Once I verified that, I deleted the group and the contacts remained in the Phone Contacts list.

10. jontko

jontko New Member

Have you attempted to back up contacts to SD card then restore to gmail account. From phone book >menu> more>inport/export. Then back up to card. Then go through same path, restore. When it pops up account choose the gmail account.
    Side action, may want to delete phone book contacts after back up but before restore to avoid duplicats.

chrs likes this.
  11. chrs

chrs Well-Known Member

That worked great; no need to delete phone book contacts to avoid duplicates--it automatically linked the two so that they don't appear twice in the list in the phone. Thanks for the suggestion!

12. kensdavid

kensdavid Well-Known Member

FYI, Contacts ver 2.3 (gingerbread) does sync gmail groups! Now if we can just get it on the DX :D

13. drewmcg

drewmcg New Member

This could be a slick way to remove duplicates: transfer all phone contacts to gmail contacts, snych with gmail.com contacts, use gmail's superior find/merge duplicates feature, delete gmail contacts from phone, then re-synch with gmail.com....