Droid X Pixel Density and FWVGA

Last Updated:

1. edstewbob

edstewbob Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just like the Droid the X display is Full Wide Video Graphics Array (FWVGA) which is 854 X 480 pixels and gives a true 16 X 9 format. The Droid's 3.7 in screen has 254 pixels per inch (ppi) density while the X's 4.3 in screen is 240 ppi and iPhone 4 is 326 ppi. Android 3.0 (Gingerbread) is reported to support screen resolutions of 1366 X 768 (Wide XGA) for screen sizes of 4 in or greater. This is also a 16 X 9 format.

My question is both a hardware and a software question as it relates to the X. When Gingerbread comes out and supports higher screen resolutions will it allow the X to display a higher pixel density on the existing LCD display? This would increase the total number of pixels from 409.920 to 1,049,088 and as a result provide a significantly improved screen clarity that would surpass iPhone 4. There may be limitations due to the amount of additional screen memory required that could prevent this as well but I would just like to hear from any others that may know if this is a possible upgrade path for us future X users to look forward to.

Advertisement
  2. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

The X's resolution is fixed and nothing can change it. Android 3.0 will simply support any upcoming devices with those higher resolutions.

3. masse

masse Well-Known Member

Resolution is a fixed, physical characteristic of the display. This is similar to asking if a software update can make the display 4.5" instead of 4.3", although not quite as obvious.

But don't feel bad, I've seen this question a dozen times :)

4. damstr

damstr Well-Known Member

Reminds me of people asking if they could download more memory. Lol

5. Phantom_LS2

Phantom_LS2 Well-Known Member

Wait, that isn't possible?!?!?! :eek:

6. paul89

paul89 Well-Known Member

this software could help the images and text be slightly clearer, but the pixel density will never shange because that is hardware.