• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X pre-order from Best Buy

Very sad, but very true guys. VZW will not be participating in preorders for this phone.

I don't believe that for a second. They have done it with every major release of their new "flagship" devices. I bought the last two this way.

Either way, I wouldn't go stand in line. It's simply not worth it. Worst-case scenario, it goes up for sale at midnight on the 14th and I get it on the 16th with free, overnight shipping (also offered with the Droid and Incredible). I would rather wait an extra day to have it in my hands, than stand in line behind a bunch of sheep.

Upvote 0
Even though I already reserved a Droid X from a local reseller, I may try to cancel and reserve it there. Individual resellers are not guaranteed to get copies of a phone on it's release date, where Best Buy should have them on July 15th.

Buying from Best Buy on July 15th instead of buying from a corporate store means there's no $100 mail-in rebate to deal with. Plus you can still have the phone on the day of release instead of waiting a day if you buy it on Verizon's website, which should apply the rebate instantly as well.

Upvote 0
I don't believe that for a second. They have done it with every major release of their new "flagship" devices. I bought the last two this way.

Either way, I wouldn't go stand in line. It's simply not worth it. Worst-case scenario, it goes up for sale at midnight on the 14th and I get it on the 16th with free, overnight shipping (also offered with the Droid and Incredible). I would rather wait an extra day to have it in my hands, than stand in line behind a bunch of sheep.

If you have the phone preordered before you go to Best Buy to pick it up, I'm sure there will not be a long line to pick it up. Maybe if you didn't preorder it and are trying to pick it up that day you would experience a long line.

This isn't the crApple iFail 4 we're talking about, so it's not like there will be a tent city in the parking lot when you get there on July 15th.

Upvote 0
Just got back from Best Buy (I was the first to pre-order from that store). Basically how it works is that you buy a gift card for $50 from them, fill out a form and they put the form on your reserved phone. You show up on the day they're released and pick it up. The guy said that they were probably only going to get 10-20 of them, so there really shouldn't be much of a line at all... at least at that store.

Upvote 0
If you have the phone preordered before you go to Best Buy to pick it up, I'm sure there will not be a long line to pick it up. Maybe if you didn't preorder it and are trying to pick it up that day you would experience a long line.

This isn't the crApple iFail 4 we're talking about, so it's not like there will be a tent city in the parking lot when you get there on July 15th.

It's not just that, Gamble. I know people who have had bad experiences/issues taking their phones back when they get them from Bestbuy. It adds a third party into the process and complicates it. The Pre on Sprint was a perfect example: If you bought it from Sprint and didn't like it, you had 30 days to take it back for a full refund. People who bought them from Bestbuy had to go through all kinds of hell to return them and then they couldn't get their contracts reversed.

I buy a lot of stuff from Bestbuy because they have an excellent return policy, but when it comes to mobile phones, I'd rather order them straight from the carrier.

Upvote 0
I don't understand.

So if I am a current Verizon customer- my discounted phone upgrade date is in September and my current contract ends on Jan 4th, 2011-
how would this Best Buy pre-order work for me?

It's my understanding that the Droid X Upgrade early policy is that you can upgrade at release only if your contract ends this year. Since your contract doesn't end until the beginning of next year, you'll have to wait until the normal upgrade date in your contract - which is Sept for you.

I could be wrong, but that is what I have been reading.... I certainly would not rush out to preorder at BB until you speak to Verizon.

Upvote 0
It's not just that, Gamble. I know people who have had bad experiences/issues taking their phones back when they get them from Bestbuy. It adds a third party into the process and complicates it. The Pre on Sprint was a perfect example: If you bought it from Sprint and didn't like it, you had 30 days to take it back for a full refund. People who bought them from Bestbuy had to go through all kinds of hell to return them and then they couldn't get their contracts reversed.

I buy a lot of stuff from Bestbuy because they have an excellent return policy, but when it comes to mobile phones, I'd rather order them straight from the carrier.

Fair enough. I have never had to return a phone and always done my carrier cancellations through corporate, regardless of where the phone and service was originally purchased. I agree that it will be more of a seamless process buying it directly from Verizon corporate. I guess I'm just nervous that I would not be able to get my hands on a copy if it's not guaranteed in advance.

Upvote 0
Just spent 30 minutes on phone with supervisor at VZW CS. At this time, she said there has not been ANY final decision by VZW to NOT offer pre-orders. She had heard this before and said to wait a few days until the VZW website is updated. Sounds good to me. No point in debating any further as far as I'm considered. No way I'm going to BB. I'll get mine from VZW regardless if it's pre-ordered or otherwise. I want the X but I'm content with my DI until then.

Upvote 0

Best buy has a 30 day return/exchange policy on phones, with no restocking fee. I've never had a problem doing returns or exchanges at , you bring it in, we call and cancel the line/upgrade, and done :)

Upvote 0
Best buy has a 30 day return/exchange policy on phones, with no restocking fee. I've never had a problem doing returns or exchanges at , you bring it in, we call and cancel the line/upgrade, and done :)

Does Best Buy state in the contract that "if the service is cancelled within 181 days there will be an additional fee blah blah"?

Most resellers have that in their contracts.

Upvote 0

I preordered and bought the Storm 1 at BB. Returned it 2 weeks later. No hassles, no additional early term fees from BB, full refund. They didn't even ask for the promo bluetooth headset i got for preordering so I kept it. BS to anybody who says it's too difficult to preorder from Best Buy. I so much as verified all this before I laid down $50 today for the Droid X. I'll have mine on the 15th.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones