Droid X - Proud N00b needs feedback

Last Updated:

1. jn1520

jn1520 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Posted this in another thread, but also wanted to try here:

Hey All!

Finally bought my Droid X and it's waiting for me at home. Have had my LG Dare for over 2.5 years and it's time to retire that device. Got the ultimate deal on Letstalk.com because of my company discount and a special $25 off ecode, which resulted in me upgrading for only $55!

In any event, I've done some reading (have more to go), but I have a few questions:

1) Is there a benefit to using this guide (utilizing a PC) vs using the 1-
    Click app methods that are out there?

2) Regarding ROMs and Themes - Basically a ROM is a like an O/S, right? So if I don't want Motorola's, I can switch to a new ROM? With themes, this is essentially a "skin" right? Just looking to make sure I understand fully.

Proud N00b here, so thanks for any feedback! Any suggestions for a new DX user in general would be great too...

Advertisement
  2. Aggie12

Aggie12 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your purchase. I too came from the dare and I'm so done with that phone lol. I would just use a one click app since its much easier. Something like Z4root. And yeah you're pretty correct on the roms and themes although they are all based on androids OS 2.2 or 2.2.1

jn1520 likes this.
  3. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

1) No. Use Z4Root
    2) Roms vary Motorola's intentions by taking out stuff we don't want and possibly inserting stuff we do.

jn1520 likes this.
  4. jn1520

jn1520 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks to both for your replies and feedback. Looking forward to unboxing my DX and gettin' started.

5. dragonbro

dragonbro Well-Known Member

Welcome :) from one noob to another :) This is not my first android phone, but it is the best! I just picked up my X about a week ago and I can't put it down.

Coming from the Dare you are going to be blown away! I would get used to the android system for a couple of days before rooting, just make sure everything is working well before you make any changes.

I read about z4root and went that route, super easy! Take some time to learn how to install the clockwork recovery and how to make a back up of your system BEFORE you change to a new ROM or Theme.....very important. This site is great, lots of help.......I know this from personal experience :)

jn1520 likes this.
  6. KingdomMan3

KingdomMan3 Well-Known Member

Just some advice. If you are going to use a custom ROM I would recommend researching Fission, RubiX, or Apex. I've tried both RubiX, and Apex and while Apex appearance is better RubiX seems to be more stable (for me). I've also heard Fission is a great alternative.

Since you are new to Android I will give you some great app suggestions and write out if you they are root apps or not beside them.

Beautiful Widgets
    Dolphin Browser HD (Best Browser)
    Handcent SMS (SMS Messenger replacement)
    Lookout (Backup service and anti-virus)
    Rom Manager (Root Only) (For backing up and trying new Roms)
    SwiftKey (Keyboard Replacement)
    Titanium Backup (MUST HAVE)(Root Only) Backup & Restore Apps and Data
    TuneWiki or WinAmp (Alternate music players)
    WidgetLocker (Lock screen replacement)
    LauncherPro (Home screen replacement)
    Droid X/2 Overclock (Root Only)
    Astro (File Manager)

jn1520 likes this.
  7. DoubleEagle

DoubleEagle Well-Known Member

Trust me I am also very new to this and used z4root, works like a charm! and can unroot too!!