Droid X Reception IssuesSupport

Last Updated:

1. pvliii

pvliii Member This Topic's Starter

Is anyone else experiencing poor reception on their Droid X? I've seen a couple threads with people saying they have excellent reception.

I just came from a Storm 2 which had excellent reception. Very rarely would it drop down to 1x other than in areas with know reception issues. The Droid X seems to drop to 1x way too frequently, and when it does have 3G it's usually very weak. Same issues with Wifi. At home I have three 802.11n access points. The Storm 2 and all other wireless devices at my house always show excellent signal strength, the DX will show 2-3 bars. Same issue at the office I'm it (in fact when I went to check the wifi signal it was at 4 bars and then disconnected completely). When the wifi connection drops it won't reconnect automatically, either.

I've done *228 option 2 multiple times, both at home (Long Island) and in NYC where I'm working. I've taken the case off (carbon fiber, by Motorola).

I'll call Verizon later, but figured I'd be able to stir up some ideas here.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. jazzman09

jazzman09 Well-Known Member

Yeah same problem here. Turning phone sideways gives it better reception and 3g performance

3. spiritedcharm

spiritedcharm Active Member

Same thing here. I work in a basement, so the signal isn't the best anyway, but my original Droid usually had two or three bars and never dropped 3G. I'm lucky to have one bar with the DX and 3G is rare. BIG bummer.

4. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

i'm having really rampant fluctuations.

5. jazzman09

jazzman09 Well-Known Member

Hopefully this update fixes it today

6. esn

esn Well-Known Member

Mine shows the same but the signal is there just as the battery indicator is incorrect i believe the signal one is to.

7. pvliii

pvliii Member This Topic's Starter

Could be possible, but doesn't explain the dropping of the wifi connection. I feel like it's more than a icon issues, I've had issues sending a mms, connecting/staying connected to Google Talk, etc.

8. Naughty#9

Naughty#9 Active Member

i have poor reception with static.

9. Old Man

Old Man Well-Known Member

Well, they could manipulate the bars and 3G indicator in the software/firmware to make you think you have better reception, but then that didn't pan out so well for some others so it's probably best avoided. ;)

Some of the results noted are not really that unexpected. A more finely tuned RF front end is going to be more sensitive and probably see more fluctuations. However, since the actual reception achieved incorporates factors other than just the overall signal strength, it is not real surprising that the reception could remain good even if the signal level varies. Ironically, the better a RF front end, the more likely for it to work with a lower signal level than it necessarily resulting in a higher signal level. In that sense, a phone that continued to work with one bar might be considered better than one that showed more bars but had trouble working under the same conditions.

It would be nice if there were some standards such as each bar indicating a standard certain signal level and S/N condition, but I don't think there is one and it would be difficult to introduce with so many existing phones already out there not conforming to such standards.

10. damstr

damstr Well-Known Member

Yep my reception has been really really crappy. Rarely get full bars. Right now my ipad has full 3G bars and my Droid X is jumping between 3 bars and 1-0 bars.

Speed test on my ipad is 2000+kbs while my Droid X isn't even breaking 350. This sucks.