• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X reviews not going so well?

You are very wrong in so many ways.
I want Android to gain popularity because I look thing Google makes.
Apple makes solid products, in general, but I hate Jobs and hate iphanboys.
And Yes i am saying Iphone 4 sold more than all 4 combined. Iphone 4 sold 3million as of july 16th. Evo sold out because they only had less than 100,000 units (I remember an article saying Sprint lied about their numbers).
I would think they couldn't sell too many Incs due to the supply issue so at most 100000. Droid at most sold 250,0000 probably less also due to being sold out. Galaxy S probably not too many. So all in all less than 1,000,000 in the same time Iphone sold 3,000,000. Android is catching up pretty fast, I would think they would have caught up by now if Google somehow made the HW as well.

all your #'s again are fallowed by "cant be more than" "at most" "probably not to many" and you say I couldn't be more wrong? If you want to go off of #'s that could be, the all to likely reality is once this group of phones sales die down, apples wad is spent and google OEMS will come out with another round starting with the Droid 2 and who know what else HTC has coming down the pipe.

Before you go telling me I couldn't be more wrong why don't you start by stating this is your opinion and these #'s you have come up with were plucked from your own mind and no real world source

Upvote 0
i felt that way until the day i got the x& now i really could care less about what any reviews have to say about it..this phone suites absolutely all my needs and i love it..i remember long saturday evenings me& my gf would sit and watch all reviews that had to do with the phone& we couldn't believe how biased most of them were..i do admit i was a lil discouraged but i went to verizon at 6:30 day of launch& got the first x in my city ha i haven't been happier this phone is a real work of art and in no way will i ever be disappointed in this decision because this phone is MY phone& its everything i could have asked and more coming from a wackberry storm 2 ha..be happy you got one of the most technologically advanced device in america..anyone who has this phone should be proud i know i am i did tests with gfs incredible& my lil brothers original& i found the x is just better but i also found its personal preference..this phone is amazing and i'm still super excited i have it i've waited so long haha :) have a nice day everyone

Upvote 0
I'm contradicting my previous posts, but I can see why some feel its "unimpressive". After owning the phone for the past 2.5 days, I can say it feels like the phone is more "Quantity over Quality". Yes, on paper, the 8MP camera, resolution, HDMI output are quite impressive, that is until you use the device. There are a ton of features and applications, none of which are more Quality than just another feature on the phone. Nothing really stands out as a viable or reliable alternative to features and applications found on other phones and devices. Even the HDMI output is a dire letdown because it is completely useless unless you are in gallery mode.

Upvote 0

That's world wide, I thought you were talking about just in the US since your data was about it. Anyway, there is no way for me to pull the sales data from Verizon, Sprint or whatever since they do not want to release it.
Here's Evo 4g Sprint misstated EVO 4G sales, by a lot -- Engadget
so its like 150k so now it should be 200k
X figures are yet to be seen
I don't have to explain about Incredible since there was a major supply issue.
Another way to look at it:
-last year when I looked at facebook, I saw many people update their profile or whatever via Iphone facebook app, didn't see any using android.
-This year I see "updated via Android" occasionally, and I see that as one sign of android's growth.
This is a really silly way to look at it but gives you an idea.
I am not trying to fight you, we both want Android to succeed but we can only do that when we recognize that we are behind and must innovate to get ahead. We've been doing good but let's not get complacent.
Good day and lets stop here.

Upvote 0
That's world wide, I thought you were talking about just in the US since your data was about it. Anyway, there is no way for me to pull the sales data from Verizon, Sprint or whatever since they do not want to release it.
-last year when I looked at facebook, I saw many people update their profile or whatever via Iphone facebook app, didn't see any using android.
-This year I see "updated via Android" occasionally, and I see that as one sign of android's growth.
I am not trying to fight you, we both want Android to succeed but we can only do that when we recognize that we are behind and must innovate to get ahead. We've been doing good but let's not get complacent.
Im not saying you are picking a fight but your so called facts are viral! basing you market share estimates on how many friends on facebook switched to the iphone app????

They point I am trying to make is you aren't dealing in facts and you are presenting your opinion as fact. You think the 3,000,000 sales of iphones was in the US only? You are mixing and matching facts or just basing these figures on what you think they are and you should stop

Upvote 0
Been playing with my brother's Droid X because he doesn't like it as he is staying with the iphone till Jan when supossedly iphone hits VZ, he has AT&T and thus the trial as he tried the reg Droid as well and didn't like that...

I currently have the Eris and can upgrade to X, probably just take by brother's trial which is going back tomorrow if I decide to upgrade.

There are some things I really like with the X, seems faster than my Eris although unlike many here my Eris works quite well for a eris with smaller processor. I like the larger X screen and it doesn't seem too big although not as nice as the Eris for carrying around in my pocket as I would never use a belt case, etc...

However the screen and speakers are inferior to the Eris IMO, especially outside. The Eris screen while small has an amazig brightness and clearity compared to the X....am what I am seeing the difference is the amoled screen in the Eris and curious why X would not have that. I have heard the new Samsung Fascinate coming to VZ will have a 4" super amoled screen that at first look seems amazing compared to either the Eris or X, anyone seen one of these yet?

So, not sold on the X since it will cost me $199 to trade up, so thinking about saving my trade up for possibly the Samsung, not interested in the iphone in Jan.....

Again, think the X is a nice phone, but was expecting more with the screen resolution/brightness/sharpness and the speakers, especially for speaker phone which I use a lot. A friend who also just got the X coming from a BB heard my Eris speaker phone and he was amazed at how loud it was......also curious why the web pages in the X would not pinch to zoom and fit nicely in the screen like the Eris easily does, maybe I was doing something wrong there...good luck with the X....

Upvote 0
^^You're entitled to you're opinion, but you're obviously being fooled by the over saturation of amoled screens. If you want accurate color reproduction, the X is superior. If you want bright colors and don't care if they are inaccurate, amoled is it.

Also while a loud speaker is very important to some people, sound quality is more important to me. Here is where the X excels. Put on some headphones turn up volume and be pleasantly surprised. I refuse to listen to any kind of music with the speaker. I actually like to hear some bass. If I have to play music, it's either via a stereo cable to some decent speakers or via the headphones.

Upvote 0
Thanks ....good points....I am outside a lot so maybe the amoled screen just appears easier for me to see outside my email and text messages. Regards the speaker, I never listen to music with it as I have rapsody and plug it into speakers at home to listen. I mainly use the speaker phone for biz calls with others listening, not a big deal....

I will say typing and texting is amazig with this larger keyboard as I flew through emails and texts. Even though I have the swype keyboard on my eris, the larger keyboard is so nice and I found myself really not using the swype that much and just typing normally, with the eris it is impossible for me to type without making numerous mistakes unless I use the swype feature. I also have the talk to text feature but have found that not that accurate....

Thanks for the feedback, I will play with the X some more tonight and in the morning...no question it is blazing fast especially on the net. I haven't noticed the lag opening apps that some of the reviewers complained about...

Upvote 0
Im not saying you are picking a fight but your so called facts are viral! basing you market share estimates on how many friends on facebook switched to the iphone app????

They point I am trying to make is you aren't dealing in facts and you are presenting your opinion as fact. You think the 3,000,000 sales of iphones was in the US only? You are mixing and matching facts or just basing these figures on what you think they are and you should stop

Gotta say that i agree here. It does sort of sound as though you're using some pretty vague evidence. I mean, i could realistically say that i only know one person with an iphone, not even an iphone 4, and then draw the conclusion, based on your logic, that the droid x has outsold the iphone because i know two people with a droid x.

No dispute that the iphone has sold more than whatever other phone, but when you start making bolder claims, a little more evidence should be provided or just the statement that what you are saying is your own assumption and not fact.

Upvote 0
Wait..so you have the phone in your hand..and you are thinking about going back to your dinc because of someone elses review...Not your own review of the product that is physically in your hand..I'm lost.

My exact thoughts.
You've got it in your hand. Form your own opinion.
test, review, example and decide for YOURSELF!!!!:thinking:

I am happy battery is doing way better don't need no reviewer to tell me what to spend my money on.

Hope you can figure out what's best for you by you.

Upvote 0
Also, i just want to say that i really think it sucks that a lot of great devices get overlooked and undersold because of bad reviews. It seems to me that some minor issues get blown out of proportion and the reviewers deem them as reason to say that nobody should buy the phone. Have there been any articles or reviews saying not to buy the iphone due to reception issues? (Honest question cuz i really don't know). And i mean, to me anyway, a phone that has a higher risk of dropping calls or reception when held naturally is a better candidate for the big "don't buy" than one that sends portrait pics in landscape.

IMO

Upvote 0
I just hate that the Droid X makes that beeping noise every time it focuses. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just every time it took a picture, but every time it tries (and retries and retries again) to focus??? That's just annoying and my biggest complaint about it. (I truly hate ringtones and keep my phones on vibrate 24/7)

Upvote 0
Been playing with my brother's Droid X because he doesn't like it as he is staying with the iphone till Jan when supossedly iphone hits VZ, he has AT&T and thus the trial as he tried the reg Droid as well and didn't like that...

I currently have the Eris and can upgrade to X, probably just take by brother's trial which is going back tomorrow if I decide to upgrade.

There are some things I really like with the X, seems faster than my Eris although unlike many here my Eris works quite well for a eris with smaller processor. I like the larger X screen and it doesn't seem too big although not as nice as the Eris for carrying around in my pocket as I would never use a belt case, etc...

However the screen and speakers are inferior to the Eris IMO, especially outside. The Eris screen while small has an amazig brightness and clearity compared to the X....am what I am seeing the difference is the amoled screen in the Eris and curious why X would not have that. I have heard the new Samsung Fascinate coming to VZ will have a 4" super amoled screen that at first look seems amazing compared to either the Eris or X, anyone seen one of these yet?

So, not sold on the X since it will cost me $199 to trade up, so thinking about saving my trade up for possibly the Samsung, not interested in the iphone in Jan.....

Again, think the X is a nice phone, but was expecting more with the screen resolution/brightness/sharpness and the speakers, especially for speaker phone which I use a lot. A friend who also just got the X coming from a BB heard my Eris speaker phone and he was amazed at how loud it was......also curious why the web pages in the X would not pinch to zoom and fit nicely in the screen like the Eris easily does, maybe I was doing something wrong there...good luck with the X....

the eris has an lcd screen not an amoled as far as i know, so i don't think that is the difference

Upvote 0
The MMS issue is a bug with Android, not Blur. Same thing happens on Sense, too.

The Miami Herald review was awful. The Gizmodo review was biased, and to be honest, the Engadget review was balanced.

I still maintain, if you are that easily swayed by what others say about a smart phone, you should just go back to using a flip phone. The X works for me. It's not perfect; I would love to root it and load CyanogenMod onto it, but that's not going to happen for a while.

Just my two cents.

Regarding your comment on MMS bug with sense, NO it DOES NOT happen on sense like it does on the X.

Upvote 0
All three of those sites gave the HTC Evo glowing reviews. Engaged gave a 9/10 to the EVO..tieing with the iPhone 4. I don't see how you guys can think these 3 sites are biased when they have given good reviews to plenty of Android devices in the past.

I don't think they are against Android but they do favor the Iphone. Also HTC has a little bit of an Intimidation factor. I think people in the industry know that HTC has a long history of being the go to OEM for smart phones. As I have said before I have allot of respect for the guys and phone dog and Pocket now but Pocket now has proclaimed there love of HTC and Noah has said that the Iphone is the phone to beat. This may be true but my point is Motorola doesn't have the backing in the smart phone industry these company's do. Up until recently the Droid was arguably the best all around hardware for the android platform but both of these reviewers seemed to really over look the phone in the early days but later came back around to it.

Upvote 0

hahahhaha now that its offical, android is outselling Apple, I just had to bring this post back to the top. Next time, do your homework

Upvote 0
the eris has an lcd screen not an amoled as far as i know, so i don't think that is the difference

Having just kicked my Eris to the curb for this X...
the Eris does not have an AMOLED screen. IMO, the X is easier to see outside, the speaker loudness is better (but not as good as the original Droid), the call quality and battery life are far superior, and the ability to grab a signal in a marginal area is better. I do miss some things about Sense and the trackball but I can deal. I love my X and don't care what any reviewer says. They are not me.

Reactions: lorick
Upvote 0
hahahhaha now that its offical, android is outselling Apple, I just had to bring this post back to the top. Next time, do your homework

This is absurd.

The iPhone is one model of phone sold on one carrier in the US. You're comparing that to a platform that's sold on all of the major carriers on a wide number of phone models?

I would be proud if someone held up my single model phone on a single carrier and used it as a benchmark against which an entire platform on all carriers was measured.

There's a lot of iPhone hate in these forums and to be quite honest, the Apple iOS platform drives me nuts a lot of the time (which is why I'm here: looking at a Droid X when my contract is up next month). But there are a lot of things that the iPhone does really well and the vitriol and contempt spewed against it is ridiculous.

I saw a chart that compared the iPhone sales with RIM smartphone sales. Someone was using it to prove that the iPhone wasn't as popular as everyone thought. All I could do was shake my head: RIM has been selling smartphones for 10+ years, has a top notch enterprise integration solution, sells a dozen models in multiple form factors and price points on ALL carriers, and someone is holding up a single phone on a single carrier against their entire business? It's flattery to Apple.

Don't fool yourselves. The iPhone is a benchmark against which the success of all other phones should be compared and until someone releases an Android phone that, on its own, is selling millions of units then there's a long way to go.

Upvote 0
iphone may only be one phone against many, but it is its own platform if iOS were spread across many devices (unlikey, the messiah would never allow that) than the iphone most likely would not have as high a numbers. It always amazes me when a product gets nothing but glowing positive reviews prior to launch, then once released suddenly we start getting negative reviews. I have had the phone since launch and love it. Of course I am coming from a Samsung Omnia with WinMo.

Upvote 0
I am not trying to piss people off so please dont get mad at me for these reviews, I didn't write them. It is frustrating to me to see such bad reviews after I spent money on this phone..Makes me think twice if I should just go back to my Incredible..I do like the Screen, the keyboard, stock texting, camera but I do notice some of the lag they talk about and I do miss some of the HTC widgets.

Motorola Droid X smartphone powerful but not all that impressive - Product Reviews - MiamiHerald.com

Motorola Droid X Review

Motorola Droid X review -- Engadget

Why do you care about reviews if you have the device? Are you happy with it? that's all that should matter.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones