• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid-X Rings instead of my Car's Bluetooth Stereo

Justintoxicated

Android Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2010
So when I get an incoming call, my droid-X drings instead of my car stereo. I have the car stereo set to ring, but it does not. So I constantly miss calls in my car to the point where I may as well not even have a bluetooth stereo. In California, we can't talk on the phone and drive so it's killing me that this does not work after investing money into the system.

Never had a problem on my blackberry.

basically if I have the stereo on, I'm not going to hear my phone ringing, I guess I could set it to auto answer (not sure if that works yet either) but I like to see the number from who is calling first on my CD Player's face.

Anyone else notice this problem?

Nope! So far my DX seems to work fine with my cars Head unit... What brand/model car stereo are you trying to use with your phone? Have you checked to see if the manufacturer has any recent firmware updates available?

I also notice that you are using a leaked release on your DX. While I can't prove that this may be contributing to the problem, it's prudent to consider that your leaked 2.2 may not function exactly the same as my OTA 2.2.

Have you tried the phone with any Bluetooth headsets? Does the ringer seem to work properly with these?

Upvote 0
Nope! So far my DX seems to work fine with my cars Head unit... What brand/model car stereo are you trying to use with your phone? Have you checked to see if the manufacturer has any recent firmware updates available?

I also notice that you are using a leaked release on your DX. While I can't prove that this may be contributing to the problem, it's prudent to consider that your leaked 2.2 may not function exactly the same as my OTA 2.2.

Have you tried the phone with any Bluetooth headsets? Does the ringer seem to work properly with these?

I have an Eclipse CD7200 mkII in my truck and an Eclipse CD3200 in my commuter car. I have the same problem with both.

Not even sure where my headset is, I never use it.

Upvote 0
I have an Eclipse CD7200 mkII in my truck and an Eclipse CD3200 in my commuter car. I have the same problem with both.

Not even sure where my headset is, I never use it.

Well my first guess is that what you are seeing is a specific incompatibility between the Bluetooth stack in the phone and the Ecclipse blue tooth stack.

I currently use my DX paired with a Clarion head unit, a Plantronics Voyager Pro headset, and a Jabra BT3010 headset. With each listed Bluetooth device the DX seems to function properly. Does this prove that you have an Eclipse problem? Absolutely not... it simply proves that the DX should be capable of doing what you ask.

ECLIPSE CD/USB Multi-Source Tuner with Bluetooth wireless technology CD7200 mkII | Fujitsu Ten
ECLIPSE CD/USB Multi-Source Receiver with Bluetooth wireless technology CD3200 | Fujitsu Ten

FYI... From briefly looking at the specifications for the two stereo's you reference, it doesn't look like Eclipse provided any firmware updates for either deck.

Upvote 0
Well my first guess is that what you are seeing is a specific incompatibility between the Bluetooth stack in the phone and the Ecclipse blue tooth stack.

I currently use my DX paired with a Clarion head unit, a Plantronics Voyager Pro headset, and a Jabra BT3010 headset. With each listed Bluetooth device the DX seems to function properly. Does this prove that you have an Eclipse problem? Absolutely not... it simply proves that the DX should be capable of doing what you ask.

ECLIPSE CD/USB Multi-Source Tuner with Bluetooth wireless technology CD7200 mkII | Fujitsu Ten
ECLIPSE CD/USB Multi-Source Receiver with Bluetooth wireless technology CD3200 | Fujitsu Ten

FYI... From briefly looking at the specifications for the two stereo's you reference, it doesn't look like Eclipse provided any firmware updates for either deck.

It sure would be a shame to have to buy a a couple new $500 car stereos every 2 years to get Bluetooth to work with my phone correctly. I think I'd be better off just getting a different phone. Even my old basic phones work with my HU's. Damn, now I wonder which android phone would work, or if I would need to downgrade to a blackberry. I really really love this phone but this is a huge problem for me....

Upvote 0
It sure would be a shame to have to buy a a couple new $500 car stereos every 2 years to get Bluetooth to work with my phone correctly. I think I'd be better off just getting a different phone. Even my old basic phones work with my HU's. Damn, now I wonder which android phone would work, or if I would need to downgrade to a blackberry. I really really love this phone but this is a huge problem for me....

Unfortunately this isn't all that unusual! I've had this issue follow me for the last four of five Windows Mobile phones I've owned. One works well with bluetooth headset A while not with bluetooth headset B. The next may not work with bluetooth headset A. The next may work with both.

I recently replaced an Alpine head unit in my car with a Clarion. I could never get my old Samsung Omnia to transfer the phone directory to the Alpine. With my Droid X and the Clarion I don't have any issues connecting or transferring data (other than it being somewhat slow).

Bluetooth as a standard needs further development and standardization in terms of how bluetooth stacks are implemented. This will likely happen in time but right now it's still something of a "free for all"...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones