Droid X shipping with 2.1 intentionally?

Last Updated:

1. deftdrummer

deftdrummer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 13, 2009
    I just can't help but wonder if the Droid X is going to be released with 2.1 deliberately. I mean, of course its deliberate but I believe it can be considered a Vanilla class device, so it kinda makes sense. Look at it like just another way to beat out the iPhone 4, since there will undoubtedly be a root for the X within days. The fact that it has 2.1 upon shipping makes it that much easier I would think. I know it has some degree of Moto's custom tweaks but there should be much demand to root this phone I would think. Then again maybe for most people the addition of wifi tethering the legit way on 2.2 would deter people - especially since its clocked at 1ghz.

Even still....it ships with 2.1 which lacks wifi tethering unless rooted.

Just food for thought.

2. trav473

trav473 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    you don't think Verizon can build an app for wifi tethering with out root????? as far as shipping with out 2.2, my thoughts are on the fact that pretty much all the phones that will be on the shelves have been in boxes for the past 3+ months, ie before 2.2 was available.
  3. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Droid X is shipping w/ Ninjablur/motoblur right? So that would not make it vanilla class device anymore. Also they probable didnt get the coding for the Droid X in time to meet production for the sale dates. They will be getting it shortly afterwards though. Also if you read the other threads about tethering, verizon sends you to a page to upgrade your service to include tethering while on a 2.2 rom. So verizon has blocked that app from working without you paying the x dollars for 5 gig cap.