Droid X Signal problems?Support

Last Updated:

1. gadgetmonster

gadgetmonster Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi folks, i'm noticing some weird signal issues, i'm not sure if its just normal network issues as i'm new to verizon from at&t as of yesterday. My X seems to be switching to 1x, back to 3g, and then sometimes loosing network completely and only a reboot will be able to get signal back again(it has only done that 2x). I brought it into Verizon just now and they said it might be normal due to all the activations yesterday. They said if it continues, to bring it in, and they will do a master reset(of course I loose all data/apps) so i said i'd hang onto it for another day or two before I brought it back if that continues.

Any of y'all having the same issue, is this truly normal, potential bad phone?

Love the phone so far, 100x better than my iphone.

thanks

gadgetmonster

Advertisement
  2. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

Could be a bum phone. If you want to wait, you can see if it improves. But you have the right to return it as a defective device if you want.

Just an fyi, the phone will switch to 1x when it sends/receives a SMS. Most times you may not notice the display change, but sometimes if the phone is busy doing other stuff it may show it.

3. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Well-Known Member

Mine does the same thing. It will completely loose signal then return to 3G then go back to 1x. It's annoying. I may have to return it and go back to AT&T cause I have to have an operational phone for work.

4. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

Again, could be a defective device. You can return it for a new one and see if that resolves your problem.

It could also be you're in a marginal coverage area.

5. Nicks88

Nicks88 Well-Known Member

You're holding it wrong.

novemberwhiskey likes this.
  6. gadgetmonster

haha, no, that can't be it. I sat mine next to another one, and it had full 3G bars, and mine was on 1x. Same area, the verizon guy said it could also be that the other had aquired to d/l data or for some other reason while mine had not. I tried to take a picture of it but by the time i would take the picture, 3G would be back, then gone again, then back.

I think if it continues, i'll bring it to the verizon store after work and make them swap it out if they have any others. 2yrs

7. Ragin Cajun

It's definitely not coverage area as I have a tower on top of the building I work at. We have a verizon, AT&T and tmobile tower at different locations on the building. It's odd though. I can watch it switch from CDMA-1xrtt to CDMA-evdo rev.a.

8. gadgetmonster

.....could the automatic task killer have anything to do with this?

9. gadgetmonster

I'm noticing it also when i turn the screen off, and then back on, it completely looses service, goes to 1x and then to 3g......

10. Ragin Cajun

Yep mine does the same thing.

11. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

verizon was having trouble yesterday with all the new X activations and data not activating on the phones. try *22899 and see if that helps

edit: sorry if you're new to verizon you might not know but, dial that number and hit send. let it sit for a few minutes while it programs then the phone should reboot.

12. gadgetmonster

ok, did the *# send thing, it said activated but did not reboot, so i powered off, back on, will let you know if that made a difference. Thanks!

13. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

You can monitor your signal by dialing this:

*#*#4636#*#*

Select Phone information

14. gadgetmonster

I am still loosing carrier lock, going to 1x, then back to 3g when turning the screen off/on.

15. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

I would take it to a store and exchange it. Your phone shouldn't perform like that, unless you're in a marginal area.

16. gadgetmonster

Is anyone else able to duplicate the loss of service, 1x, to 3g event when hitting the screen on/of button at the top?

17. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

18. gadgetmonster

Nope, it doesn't:)

19. gadgetmonster

I dont know that what i'm seeing when i turn the display on/off is affecting anything either...i still get notifications when its off......i'll give it the weekend and see what happens, hanging out with a buddy tomorrow that has an original droid so we'll see how mine compares.

20. sjones765

sjones765 Well-Known Member

Ok, When you drop down from 3g, is your Wifi on? I can duplicate your problem when its on. But once I turn wifi off it goes to 3g. Reading up on it, there seems to be an issue with the wifi. Look up wififixer on the market. I can confirm that it does work. Should be a work around till motorola resolves the issue.
    Also the dropping down when the screen is off. If im not mistaken, thats part of the smart battery (it does it to conserve).

21. gadgetmonster

hi, no, wifi was off..i tried changing battery mode to performance, still the same issue. Can you turn it off all together? It doesn't seem to loose service until i power the display back on after it has been off.

22. gadgetmonster

also, it doesn't always do it the first time after turning it back on, but if i turn it off and then back on again, every time it happens.....strange.

23. sjones765

sjones765 Well-Known Member

It does go back to 3g though correct? And you can turn off wifi completly. Id start there and try to isolate the problem a little more. If all else fails exchange it. But id start the wifi route first. like I said was the only way I got it to duplicate the problem all the time.

24. gadgetmonster

yes, always goes back, starts at either 1x or no service, then goes back to 3g, but, wifi was and has been off all day when this has happened.

25. gadgetmonster

Well, i shouldn't say always, 2x today, it stuck on no-service and i had to reboot to get it back...but, i was in the middle of a metal building when that hapenned, but i couldn't get it to reaquire even after going back outside, i had to reboot it....turning airplane mode off/on didn't work