• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X Signal problems?

verizon was having trouble yesterday with all the new X activations and data not activating on the phones. try *22899 and see if that helps

edit: sorry if you're new to verizon you might not know but, dial that number and hit send. let it sit for a few minutes while it programs then the phone should reboot.

what does *22899 do instead of *228 and programming your phone again? Also what does reprogramming your phone do when you already have programmed it once?

Upvote 0
I think i have figured out the problem folks, it was the advanced app killer causing my issues.......i uninstalled it and i no longer have the loss of bluetooth streaming when the phone screen shuts off nor do i have the drop of signal, switch to 1x and back to 3g when turning the display on and off. So, either something was fixed in the background this afternoon or the advanced app killer was the problem.

Upvote 0
Ragin Cajun, uninstall advanced ap killer, then reboot......bet it fixes your issue if its the same as what I had.
THanks. I replied to your pm also. I did the *22899 deal, and it may have seemed to help. I will know more tomorrow when I go to work since I had the majority of the issues there. It may very well be a signal strength issue but Id imagine it would at least stay on EVDO and the bars fluctuate, but completely dropping to 1X and occasionally No Service is just unacceptable.

Upvote 0
I think i have figured out the problem folks, it was the advanced app killer causing my issues.......i uninstalled it and i no longer have the loss of bluetooth streaming when the phone screen shuts off nor do i have the drop of signal, switch to 1x and back to 3g when turning the display on and off. So, either something was fixed in the background this afternoon or the advanced app killer was the problem.

You guys are killing your apps and connections with the task killer when you put the phone to sleep.
YOU DON"T WANT TO DO THAT.
That's why everything is dead when you wake it up. It all has to reload and restart.

Google "Why task killers are bad" Its well documented.

Simple explanation is those task in the background are either needed or they're suspended waiting for you to return. Just because they are there doesn't mean they are doing anything. Think of it as windows prefetch feature. If the system needs the resources it will kill the proper task.

Upvote 0
Hey peeps. I was just roaming around to see what actual users think about the X. I had a DINC for 3 weeks but took it back because the actual telephone part of it didn't work. Cost me $55 in re-stock fees and to re-activate my BBerry, which hurt, but at least I can travel around Los Angeles and be able to place, receive, and maintain phone calls reliably again.

I was really hoping that since Motorola made the X, that it would have a better radio in it. But from what I've been reading, it seems to have almost exactly the same problems even though it's got completely different hardware.

So I guess I'll suffer along with my beat up old Blackberry until the NEXT new awesome Android phone comes along on Verizon. Or wait and see if it really is a software issue with 2.1 that can be fixed with a firmware update, and then I might go back and pick up an X or another Incredible since I like everything about them so much...but reliable telephone service is absolutely essential.

FWIW, I live about 2000 feet from a Verizon tower. With the DINC sitting on my desk it almost never had more than one bar, rarely 3G, and was unreliable as a telephone. Meanwhile, my 8330 Curve was getting full bars and was perfectly reliable for voice. I don't want to repeat that cycle all over again, so it sounds like the X is not ready for prime time yet, and neither is the Incredible, so I suspect there's an issue with Verizon and all 2.1 Android phones in certain markets. I can see the VZW tower from the roof of my house, and the phone part of it still didn't work well enough.

Sad to hear that so many people are having essentially the same problems with the X. Oh, and there's a corporate VZW store that's about 800 feet from the tower, and the demo X I played with showed minimal signal strength, just like the Incredible did.

Oh well. I still have a phone that works. A very boring phone, but I can drive all over LA including tunnels and canyons and maintain a phone call. When the Android phones work as well, I'll get one because they're pretty awesome, and I miss everything about the Incredible except unreliable telephony, and trouble reading the screen in broad daylight.

For me, a smartphone is a tool not a toy, and while I enjoy the toy aspects of the VZW Android devices, they just aren't very good tools. At least not where I live and work and need a cell PHONE I can count on.

BTW, a friend of mine just picked up an iPhone 4. He's left handed. I lost count of how many times I handed him my creaky old Blackberry so he could either place or continue an important phone call. Also a wondrous device, except for making phone calls with.

Upvote 0
Hey peeps. I was just roaming around to see what actual users think about the X. I had a DINC for 3 weeks but took it back because the actual telephone part of it didn't work. Cost me $55 in re-stock fees and to re-activate my BBerry, which hurt, but at least I can travel around Los Angeles and be able to place, receive, and maintain phone calls reliably again.

I was really hoping that since Motorola made the X, that it would have a better radio in it. But from what I've been reading, it seems to have almost exactly the same problems even though it's got completely different hardware.

So I guess I'll suffer along with my beat up old Blackberry until the NEXT new awesome Android phone comes along on Verizon. Or wait and see if it really is a software issue with 2.1 that can be fixed with a firmware update, and then I might go back and pick up an X or another Incredible since I like everything about them so much...but reliable telephone service is absolutely essential.

FWIW, I live about 2000 feet from a Verizon tower. With the DINC sitting on my desk it almost never had more than one bar, rarely 3G, and was unreliable as a telephone. Meanwhile, my 8330 Curve was getting full bars and was perfectly reliable for voice. I don't want to repeat that cycle all over again, so it sounds like the X is not ready for prime time yet, and neither is the Incredible, so I suspect there's an issue with Verizon and all 2.1 Android phones in certain markets. I can see the VZW tower from the roof of my house, and the phone part of it still didn't work well enough.

Sad to hear that so many people are having essentially the same problems with the X. Oh, and there's a corporate VZW store that's about 800 feet from the tower, and the demo X I played with showed minimal signal strength, just like the Incredible did.

Oh well. I still have a phone that works. A very boring phone, but I can drive all over LA including tunnels and canyons and maintain a phone call. When the Android phones work as well, I'll get one because they're pretty awesome, and I miss everything about the Incredible except unreliable telephony, and trouble reading the screen in broad daylight.

For me, a smartphone is a tool not a toy, and while I enjoy the toy aspects of the VZW Android devices, they just aren't very good tools. At least not where I live and work and need a cell PHONE I can count on.

BTW, a friend of mine just picked up an iPhone 4. He's left handed. I lost count of how many times I handed him my creaky old Blackberry so he could either place or continue an important phone call. Also a wondrous device, except for making phone calls with.

Yes it is sad it does, if you turn it sideways you can get data back usually and surf internet, but the signal is really bad compared to other phones, they need to fix it.

Upvote 0
Ok, there was an update a few days ago that updated the antenna. This issue might have been fixed with that. Cuz I also thought there was an antenna issue, but I cant reproduce it anymore. And some ppl that got the update says its working fine now.

This is not like the iPhone 4 issue.....lol

And remember ppl, these are first batch phones. Its very possible some of yall just have bad phones. Did anyone in here get the OTA update the other day?

Cuz the update gave me better or accurate reception. The X has better reception than my rooted Droid running Froyo, that had an antenna update that made my reception better than whe I was running 2.1.

See how the update works. Not everyone is having signal problems.

Upvote 0
I don't think this is a problem associated with wifi because I don't use wifi at all and I have this problem too. Although, I don't think my problem is as profound as yours. My signal is doing exactly what yours is doing, except it's about once a day as opposed to all the time (*knock on wood*) and I generally don't have to reboot to get the signal back (*knock on wood again*). So because it sounds like a lot of people are having this problem, except for tiny variations in it, I would say it is most likely a software glitch. I was hoping it'd get fixed with .604, but it didn't for me (although .604 did help my battery life significantly) so now I am hoping it gets fixed with the next OTA. I also don't think it has to do with app killer cause I don't use it at all.

Upvote 0
Regarding task killers:

You can set them up a couple of different ways. One way is automatic, where the task killer will stop apps for you. The other way is manual, where you specifically open the task killer and stop tasks yourself. The former is not really what you want to do on Android, but the latter can certainly come in handy when a task is not responding or when you want to manually stop a task.

The latter is how I have ATK set up and it has never caused any problems for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones