Droid X versus point & shoot

Last Updated:

1. Grad

Grad Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have seen a lot of back and forth about the Droid X camera quality and if it is comparable to a point and shoot camera. I think we can all agree that in low light situations, it is certainly not. But what about outside, when you are just taking a snapshot or are on vacation with some friends? Let's face it, a lot of our pics are snapped and then used on the web, either in a forum or on Facebook. So I kind of recreated that with the Droid and a few point and shoot cameras. All cameras were shot in auto mode at full resolution and quality. The images were then taken into Photoshop and resized to 800x600, which is a pretty common web size. Nothing else was done to them whatsoever. How does the Droid X compare? Let's find out...

Olympus Stylus 770SW:
    [​IMG]

Canon PowerShot A550:
    [​IMG]

Canon PowerShot A590 IS: (the owner of the truck left before I could snap this one)
    [​IMG]

Motorola Droid X:
    [​IMG]

So for web work, it looks great and will do just fine...in fact it might be better than some point and shoots. Now let's do a 100% crop of each image:

Olympus Stylus 770 SW:
    [​IMG]

Canon Powershot A550:
    [​IMG]

Canon Powershot A590 IS:
    [​IMG]

Droid X:
    [​IMG]

Not so good for the 100%. This will affect printmaking, particularly larger prints. I would guess that the Droid X will make a nice 3x5 and 4x6, a pretty good 8x10, but anything over that will be pretty bad as far as quality.

Conclusion? For what most of us need, most of the time, the Droid X will be great. However, if you're at a bar with friends? Not gonna be that great. On vacation and want to make a nice large print of El Capitan? Make sure you have a dedicated camera.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

nice job.

3. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Works for me! But then again I'd reach for my Canon DSLR or my SX120 IS well before I'd reach for my DX. I guess I'm just old school in the thinking that the best camera for the job is a camera... and not typically a camera phone. LOL

4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Well-Known Member

Tbh, i think the cropped droid x shot looks better than the cropped olympus shot. Everything looks more pixelated and crushed together in the dedicated camera shot, which is amazing because we're comparing it to a freaking cell phone!

I'm gonna have to agree with the overall idea...inside, not so hot. Outside? As good as a point and shoot when you have enough light

5. Grad

Grad Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Oh absolutely, but I don't always carry my dSLR or even point and shoot with me. I am just pretty excited that the Droid X will do the job for most situations.

6. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

For standard pictures, especially for Facebook, this camera is excellent.

7. T66T

T66T Well-Known Member

of course the camera on the droid x isnt going to be better than a canon