• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X vs Droid 2

I'll keep my Droid X based on the camera alone. The Droid 2's camera can not even compare to the X's camera. Also... I can't go back to any screen lower than perhaps a 4". I'm so used to the large screen of the X that anything lower (3.7" or lower) look way too tiny.

I feel exactly the same, plus I bought the Droid because it was the first phone as good as the iPhone. It was always a temporary solution though because of the physical keyboard. Physical keyboards became obsolete in 2007 thanks to apple (not that I would ever go back now) and I will never go back to a phone with a physical keyboard regardless of specs.

Upvote 0
My free upgrade has been up for about a month or so, and i'm still VERY VERY torn between the Dx and D2. Those of you DroidX users how do you feel your X is Speed wise and such Vs the D2?

Currently I have an Eris and this thing is just garbage after the last update. The screen lag and such is just killing me, before that I had a BB Curve which I loved and i'm debating going back to a keyboard setup (Have Swype beta I am familiar with it).

Should the question/answer be just as simple as do I want a keyboard or not? I just don't understand why i'm so conflicted between the two phones.

Upvote 0
I had the Droid X for about 2 weeks and decided to try out the Droid 2. I used the Droid 2 for about 2 days before I began to miss the Droid X's display and superior camera. During my time with the Droid 2, I didn't notice any difference in terms of speed between the two phones even though the Droid 2 does have Froyo.

I personally love my Droid X more than I did the Droid 2. I would only recommend the Droid 2 over the Droid X if you are absolutely hell-bent on having a physical keyboard or if the Droid X is too big for you and even then I would recommend the Droid Incredible instead of the Droid 2. It all comes down to personal preference. Do you want a smaller display, physical keyboard and lower quality camera? Or do you want a bigger screen and a HD camera?

Upvote 0
I have the DroidX and my brother sitting next to me has the D2. Both are great phones. Ask yourself, do you want a hardware keyboard? Would you benefit from the bigger screen and "better" camera? and most importantly do you need it now. If you want it tomorrow obviously the DX is out of the picture.

You won't go wrong with either phone. I am somewhat jealous of my brothers D2 keyboard since he can use it on the GBA emulator

Upvote 0
I'm upgrading from an eris as well. And not just any eris, i feel like i have the worst eris ever made. I'm still trying to decide whether to sell it or take the pleasure in throwing it on the ground as hard as i can

I had the choice between the x and droid 2 because i was at one of the few stores that had both in stock yesterday. I've been so committed to getting the x ever since it came out i never even looked at the droid 2. Having a dinky little POS eris with it's 3.2 inch screen, i was stuck in that "i'm sick of small. I want BIGGER. BIGGER!" mentality so whereas others would complain about how big the x was and not pocketable, i was stuck on "screw it. Bigger is better baby". So, imagine my shock when i finally try it in the store yesterday and i go into total reversal mode of "uh, big is great. But this is just huge".

Then i tried to convince myself to play with it and that i might like it and get used to the big screen and blah blah. Then i saw how laggy it was. And all these little things about the x just started to really turn me off. People use key buzzwords when talking about these products, much like a fan of cars talks about their engine. When they say "HD cam" you think that's gotta be awesome. Til you see what it really is. It's not horrible but it's not exactly what you think when you hear HD either. So from then on, i decided the camera was out of the equation.

I'm big into swype, that's why droid 2 wasn't even on my radar. But surprisingly, the keyboard on the droid 2 feels pretty effing cool. The d-pad for games and scrolling was a nice bonus and it doesn't add much bulk.

Having read a million reviews and refreshing the search "droid x" on youtube to see all the new videos brainwashed me a little. Everyone reviewing (except phonedog) talked about how small the droid 2 screen was compared to the droid x, but to me anyway it felt huge. Slightly bigger than my old iPhone. So for me anyway, i choose the droid 2. Ran smoother, keyboard was a surprising pro instead of a con, the camera isn't nearly as bad as they say, 2.2 out of the box, screen is effing beautiful and it's in stock everywhere you go so no backorder. What if my phone breaks and i need a new one? Would they send it to me right then or would there be a backorder? I don't know. Kinda worried me.

Cash in hand, droid 2 felt like the better deal to me. But really, i was set on the x for the past month and it took one trip to verizon to change my mind. You won't know how you feel until you hold them both in your hand. X is great if it's what you want but you need to be sure it's what you want. We can talk specs and watch youtube videos/reviews til our eyes burn out, but until you hold it...like i said. You won't know. Specs and user experience can be very different things

Upvote 0
i currently am using both, and i personally would pick the droid x if i had to choose. the large screen still impresses me every day. i find that i hardly ever use the slide out keyboard on the 2, except when in the terminal. i think swype is faster and more efficient than the physical keyboard.

but, that's just my $.02. it all comes down to personal preference.

edit: CaptainObvious strikes again! heh. really though, that was a great review. it just goes to show just how personal the decision is. you need to go hold both. put both in your pocket (verizon stores have exact weight replicas you can do this with), and play with both. if you're still on the fence, just go with your gut. if, after nearly a month, you feel like you made the wrong decision, return it and go with the other.

Upvote 0
Cap i'm not gonna lie that was an amazing review. I was under the same mindset to be honest about the smaller size and the crappy Eris. While I won't say my mind is completely made up on the D2 vs X I will def have to go to the store again tmw and get some face time in with both, while i'm not a huge multimedia kinda guy I do like large screen for my viewing pleasure of websites and stuff like that. Primarily I just screw around with my phone during my lunch breaks at work and actually being able to enjoy games and such would be great. I appreciate the different mindset and will def have to take a 5th or 6th look again :p

Upvote 0
I love my droid x it's the best phone I've ever owned..out has so many features that the droid 2 simply can't match..the screen is amazing and the 720p video is out of this world..both phones cost the same so you'll be cheating yourself out of great features just for a keyboard..to me the x keyboard is really great..I'm a big fan of the x and I believe no other phone is as good this one..but o out all comes down to what you need..the great features don't mean anything if you don't use them..but I would definitely recommend this phone over any other :)

Upvote 0
I had the Droid X and traded it for the Droid 2. What a foolish foolish mistake. I am desperately looking around town for a Droid X. My Droid 2 isn't any faster than the Droid X I had. Web browsing isn't as easy. On the Droid X, I rarely had to zoom in...the display was so large, everything was usually legible when the page loaded up. With the Droid 2, I frequently have to zoom in.

The keyboard on the Droid 2 is definitely fantastic. A definite vast improvement over the piece of junk that was the Droid 1 keyboard. But I really miss the display and camera of the Droid X. When I was playing with both phones the day I switched, I didn't realize that I would miss it this much...but I really do.

I am not sure if or when Motorola has plans to update the Droid 2 with a HD camera. I really hope they do...and soon.

i hope you find one, but technically, verizon only allows you to do one return within the 30 days. hopefully they will make an exception.

Upvote 0
i hope you find one, but technically, verizon only allows you to do one return within the 30 days. hopefully they will make an exception.

I did already find a Droid X thankfully. I bought the Droid 2 at Best Buy and they have a fantastic return and exchange policy. I was able to find the Droid X at a Best Buy mobile that was in a mall near me. Even though it wasn't an official Best Buy store, they let me come there and exchange my Droid 2 for the Droid X completely free of charge. They didn't charge me a restocking fee for the Droid 2.

It was awesome.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones