Droid X vs Epic 4G

Last Updated:

1. darksoul

darksoul Active Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, I did a search, but didn't come up with any results comparing these two. Coming from ip, I'm totally new to the Android world. So far I'm really liking my DX. But, I think I like the new Samsung Epic 4g design better.

My current ip is thru my employer/att. My wife & son are on Sprint, they have the unlimited family everything plan. I still have three weeks to return the DX and cancell my V-plan, and pay the $50 cancellation penalty.. i'm ok w/that.

If I do switch to the Epic4g, are there any features/functions I'll be missing? Feedack appreciated..

Advertisement
  2. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Nope, Epic should be a great device:

1. Sweet spot size display
    2. Super amoled
    3. Signal reception reports are good
    4. Micosd is hot swappable
    5. Keyboard :)
    6. Hummingbird is a media hound and designed as a main focus for video playback & audio quality
    7. 8gb built in memory- 8 less than Att & Tmo, but 6 more than VZW....

Main dings though are touch wiz (IMO) and the likely scenario that 2.2 is the only main update it gets. Sammy have already stated the only update they will guarantee is 2.2. From Sammy, this is basically "saying that will be it".

The Sprint coverage issue is another ding- VZW is far better in the KY, TN, OH & WV areas I dwell.

3. dguy

dguy Well-Known Member

Both are great devices, anyone would be happy with either.

The carrier is probably the main thing you have to consider when deciding between these two phones. Verizon is a lot better than Sprint. The difference in how many places both carriers have 3G is astronomical. Sprint does roam on Verizon, but you don't get 3G, you get 1G. If you roam for over 200MB per month, Sprint will terminate your contract.

http://coverage.sprintpcs.com/images/mapdatasprintUS.gif

See the orange? That's where you can get 3G on Sprint.

http://vzwmap.verizonwireless.com/dotcom/coveragelocator/images/maps/voiceandmessaging.jpg

See the red? That's where 3G is on Verizon.

darksoul likes this.
  4. darksoul

darksoul Active Member This Topic's Starter

5. ghdtpdna

ghdtpdna Well-Known Member

SAMOLED is not always a plus, and depends on your usage, but make your own decision after looking at the screen.
    I don't know of anyone who wants a hw keyboard on a large phone like that.
    I am sure it is going to be fairly thick and heave, Epic 4g is.
    Almost everyone who wants a keyboard has never used a good on-screen keyboard.
    I would love a phone with hummingbird + vanilla android + ffc (optional) + 4.3inch screen + form factor of droid X + LCD screen.