Droid X vs Incredible vs Waiting?

Last Updated:

1. Dregun

Dregun Member This Topic's Starter

My employer upgraded our phones last year to the Motorolla Droid after having windows mobile for a few years and I've been hooked on the Android platform since.

However my wife is currently with AT&T and our contract term was finished 3 months ago and its about time to get her a new phone. I'm the one who forced her to get a Samsung Eternity even though she wanted a Sony Ericson Walkman phone because it was "pink" and didn't like my old touch phone (WM before I got the droid). It didn't take long for her to fall in love with her new touch screen phone and all the features it was capable of.

AT&T has a limited amount of Android phones and quite frankly only 1 or 2 of them I would even consider purchasing due to some only having 1.7 software and others still at a 3mp camera etc etc. Further salt on the wound is the fact that in our area AT&T does not offer 3G coverage but verizon does. In fact the closest city with 3G coverage is over 100 miles away while verizon has 3G pretty much everywhere we go.

So I'm making the switch and am again comtemplating making the decision for my wife on what phone I will get her. Things I am weighing in on my decision for what phone to get her are these listed below.

What I KNOW she wants - as upgrade from current phone:
    A decent camera since she takes pictures of our son constantly
    Slide out keyboard
    To be able to upload pictures to facebook (limited speed for ATT wont let her)
    Navigation
    Lots of storage space on the phone/better storage managment
    Email access (Gmail, yahoo etc etc) no IMAP
    Good touch screen response
    Better speaker phone
    Social Apps

Both the Droid X and the Incredible are great phones and will do many things she wants to do. Niether of them have slide out keyboards and that is why I was leaning towards the X. Also with 3.0 requesting a 1ghz processor and 512 ram I thought the dedicated graphics in the X might give it a better chance to recieve the 3.0 upgrade. The larger screen would mean she could see pictures better and the touch screen keyboard would be much easier for her to use with its larger size. While some might see the physical buttons as being "cheap" I know I'm frustrated by the capacitve buttons on my droid getting pressed when I don't want them to be and I know she would feel the same way.

However, the size of the phone might be an issue considering she has small hands and likes to put her phone in her pocket or the diaper bag. Its size is the only reason I'm comtemplating the increadible.

Then of course I could just wait to see what new phones come out during the holidays but I'm afraid they might drop either the increadible or X in favor of new phones and those new phones might not be that much if at all better then the X or increadible.

Any suggestions?

One final note, I am not going to purchase the Droid or any phone equal or less then it for her. If I get either the X or the Increadible for her and she really hates not having a slide out keyboard and finds them to be "too much phone" for her then I would definately consider swapping phones with her and activating the X for work and the Droid for her.

Advertisement
  2. buckguin

buckguin Well-Known Member

If she wants a slide out keyboard, why not get the Droid 2? Its basically the same as the Droid X (OS wise) with a tad bit smaller screen and a slideout keyboard.

3. trav473

trav473 Well-Known Member

+1 on this suggestion, obviously you are happy with your droid, the droid 2 has the same processor/memory/OS as the X as stated above, plus the keyboard is better than the D1, (IMO)

oh, and same size screen as the DInc, without Sense!!

4. dawnierae

dawnierae Well-Known Member

And the camera is slightly inferior to the X (5mp on the D2 vs 8mp on the X). But if the physical keyboard is a bigger issue, then the difference in camera should be negligible.

5. Dregun

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I've glanced over the Droid 2 completely..I'll take a look into it and see what it has!

I mentioned last night that her new phone might not have a slide out keyboard and she just looked at me and said.

Her: "You choose what phone to get me, or I'm going to be frustrated"

Me: "Um, ok; but I want your input on it"

Her: "No, because if I choose the phone you're going to have to get it all setup for me and I don't want to hear you complaining that it doesn't do the stuff you think it should or "I told you you should have gotten the other phone"

Me: "Oh shit, I'm like that!!!"

Her: "Yeah, I'll be happy with pretty much anything as long as I don't have to hear you complain about it"

I LOL'd all night!!

6. buckguin

buckguin Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have it good..haha Just remember, really, you cant go wrong with an X, Dinc or 2 so it should be win/win no matter what. Basically, it breaks down like this.

Get the:
    Droid X if you like a huge screen.
    Droid Incredible if you like HTC Sense and a smaller phone/screen.
    Droid 2 if you prefer a slideout keyboard.

7. Dregun

It seemed as though the clouds parted and sent down the Droid 2.

I was wrong to completly glance over the Droid2, it has the qwerty keyboard she wanted, the speed of both the X and increadible and has some social apps she will like using.

On top of that I got it from Amazon for 0.01 while I was going to pay $150 for the X.

The only downfall with the phone is going to be I wish it had a "slightly" larger screen (not X size but just a bit larger) and the camera didn't get the updgrade I was hoping for. All in all though the phone is going to foot the bill for her perfectly.

Thanks to those who brought up the Droid2, I don't know why I didn't even look at it originally..heck I almost got the samsung for her last week but glad I did some research.