1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Droid X vs PSP

Last Updated:

1. markml0528

markml0528 Member This Topic's Starter

w

Advertisement
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  2. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Well the Galaxy S can outdo it right now, thats for sure. Its GPU is much more powerful. You only have to see Quake 3 running at 60fps on the Galaxy S to know it outclasses the PSP. Games from Gameloft like NOVA are at least equivalent to the best PSP games, if not better.

As to why developers aren't taking advantage of it? Who knows, but Android is only beginning to take off as a games platform, so it will follow.

iwillfearnoevil and markml0528 like this.
  3. markml0528

w

4. Scrav

Scrav Active Member

PSP games require heavy development time and costs and can afford to be graphically impressive. Android games don't sell for much, plus there is also the issue of disc space for storage of high quality games. Another factor is that only a limited number of phones have exceptional hardware, so there is a much limited marketplace for such products at the moment.

5. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

Something to consider is the PSP does only one thing at a time while an Android system is always listening for phone calls / texts / email, updating all the widgets you have running, etc. For a time at least, the PSP will have better games because they have the attention of the entire device.

Another thought is there are only 4 models of the PSP and three of them are pretty much identical. This allows programmers to write very tight, specific, optimized code. How many different phones support Android? There are enough differences between which keep a developer from fully optimizing because they want to support as many as possible.

My bottom line is CPU/GPU statistics aside, the PSP with it's more optimized code will probably run more complex graphics better than an Android phone and with longer battery life because it is designed entirely to do just that.

6. markml0528

w

7. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

For hardware, the 3630 destroys the PSP, but from a playing perpsective:

If Droid X had controls, it would be almost as good. PSP plays everything the X plays for emulators and better, in regards to PSX (speed).

Sony is apparently releasing an Android phone device with PSP function as well (end of year / early spring). If it has standard usb connections and allows market access it could be HUGE and erase awful thoughts if PSP Go.

RichSz,

For 2.1 and below, I agree 100%, but for 2.2, the playing field is different. PSP has five year old hardware and can not touch the output of the 3630 and the Android OS is no longer a performance constraint.

8. soupbandit

soupbandit Member

Because psp is a gaming device :)

9. Biggest Fro

Biggest Fro Well-Known Member

You could Spend $3k on building a really nice computer, but it will never play a game as well as a PS3.

Game Consoles are built to play games. And they do it very well.

10. c4v3man

c4v3man Well-Known Member

Your opinion is too vague, and can lead people to the wrong conclusion.

For controls, you can't beat playing games on a PC with the appropriate controller: Case in point a PC with keyboard, mouse, and PS3 controller. All the advantages, none of the drawbacks. You will get additional features, have better graphics, and additional multiplayer options.

A better comparison would be playing the PC version of Far Cry 2 with a PS3 controller, vs playing on a PS3 with a PS3 controller. The PS3 version of the game will be developed to compensate for limitations of a PS3 controller and as such will play better than the $3K PC with a PS3 controller, irregardless of running at 4x the resolution at twice the framerate.

This is the same problem we run into on comparing gaming on the PSP vs a performance Android Phone (galaxy S, Droid x/2, etc). The market for PSP level graphics on the go is limited enough that even the PSP is barely getting by. Most people who are looking to play something on their phone are looking for something easy to pick up, that can be easily stopped and put down if required. As such, general audience games are the standard fare on Phones, since these will appeal to more than the HardCore gamer, who likely already owns a PSP/DS.

This is on top of the points that Scrav brought up. Sony may release a PSP phone, however even this is not likely to make gaming on Android any better, as the games will likely still be written for the PSP, and not for Android. Since Sony will likely only license their back-end PSP firmware/software to the producer of the PSP Phone, this will be a very limited market device/application.

I'd love to see more gamer-focused games in the marketplace, and I think we will see them over the coming years, but it will be a slow process at best.

11. hahaha what

hahaha what Well-Known Member

as far as i can tell, the average android game is probably like what, 20mb in size?
    a psp game is almost always at least 1gb. i personally would not be interested in 1gb android games

12. Vmanisme

Vmanisme Well-Known Member

This is exactly the issue, developers can make games work on different hardware, we see it happen in PC's all the time. The big issue is memory, games would have to come on like sd cards, and even if they were downloadable I dont think cell companies would like the idea of downloading 1-2GB games over their network. And come on get real people who would spend like $50 bucks on a phone game.

13. Robq81

Robq81 Active Member

A psp game that was ported to the iphone that i'd love to see in the android market would be grand theft auto china wars. not sure if this fits in this topic but it's the first thing i thought of while reading this thread.

14. JccageX2

JccageX2 Well-Known Member

Try getting a 2 Gig game on the Droid.

/thread

15. mr_notorious

mr_notorious Member

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars for the iPhone is a port from the Nintendo DS, not the PSP.

16. Biggest Fro

Biggest Fro Well-Known Member

get PSX4Droid and play GTA/GTA2

or thousands of other PSX games

17. Kekkle

Kekkle Well-Known Member

a PSP is a gaming device optimized to play games. While these few numbers you posted aren't everything, way more numbers come into play.

It's also that with the PSP you program directly to the hardware. Not to the OS via, for example Android.

18. markml0528

w

19. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

^^ My thoughts exactly. I got PSX4Droid the day it was released and haven't really touched any other games since (except blackjack, poker live, and Doodle Droid, lol) So far it as run just about everything I've thrown at it on my HTC Incredible. :)

20. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Someone's wearing reality-distortion goggles.

Do you realize that all multi-platform games, provided proper optimization, will always look better on the PC? That's because your precious PS3, like all the current-gen consoles, run on shitty, cheap, outdated hardware. Like, outdated three years ago. Have you ever played a real FPS? FPSes on consoles are dumbed down to your level and require auto-aim. On the PC, we've got mouse/keyboard input, the responsiveness of which console input will never match. RTSes on consoles would be one long, hilarious joke that'll fly right over console gamers' heads.

At most, consoles are better for racing and platformer games, but of course PCs are real machines and not toys, and flexible enough such that you can plug a gamepad/wheel/etc of choice into it. Better yet, we can modify the internals and aren't tied to Sony's or Microsoft's or whoever's closed ecosystem. We can mod our rigs as we choose and install whatever we'd like onto it. Yay for choice!

DrStryfe likes this.
  21. add119

add119 Active Member

Actually droid x have powervr chip from droid 1 530 sgs
    And galaxy s power vr chip sgs 540

In theory the galaxy s have more power then droid line from 2010 and most android caught up with gpu from galaxy s last year aka 2011.

Iphone 4s past it with power vr chip 543.
    Iphone 4 gpu is weaker then galaxy s by 5 powervr chip 535 sgs.

Android does have good gaming bro it old post but check this selection:

Shadow guardian
    Gangstar rio
    Gta 3
    Tna wrestling
    Samurai 2
    Earth and legend
    Backstab
    Six guns
    Crazy snowboard
    and more that just examples

22. xTmDarren

xTmDarren Well-Known Member

Really old post.. the guy hasn't been on since August 19th, 2010.. So there is no way he'll probably ever see this post.. anyways I like Modern Combat 3 lol

23. The Miki Show

The Miki Show Well-Known Member

Has anyone used a wii remote with their Droid X. All you need is a

1. Wiimote Controller app
    2. Wii Remote
    3. SNES Emulator
    4. Droid X.

I also hook it up to my TV using Real HDMI app.

Fun, Fun, Fun!

Miki

24. add119

add119 Active Member

i Know modern combat 3
    GTA 3
    Max payne and other. I use HDMI @ miki

25. SloanerBoner

SloanerBoner Well-Known Member

GTA III, Modern Combat, FIFA 12, 9mm, Gangstar Rio? There are LOADS!