Droid X waiting at home, what should I do first?

Last Updated:

1. elb0w

elb0w Member This Topic's Starter

Soo I just got a Droid X and I want to load up Froyo. I downloaded the update.zip from here "intomobile.com/2010/08/22/leaked-droid-x-android-2-2-rom-prompts-a-cease-desist-from-motorola/".

I am a developer so I am not so worried about the technical stuff, but I want to do this safely so I have come to the experts.

Here are my questions / concerns that hopefully someone can alleviate for me.

1) What steps should I take first in going to 2.2?
    2) Should I root my phone before running this update?
    3) Will I be able to get the OTA update if I do this? unkown?
    4) What can go wrong?
    5) If something does go wrong how hard is it to restore to 2.1 and what would give me a chance of bricking my phone.

I have moded a wii and my old bb storm so I am vaguely familiar with some of these methods, just want to do things properly. Thank you to anyone that can respond to any of these.

Advertisement
  2. DontEatPoop

DontEatPoop Well-Known Member

The first thing you do with your phone is to do something that might brick your phone?

3. elb0w

elb0w Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry meant this to go in all-things-root can someone del? Im re-posting there

4. Ace0spades808

Ace0spades808 New Member

Semi-brick bro. If it doesn't work it just boots into recovery and he can either go from there or flash the sbf. A true brick is when it is impossible to recover it in any means.

Anyway, it's near impossible to brick from this update.

I say go ahead and do the update, then root it using the droid 2 method, and then I would download the bootstrap and rom manager and get flyx, the prop mods, and then I would even go as far as to download the Tranquility rom (removes almost all of the motorola blur).

5. deadinside

deadinside Well-Known Member

3) Will I be able to get the OTA update if I do this? unkown?

Read the forums, there is a post about this. To Summarize it though, the 2.2 unofficial leak has no upgrade path to the 2.2 OTA when it comes out... Which should be soon.

IMO test the phone out with 2.1 to ensure there is no defects with the phone before updating it, but read up on how to downgrade it to 2.1 as well if you plan on getting the OTA without waiting for someone to figure out how to make the 2.2 OTA upgrade the 2.2 unofficial leak.

With the OTA deadline drawing near, its really worthless to update to 2.2 LEAK immediately.

6. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

If all else fails and you get stuck there are plenty of people here to help you out including myself. If you can't find any of the files you need PM me and I can send you a download link, between my phone and laptop I have everything backed up unless you have a 64 bit windows system I don't have those drivers.

7. Merovingiann

Merovingiann Member

open the box and install the battery....until you do that the phone is pretty much a 600 dollar paperweight.

:p

8. chrlswltrs

LOL, I guess sometimes you have to start really basic. :)

9. ndfan4u

ndfan4u Well-Known Member

LOL, drop it from a height of 6 feet and see if the screen holds. After all, it has gorilla glass. :p

10. chrlswltrs

I have dropped mine a couple times, not on purpose, but my X is completely fine. I love MOTO's build quality. I would like to see an HTC phone hold up the same way, lol.

11. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

I think the OP is asking, what are some cool options I could do since I'll get my X later :)

angry birds, lol

rooting is your preference, 2.2 UNOFFICIAL is up to you. Personally, I rooted just for the screen cap, and I'm not doing the 2.2 UNOFFICIAL, as there's no reason for me to go that route.

Welcome to Droid X OP!!!

12. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

I usually use it for a few days to see if it works properly, saving the original packing, in case I have to return it. (I'm on my 2nd X.)

With 2.2 here any day (some say the 20th), I don't see the rush. Only worth upgrading if you're truly bored or have a problem that 2.2 fixes, IMO.