Droid x wifi tethering - multitaskSupport

Last Updated:

1. torched

torched New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I'm new here. Expecting to get the droid x next month for work. I have a question regarding the wifi tethering. Does anyone know if the droid x can multitask while wifi-tethered. Can it still recieve phone calls? Forgive me if this is a stupid question as I have never owned an android phone/or smartphone for that matter. I just got around to convincing the boss that we all need to get something to increase efficiency, etc. and this came up. Is the $20 extra a month for tethering just to add the wifi tethering, or is it for both wired and wifi?

Thanks to anyone who answers.

Advertisement
  2. pwabbit

pwabbit Well-Known Member

Data will not run at the same time when on a phone call. Data plus anything else would function fine.

torched likes this.
  3. torched

Hi PW, thanks for the quick reply. The phone would not receive calls while in any tethering mode then, right? So there is no multitasking at all during a call if that task needs to access 3g/wifi?

4. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

I may be incorrect here, but I assume you would receive a call even then. I thought it was just the other way around. Something like that even when you are browsing the web from the phone and using data you still receive a call. I thought it worked something like that.

torched likes this.
  5. torched

Hi wolfedude,

so you do receive the call but the data transmission is halted? Is this what all internet connected apps do? So I could be using the tethering, receive a call, then the wifi signal is halted. Then, while I'm on the call, the tethering app/any 3g-wifi app will have no access to data until i hang up?

6. pwabbit

pwabbit Well-Known Member

Yep, you got it right.

torched likes this.
  7. torched

thanks guys.

8. dookie1

dookie1 Well-Known Member

sub-question...

if i'm using wifi for data, can i do that simultaneously with a CDMA phone call? i'm thinking yes?

9. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

You guys are asking too many mixed questions.
    You cannot use 3G data and receive a voice call at the same time. 3G/1X gets blocked. Annoying if you are in the middle of a download while tethering.
    You can use wifi and voice at the same time.
    You can tether via usb, bt or wifi and the phone can do other things like you can read your email. (What do you think this is, an iphone?)
    You could tether and make or recieve a SIP or Skype call at the same time.
    This is standard VZW affair with Android or WM.

Dyster likes this.