Droid X will not call phone number...Support

Last Updated:

1. ncarbon

ncarbon Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, sounds weird but true. My work number is a contact, if I choose that contact to dial, the X goes to do it but in the reception bars area a red circle appears and the screen reverts back to the previous one. I can dial other numbers fine and there is service. My work number is also in all my co-workers contact cards as well. I had one contact that I deleted and added again, and then the X would dial and the call go through. Any thoughts? It is only a few numbers this happens with, no pattern I can see yet.

TIA Ned

Advertisement
  2. sx4dude2013

sx4dude2013 Well-Known Member

weird. try dialing the number...instead of selecting the contact...also try a reboot?

3. ncarbon

I have rebooted, and direct dial also does not work with these contacts, each time a red circle with a diagonal bar through it appears and then back to the previous screen. With or without area code, no go.

Ned

4. slay65

slay65 Active Member

Does this problem happen if you dial the number on the number pad? Or does the problem only occur when you dial by contact?

If it is only dial by the contact name I think the contact information is somehow corrupted which is causing a crash of the app which probably causes the network connection to be temporarily lost. Can you create a new contact with the same information and see if it works.

5. ncarbon

Either the dialer or the contact the call is 'cancelled'. I re-added the contact online with back up assistant and synced. Still will not work, I changed the number to my businesses second number, and the contact now works. But still can not dial the mail line number in dialer or through a co-worker contact card.

Ned

6. sx4dude2013

sx4dude2013 Well-Known Member

strange. could u do it before the ota update?

7. ncarbon

I had a problem with one number before, deleted it and added, it worked. That was before update. After OTA, I found this number doing it. Deleting and adding didnt fix it. Thanks for the responses!

Ned

8. blugrss4ever

blugrss4ever Well-Known Member

This is pretty similar to what was happening to my phone, but it was happening with just about all the numbers (about 3-4 total) that I was trying, either through my contacts/favorites list or "manually" dialed. I hadn't seen anyone else describe it the way it was happening to me - dial, hear a ring or two, then previous screen. It also happened, BTW, when I called *611 or *228. When I watched the bars, for the first 1-2 days they were all over the place, but mostly had none. Then by day 3 I was getting the red circle with the slash. I would have bars, even 3-4 bars, then I would dial, it would be the red circle, and previous screen.

I'm waiting for a replacement phone -- tech people didn't know what it was doing. I'm sorry you're experiencing it, but at least I feel a little less crazy :eek:

9. ncarbon

So I deleted GOOGLE contacts and shut off the sync, now my phone dials all my numbers that it wouldn't. I think having GOOGLE sync and Backup Asistant some how conflicted...IDK, but it works now.

Ned

blugrss4ever likes this.
  10. kenc3dan

kenc3dan Active Member

I'm another one, can't dial specific contacts neither from the Contacts list nor by directly dialing the digits. Screen goes black and dumps me right back to Contacts or the dialer. Total phone fail.