• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X2 won't update / and pixelation

I switched our carrier from Verizon to Page plus about a year ago. I didn't notice until now, that my phone has not updated in a while.

History on my phone-- I tried rooting the phone as a friend showed me how, I knew and still know almost nothing about it. I deleted some "required" apps and eventually did a manual reset to the phone. That was a little over a year ago.

Current issues-- My phone pixelates (white noise, only some color), freezes and shuts off randomly. Because of all this, my phone will drain its battery in a matter of hours.

When I turn on my phone, most of the time, it's pixelated and I cant read my screen. If I "sleep" the phone many times, eventually the screen will come back up. Some times it's a little pixelated and others, its completely pixelated.

What I've tried so far-- I've done a factory reset, tried to update in safe mode and have spent much time on chat with motorola with no avail. I've done all this with a full battery.

My android version is 2.3.3. I'm hoping if I can get the update that it will fix the pixelation issues. I'm not sure if this is because I once rooted my phone, or because my "system version" has "verizon" in it and I switched.

Any help would be great, I really don't want to drop money to buy another phone.

Thanks in advance to all those that learn this stuff and help those of us that are "challenged".

Calvin

Hello sagegc. Welcome to the forums.

Try doing a cache wipe in the recovery area:

1. Power down your Droid X2
  2. Push and hold Power + Volume Down while powering up, until "Fast Boot" appears at the top of the screen, then release both buttons.
  3. Push Volume Down 7 times to scroll to "Android Recovery"
  4. Push Volume Up to select.
  5. Push and hold Volume Up + Volume Down to access the Recovery Menu.
  6. Use the Volume keys to navigate to the cache wipe.
  7. When that's finished the reboot selection will be highlighted by default
  8. Hit the power button to reboot.

Upvote 0
Thanks Frisco,

I have already done the cache wipe and didn't work. Is there a way to upload the update to my computer, then connect my phone to the computer and force install it?

Thank you!

I'd first restore my X2 to the factory state, then begin the update process once that's successful. There is a lengthy but clear description of how to go about restoring the X2 back to stock here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1317707

Once that is done (take your time with the steps), getting the last update will be a simpler matter. ;)

[edit] Just a note: you may have noticed the All Things Root area here for the X2 (http://androidforums.com/droid-x2-all-things-root/) and the several threads and instructional posts in there, some of which could pertain to your situation:

The rooting guide: http://androidforums.com/droid-x2-a...-motorola-droid-x2-all-things-root-guide.html

The ROM, SBF and OTA Update instructional thread: http://androidforums.com/droid-x2-a...links-roms-sbfs-ota-updates-mods-scripts.html

I was going to place your query in that All Things Root sub-forum, but thought better of it because it's not been used much for a few weeks. Let me know if you'd rather have this thread in that area; it could spark interest, although I think this setting may be a little better (it's a close call, one of the other Guides here suggested I move this thread to All Things Root.. let me know and it's done ;)).

Upvote 0
if you removed any stock apps, updates will fail
if you made any system changes that require root access, updates will fail

latest system version for DX2 (MB870) is 2.3.5/1.3.418
you likely need to flash sbf, back to complete stock
several options,
1. if you want to try manually install update.zips, they need to be done in order
2.3.4 then 2.3.5, but like I wrote above, they may fail or even temp brick your phone, not a big problem, just flash a .sbf
2. flash ezSBF 2.3.4 for dX2, then try installing update over the air (3g/wifi) or manully through android recovery
3. just flash 2.3.5 .sbf recovery image
4. flash 2.3.4 .sbf then install updates ( most likely to work with out having to wipe data)

files and instructions can be found on this site or link in my list
Droid X2 and main page sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links: FAQs, Guides, Rooting, SBFs, ROMs... - Google Docs

and if you let me know which option you want to do I can go into more detail. or post more links

edit; if you are not rooted now root, with pete's root tools, or motofail, and backup data
use titanium backup pro for apps, sms backup + for texts and call logs, verify contacts are backed up see how to back up contacts

Upvote 0
Frisco,

I will try what you suggested, hopefully tomorrow when I have some more time.

I'm not sure about all the "root" things. I'm going to read up on it and see if I can gain more knowledge with this type of phone manipulation, it's interesting to me.

About moving this post, what ever you feel is appropriate! I did look at that link before posting my problem, however, I didn't see anything pertaining to my issue, close, but not enough for me to understand how to fix my issue. I also did a "search" and nothing come up.

Themib,

I'm not sure what you mean "flash a .sbf" I will figure out what your talking about.

Thanks to the both of your for giving me instructions on what to do. I will look over all the links get acquainted with all of it.

I will post again either tomorrow or the next day.

Calvin

Upvote 0
I did the "install drivers" with this method http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1315711
I did as the instructions recommended but when I get to the black screen that says "press any key to continue" I get errors;
Pushing SU binary
Failed to copy .......permission denied
correcting ownership
Unable to chmod.....operation not permitted
rm failed for......permission denied

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Upvote 0
1 yes you can update, if system files have not been removed, like stock apps
if update fails. you need to flash .sbf recovery image with rsd lite or ezSBF for DX2
see HowTo: Perform a SBF ("factory restore") of your Motorola Droid X2

2 rooting gives you root access to system settings and files
the reason to root would be so you can back up you app data and other settings, that
you can't normally
also after updating or .sbf, you will lose root

Upvote 0
Most people, root so they can flash custom roms
there are several roms most roms are flashed on 2.3.4 with bootstrap system recovery (BSR), with the exception of eclipse, which is flashed on 2.3.5 w/BSR

Some people just use root access to freeze/remove verizons bloatware (unwanted apps) use titanium backup pro for that and backing up all your apps(.apk)
removing wrong apks, can cause things to stop working or phone to soft brick
generally wiping data will not fix that and you may need to flash a .sbf

BSR can be used to make a nandroid backup, which is like a snapshot of the phones system, which includes everything in in system and user data, but needs to be restore on same system version

see in my list
A Dummies Guide to Android Terminology & Lingo
Common X2 Questions and Answers
[HOW-TO-[VIDEOS] for Droid X2
HowTo: Perform a bootstrap (or nandroid) backup and recovery of X2
all-in-one ezSBF DX2 2.3.4 with zergrush root option

edit; for got this one Newb's read this.... commonly asked questions

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
if you install the updates, you have to install in order

if you use sbf recovery images, you can use in any order, they are images of the complete operating system/firmware

I would just flash 2.3.5 sbf with rsd lite, and be done, takes like 10-15 mins

edit: wipe data in android recovery to avoid bootlooping and
you will also need to dial *228 to reconnect to page plus

factory "out of box" state.
may not mean what you think it means
motorola shipped X2s with what ever current version was
so first one shipped with 2.2.2/ 1.2.148, but last ones shipped with 2.3.5/1.3.418, out of the box
motorola just flashed with the current sbf, before boxing

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones