DroidMod over to Rom Manager?

Last Updated:

1. OZFive

OZFive Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

While I am waiting for DroidMod to release I was wondergin about this ROM Manager I have been hearing about. I am not that schooled in flashing my phone and only used DroidMod (then SholesMod) because it was so simplistic.

Now I am seeing Rom Manager, and was curious about trying other ROM's. So I was wondering, is this thing as easy as it seems to be? I have not seen a printed guide so far and was wondering if someone might point me in the direction of one so I might know what to expect step by step.

Will there be a conflict installing and running it since I currently have DroidMod installed?

Advertisement
  2. shake&bake

shake&bake Member

There shouldn't be any conflict. As far as flashing roms goes, once you install rom manager, the first option is to install clockwork, which is another recovery manager. From my experience the two seem pretty similar. I haven't had any problems swapping back and forth from sbrecovery to clockwork at least.

3. snake_fist_gung_fu

snake_fist_gung_fu Well-Known Member

I really would suggest trying to learn how to flash on your own. Its really not all that hard and it would release you from the shackles known as Droid Mod. There Roms are alright but it dose not seem that they are really interested in making Roms any time soon.

4. OZFive

So having the DroidMod on there will not give me any issues if I tried out Rom Manager?

Are there any instructions out there so I might be prepared to know what I am doing?

5. "idroid"

"idroid" Member

I did the same thing and it was so easy. Just download rom manager and install clockwork recovery than download new roms from the app.

6. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member

I was in the same boat as you. I found that the rom manager was as easy as Droidmod. I think its a little better because you can backup your roms really easy also. What I like about it is how easy it is to load a rom, set it up the way you like it, back it up, and try another rom. If you don't like the new one, you can easily go back to the rom you saved. It's so easy to go back and forth to different roms. It is easy, but your limited to only roms that work with rom manager. I'm fine with that and it sounds like you also are looking for simple.

7. Droidking

Droidking Well-Known Member

Im on DM 1.0. If i download rom manager, and unroot and download a 2.1 rom, will I run into problems?

8. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Why would you unroot in that process? Switching from DM to rom manager you shouldnt have any issues but when you load a new rom you should wipe data and cache so you will lose all your apps

9. markc2

markc2 Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I just changed roms from BB .9 to Cyanogen using Rom Manager while at work. Very easy. I didn't wipe data and everything so far seems fine.

10. OZFive

I went and did it last night and I am pretty impressed. I need to spend some time with it to really get a feel for it, but I am sure that is true for any ROM.

I saw that ROM Manager will soon allow us to install different kernels too! This program is becoming quite the multi tool.

11. OZFive

One thing I did notice that I MIGHT miss from DroidMod is the "Record in High Quality" hack is gone in Cyanogen.

Bummer.

12. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

I believe the DroidMod guys are updating their updater to be compatible with other ROMs.

Recovery - DroidMod