droid's on-screen keyboard

Last Updated:

1. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

how does the keyboard on screen compare with the eris? i been looking at so many reviews and some claim they are either EQUAL or LESS THAN the eris'. they say the eris has more seperation between the buttons for less mess ups and more of a push button feel.

reason is - if i get a droid, i want to be able to type mostly on the virtual keyboard and not mess with the slider unless it serves the most practical. so far with the eris im amazed at the keyboard on screen, used to HATE typing on screen but now i love it.

what do you guys think? (those of you who use the onscreen keypad)

Advertisement
  2. wnajar

wnajar Well-Known Member

I use the on-screen keyboard (in landscape) much more than the hardware one... it's exponentially faster. Sometimes it's nice to use the hardware keyboard if you want precision like for an email, but 90% of the time I stay on-screen. You'll be able to type much faster in landscape mode than portrait, though, simply because the keys are bigger.

3. DR0ID

DR0ID Well-Known Member

the droid keyboard isnt bad...i downloaded the app betterkeyboard and use that instead...but really HTC's keyboard is probably the best out there next to the iPhone

4. zandroid

zandroid Well-Known Member

your best bet is to go in and try it. youll be the only one to make the decision based on that

5. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

First, let me say that I own a DROID, but will try to be as objective as possible. The Eris' keyboard has a more featured skin layout. In other words, the keys have both the letter, as well as, symbol/number on it. So, you can see if you want an "*" or "&" or whatever before you press their function key to select it. On the DROID, if you want a symbol or number, you have to press the "123" button, then a separate keyboard replaces the ABC keyboard. Other than that:

1) The keyboard isn't better because of the spacing. Maybe there's dead space in that spacing, but it's so small (that spacing) that it's insignificant compared to someone's finger tip size. That being said, the lack of spacing (not to say it's a bad thing) allows for the DROID's keys to be larger, more rectangular.

2) The DROID's predictive texting is pretty accurate, so any mistakes you make will be caught and changed or at least offered as a word suggestion.

3) If you're on-screen keyboard is giving you more a "push button" feel, then 1) You're pressing WAY too hard; you should be "gliding" across the screen when typing on a virtual keyboard, 2) I don't know about the Eris screen, but the DROID is one of only three devices using Corning's Gorilla Glass. So maybe that "push button" feel is a result of a cheap glass/plastic screen?

4) The physical keyboard is immensely useful for any number of tasks: Text-intensive work, e.g. long emails, editing MS Word documents, entering data into an Excel spreadsheet, etc. all work better than a virtual keyboard. Why? Because, to use a VK, it has to occupy the entire screen with 1) the keyboard and 2) the text box. Using the physical keyboard allows you to see the page you're on, the cell you're entering into, or even the string of text that you're using.

Never mind the utility of a d-pad that allows precise cursor control. Track ball is nice, but on these small screens, unit clicks are hard to obtain using tracking inputs, rather than a d-pad, where you can enter in single clicks. Not only that, the "tactile" feedback of a keyboard allows ultimately for more accurate composition. This is one reason why we don't have virtual keyboards at our desktops.

Here's the one drawback of the physical keyboard in my estimation: I wish there was less input force needed. Not that any human being with an ounce of strength will notice, but the key effort "click" is certainly more than say my laptop. It's got a "desktop effort" to the key. Not bad, but could be better. In my opinion, no physical keyboard has the lightness of a laptop keyboard, not even BB.

6. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

By the way, you aren't meant to use both hands when using your virtual keyboard in portrait mode. That's more of a BB, one-hand, typing mode. If you want to use both hands, flip it into landscape and use the wider keyboard. Portrait is for one-thumb typing. iPhone has basically caused everyone to believe you need two hands to type in portrait, because it can only do landscape text for certain apps.

7. nonie3234

nonie3234 Well-Known Member

I have the Eris, and the keyboard is comfortable for me. I'm coming from the Storm, so I was used to a virtual keyboard. The Eris's keyboard seems just a wee bit easier to me - YMMV.

8. PhishFunkadelic

PhishFunkadelic Member

I really like the virtual keyboard, I use it for just about everything. The only exception is that I use the physical one for certain Apps like emulators.

9. nekoki

nekoki Well-Known Member

Having used both devices, here are my comments on your comments FWIW.

True but the BB keyboards are pretty darn good.