DroidX GPS in EU?Support

1. fiddlerpony

fiddlerpony New Member

So I know the DroidX phone doesn't work in Europe but does the GPS function work there? I'm interested in maps for Prague & Dresden... Thx

Advertisement
  2. anabsa

anabsa Well-Known Member

As long as you have the map data that you need GPS will work pretty damned near anywhere you go. My wife and I have used a GPS device for a couple years in Italy and use the same one when we came back home to the US. It just depends on the maps you are using.
  3. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

GPS should work, just remember you won't have data unless you are using a WiFi connection. Offline maps are available in the market: MapDroyd and Maps (-) are a couple of free ones. There are some for sale by Applantaion.com but the only review so far says there are force close issues.

An option may be to get a quad band GSM Mobie Hotspot for Europe like Verizon's (but GSM) and use it with your Droid X and Google Maps. I'm not sure which EU provider has them, or their coverage, just providing options.

Of course any stand alone GPS with EU maps installed would be better.
  4. allambition

allambition Well-Known Member

I tried MapDroyd (its cool because you don't need to use your data connection) but found the maps to be incomplete in Brazil, for example. I found Aura GPS (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sygic.aura&feature=search_result) to have pretty good maps and like MapDroyd they are downloadable maps so you don't need the data connection - just need to ping the GPS to find out where you are.
  5. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

You better double check that. Next time I go to a place without service I'll check. It depends on the Qualcomm chip. The GPS is sometimes powered (with) by the CDMA portion so if you put the phone in Airplane mode the GPS is also off. Meanging leave the phone with no service and it may still grab sats. The X does not have a functioning gps in Airplane mode.
  6. baubcadt

baubcadt New Member

My droidx GPS was useless in Ireland, it did not find a satellite. A friend said it was "GPS-A" and needed some kind of phone connection in order to work. What a disappointment! It didnt work over the usa at 40,000 feet either, but was fine back on the ground in USA.

Reading further in the forum, it is possible it might have worked if I had turned off "Enable Assisted GPS"?
  7. serpa4

serpa4 Well-Known Member

I'm using my US (colorado) gps in the UK right now. Works fine with blank screen and no maps.
  8. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Moving this to the support section will give your thread more hang time. :)