DroidX to Cradlepoint 500?Support

Last Updated:

1. gritz

gritz Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've been using a Verizon USB760 plugged into my Cradlepoint 500 for both wireless and LAN Internet access. Since the Droid can be tethered to a single system via it's USB cable you would think that just plugging it into my Cradlepoint 500 would then link up with my LAN and wireless. Didn't work ... is anyone doing this? Perhaps there are some parameters I need to set up?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

I am not certain whether you can achieve what you are trying to do the way you are doing it, but there are other ways around it and much simpler IMO.

1. Do you need the connection to be LAN or Wireless?
    2. Connecting with a cable simply connect the Droid to your PC and useEasyTether or one of its alternatvies to connect to the net.
    3. Need WiFi? Your DX has this feature by default.

I will move this to the DX forum to make sure you get more help.

3. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Your Droid X will not do network communication over the USB cable, which seems to be what you're asking... Maybe I'm wrong about what you're asking, though. What are you trying to accomplish?

4. gritz

Yes ... that's what I was hoping for, to connect my entire LAN network via the Cradlepoint 500 to the Internet by plugging in my Droid X to the CRT500. Which is what my Verizon USB760 was doing before I went over my 5 GB monthly limit.

Thanks for the response. :eek:

5. binary visions

You could probably rig it up so that your desktop uses Internet Connection Sharing to let the other devices get internet. Set up tethering to your Droid X on your desktop, and use ICS to share that internet connection out to your other devices.

I haven't tried this, but in theory it should work...

Your DX won't plug directly into the Cradlepoint because it doesn't have the same kind of drivers as the USB modem does.

gritz likes this.
  6. gritz

You are right .... I'm sure that method should work. The only caveat is that my main system would always have to be on for the other computers on the LAN to have Internet access. But I appreciate your reply.

7. P1DroidX

P1DroidX Active Member

hey I'd like to know how to set this up? any instructions? my cell network connection at home is shoddy and there are so many private wifi connections already in my area, and I don't have wifi. what I'd like to do is share the PC's internet connection with my Droid X, on the road mobile to pc over usb would be nice too. root permissions are a non-issue for me, i just want it to work, and to know how would be nice.

8. gritz

It's easy. Download PdaNet on your phone ..... and also PdaNet on your computer/laptop , and install. You activate the phone, hook your USB cable up, then activate the PdaNet icon in your System Tray. Quick, easy, works every time. Use at home with your main system, and on your laptop when on the road. Internet anywhere (as long as you have a cell signal) for $29.99 a month (plus your monthly cell phone charges of course). For me ... $80 a month, Internet and 2 cell phones (550 minutes). And NO limit on data (at least at the moment). Of course .... this is USB and not wireless (which is a whole another story)

9. P1DroidX

P1DroidX Active Member

pdanet is that only paid, or free too? if it's pay only i'm looking for a more free version, i already pay for wireless service and i don't care for another $30/mo for something else
    Easy Tether does the same thing,

these two share the Phones internet connection with your PC, not your PCs connection with your phone.

i need the PC's internet connection to be shared with my phone over USB.

10. binary visions

PDAnet is a paid application, but it's a one-time-cost. You pay once and you have forever free internet from whatever Android phone you have.

11. gritz

Nope .... it's free. It's "Trial", but it continues to work as the author states.

12. binary visions

Well, there is a free version but it will not allow HTTPS connections, so if you want to check your bank account, shop, or anything similar, you're out of luck.

13. gritz

Opps .... that's correct! Thanks for pointing that out as I had forgotten about that.