DroidX useful after moving to different carier?

Last Updated:

1. ASMx4

ASMx4 New Member

Me, Wife and Daughter each have a DroidX. Bought 'm when they first came out...3? years ago? Anyway, I'm going to downsize completely to a basic plan of voice/text only. (Short explanation, not willing to spend $2,000/year anymore.)
    So, if these 3 phones are deactivated, can I still use them as mini tablets?
    I'm thinking they should still work wirelessly. True?
    Will the Market also still be available?

Or, as I fear, am I totally s.o.l.

Bottom line is this;
    $190.00 x 12 months = $2,280.00 per year. Just not acceptable anymore.

Background
    It's been fun with these devices, rooted 2 of them, ran Cyanogenmod on mine for several months, etc. But, I'm wired all day & night so really can't justify Verizon data costs. Wife uses data rarely. Daughter - Twitter and a few other apps but rather light data usage also. (She can rely on her iPod Touch for wireless data stuff.) Frankly, I'm willing to not have a cell for me at all but, the plans that look interesting throw in the 3rd line for only $10. I can justify in my mind $120/year for me for basic cell service.

Advertisement
  2. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Well-Known Member Developer

I flashed mine to Cricket, but to answer your question yes wifi will still work on em regardless if they have service or not and still be able to use the Market. I do it all the time on dev phones that have no service. ;)
  3. Greavous

Greavous Well-Known Member

Id be interested in hearing a bit more about this process. The GF and I arent all that anymore and the time may come when we wont be sharing a family plan anymore.
  4. twcowdery

twcowdery Well-Known Member

FWIW, I have my Droid X on Page Plus which is a pre-paid service running on the Verizon network. I pay $29.95/month and get 1,200 Minutes, 3,000 Text/MMS Messages, 100 MB Data.

The limited data might be a problem for some people, but I rarely even use 50 MB.

Page Plus also has a plan that provides
    Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text/Picture Messages, 500 MB of Data for $55.

I've been on it since last May and I'm very pleased.

5. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

I want a 5-2-0 family plan... 500 minutes of talk, 200 megs of data, screw the texting. :D