drois vs. palm pre plus

Last Updated:

1. Gspot24v

Gspot24v New Member This Topic's Starter

What phone is better of the two and why?

Advertisement
  2. Bonehead

Bonehead Member

Hmmm, OK. What kind of answer did you get when you asked that question on the Pre forum?

3. jacs813

jacs813 Active Member

Palm is slowly dying........get the droid.

4. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Have you ever used a webOS device? Palm definitely isn't dying. They have one of if not the best OS' out right now. I may prefer Android but webOS is incredibly well put together, if it had some better hardware to run on then I would give it another shot.

5. jacs813

jacs813 Active Member

Yes sir I sure have. Mark my words, Palm will be dead in two years time. I'm not saying that the os or the phone isn't great. It's just not catching on like it use to.

6. mrthundercleese

mrthundercleese Well-Known Member

OP, I hope you aren't actually looking for an unbiased answer on this forum. 1 post.. hmmm...

I've never really used a pre so I can't give you an honest answer. :)

7. Hegemony

Hegemony Well-Known Member

I don't know if Palm is dead, but it isn't looking good. A lot of people are making rumblings that they're going to have the be acquired if the Verizon devices don't hit it big. Who knows, maybe they will.

From where I stand, the biggest problem with the Pre is the build quality. I've played with a few of them and they all feel sort of "loose". The slider just doesn't seem right to me. One guy I know had his get to the point he could rotate the screen about 1/4" either way while it was open.

And really, you're asking this on a Droid forum? Don't be surprised that we lean toward the Droid.

Edit: I just looked at some to the Engadget coverage of Palm's CES stuff and the Verizon version of the Pre was actually changed a bit. Apparently, the slider is much improved, as it the feel of the keyboard. They're also demoing some 3D games on it. Also some pretty spiffy video recording/editing. Might be worth a look once it comes out.

8. pragnanzer

pragnanzer New Member

I agree with both sides. WebOS is one of the best UIs today; but WebOS somehow has lost its momentum. WebOS finally got more than 1000 apps in the beginning of 2010, while iPhone got 120,000 and Android 15,000. If third party developers are not signing up the WebOS platform, then it cannot compete in this new App-Phone era. The stock price of PALM already has reflected this sentiment; it is 30% below NASDAQ in the last three months.

9. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

they are reaching out to verizon cause they need more users! they need more money! they are not doing great. but who knows if they will throw in the towel if the pre plus doesn't go over well. but if it does die, don't expect firmware updates or anything. i bet they will sell the assets and keep making them under a dif name. like if they sold to apple or if they sold to some one else.

10. rdillz

rdillz Well-Known Member

WEBOS needs better hardware and marketing. The Pre just didn't feel good in my hands. Keys were very spongy and I didn't like the cards thing dominating my home screen either. Customization seemed very limited. The commercials for it was weird as hell too. Verizon will offer improvements in these two vital areas. Looks like a last chance for the Pre.

11. sohc sti

sohc sti Well-Known Member

Don't feed the troll.

12. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

For me, the dealbreaker on the Pre was its size. I went with the Droid because web browsers just work better on bigger screens.

13. VATO

VATO New Member

Every phone have some cool feautures, but ultimately what makes of the phone a real success is the company behind the phone. Verizon Wireless adds even more power to the incredible DROID by Moto, the winning combination is right there. The Palm PRE Plus, will have a way better impact than its previous version with Sprint.
    Competition is a keyword to bring success to any business, but we also live in a world of super alliances, where small, medium and large companies merge in their attempt to gain more control of the market, just look at the Google-Verizon Wireless with DROID.
    Palm is trying to regain presence in the market with good devices after some kind of "break" like Motorola did, these cycles apply to all makers at some point. Eventually Palm will have a huge comeback like Moto did with the DROID.
    I personally have both devices, they are both good, different but good. It depends what do you want to do with the phone.
    I work in this industry, and believe me there is no bad phone, just a customer with the wrong device, and of course an unhappy customer will determine ultimately how "good or bad" a device could be. How unfair, uh?
    :D

14. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

If you want a more seamless experience get the Pre. WebOS is the best alternative to the iphone but Android has the ultimate customization and open OS. If you don't care for the later two....Pre is fine. If you love tinkering with your phone and gadgets...its Android. Android would be farther ahead IMO if they had a decent task switcher like the cards in WebOs.

15. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Palm Pre Plus is faster and has better battery life, just what WebOS needed. Not only that, it's going to be on the VZW network! Sprint is like the Friday Night TV line-up. Networks put shows on Friday to die, just like manufacturers put phones on the Sprint network to die. On the VZW, the Pre+ will get the kind of attention it needs. WebOS is great and is the kind of UI Android COULD be if GOOG just put a little more thought into it. Don't knock the Pre+. It's got a great form factor, if not for the smaller screen size. It may not have a huge app selection (~2000), but it's committed to 3D games and get this...

ACTUALLY UTILIZING THE HARDWARE! Unlike Android, which has the fancy stuff but it's users are sitting around using their top of the line GPUs playing Sudoku and checking their FB notifications (which by the way, hasn't worked since day 1 and the Android FB widget is the suck).

16. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Major gaming isn't comming to android until app storage increases(or they allow sd storage) but the major problem is hardware variance. Just like u don't see many games on windows mobile.

17. craigrn16

craigrn16 Well-Known Member

I've played with the Pre and I must say that webOS is one of the best out there, maybe even better than androids. The only reason I wouldn't get a pre is that many developers aren't supporting it. They just reached 1000 apps the other day while the droid has 20,000. Also their sales haven't been that great neither and the company is in some financial trouble. So unless it coming to Verizon helps it it'll probably die in the future. But who knows Verizon helped Android awareness alot with their campain, if the do the same for the Pre we could see a spike in developers and sales for webOS.

18. sooper_droid12

By the way, the Palm Pre also has a great phone/video cam app that actually has on-board editing; it's VERY slick.

And the screen ain't that small; actually, it's just about the same size as the iPhone. While it has 256mb of RAM for running apps and system, it comes with 16gb of storage capacity, of which 15gb are available to the user. Again, Android is beat. I swear, GOOG needs an App2SD native NOW!

And the Pre+ has a new keyboard like the Pixi which is much, much better. I prefer a landscape real estate than the profile, but for those one handed typers, this is great! In short, the Pre+ is nothing to laugh at. It's a VERY, VERY capable phone and honestly, does some things better than the DROID at the moment. I wouldn't have any problems recommending the Pre+ and more importantly WebOS to anyone! (I can't say the same thing for the DROID, even if I love my phone.)

ratchetjaw likes this.
  19. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member

Just some facts:
    a. Pre is coming to vzw. (some of the posts seem not to know this). It is coming now because palm had a 6 mo exclusive with sprint. Palm has always had a great relationship w sprint, not so great with vzw. Vzw did not pick up any of the newer treos.
    b. almost everyone agrees that webos is probably the best out there. Palm has done a great job w this.
    c. Palm has about a yr of cash to burn at their current rate, so I don't think they will go under. The Pre on vzw will do very well.
    d. If Palm can put out some more hw this year to take advantage of webos, even better. Expect a gsm version, and maybe newer model w bigger screen.
    e. while i agree that having only 1k apps lags, how many apps are just crap anyway. Of the 120k iphone apps, how many are really good apps that work well? I would rather have fewer well made apps that have to try to pick from many crappy ones, trying them out , etc. That said, I don't 1k is enough, but SW devs want to installed base. I think once vzw gets the pre, and tmo etc., you will see a rapid climb.

That said, I really like the android system, that it is open, but we really need the hw guys to exploit it! I am very interested in seeing some great HTC HW run android.

20. sooper_droid12

Palm Pre+ already slated to head to at&t. They opened up the devkit to any would be developers. Expect WebOS apps to explode in fury if VZW puts some marketing behind the device. Honestly, those Sprint/Palm commercials were freakin' scary with that pale-a$$ woman hocking the device.

21. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member

Best commecials imo are the att with the rollover minutes with the mother yelling at her kids, 'not everybody is lucky enough to get rollover minutes'.

Anyway, with vzw and att behind the pre, I would expect webos apps to pour out. But I think in the end , having only 1 manufacturer of HW will limit the 'sockets'. With android having moto, htc, samsung all making hw, more choices, more users. Palm in the long run can't compete w apple as a hw supplier.

22. sooper_droid12

Didn't hurt a company called Apple. Palm always has an ace in the pocket. The right to sue Apple for intellectual property infringement. So, Palm ain't going anywhere any time soon.

Why not? The Pre IMO is just as good if not BETTER than the iPhone in just about every way.

23. craigrn16

craigrn16 Well-Known Member

Wow who ever thought the Pre would get such high marks on an Android futon lol. Anyway, palm doesn't need to make a billion and one different HW like android has. It would actually make it easier to developers to make apps for one or two types of HW instead of a dozen like what they have to do for android

24. sooper_droid12

Bingo! And that was one of most brilliant posts in a long time. What incentive do devs have in developing apps for a fragmented marketplace where the OS is in constant flux? It actually benefits Palm (and Apple for that matter) to just have one device. Be that as it may, the Palm is able to appeal to a broader consumer with both the Pre+ and Pixi+.

25. aileendq

aileendq Well-Known Member

That freaking Palm Pre commercial scared the crap out of me.:eek: