• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Example... look at top right of this thread, there a tab says "search this thread" click on that > Try clicking in the search box so that pull's up the keyboard. On mine it try to, but then disappear.

Yep, like YouGonaEatThat said, if you hover the S Pen over the "search this thread" link (making sure not to actually touch the screen), then the dropdown options should display.

Upvote 0
I can click on it also, What I'm talking about is the keyboard staying so you can type in what you searching for in sub-forum or search inside a thread.

Ahhhhhhh, now I see what you're referring to, sorry for the ignorance. That keyboard just will not stay on the screen. I wonder if that bug is site specific. ....

EDIT: upon further trials, I was able to click on advanced search and type in from there, the keyboard stayed. Maybe that will help?

Upvote 0
I like to use drop down search on forums, is there a browser that supports this ? I'm currently use chrome and can not get it to work.

Thankfully! A new member that actually does use the search functions on the forum. Wish there were more like you.

That said, from the browser on the GN2, the only realistic way for you to be able to type in a search on the drop down is to go through Advanced search. Even though the S-Pen is great for being able to pull down drop downs on Full desktop versions of a site, it doesn't seem to have the ability of holding the drop down menu open, while inputting text (like a PC or mac).

Just in case you weren't aware of it, there's an app called Tapatalk that is connected to many forums on the internet. Many people (myself included) use that to post on forums, from their phone (rather than the browser).

Upvote 0
Thankfully! A new member that actually does use the search functions on the forum. Wish there were more like you.

That said, from the browser on the GN2, the only realistic way for you to be able to type in a search on the drop down is to go through Advanced search. Even though the S-Pen is great for being able to pull down drop downs on Full desktop versions of a site, it doesn't seem to have the ability of holding the drop down menu open, while inputting text (like a PC or mac).

Just in case you weren't aware of it, there's an app called Tapatalk that is connected to many forums on the internet. Many people (myself included) use that to post on forums, from their phone (rather than the browser).

Apologies for the late reply.

Iam on multiple forums, alot time the info is there.

I known about the advanced search, just looking for quicker and being lazying about taking extra step to do the advance search. My girlfriend has iphone and ipad noticed the samething about the ability to hold the drop down menus.

Really my question is why is andriod based can not do this ?

I have heard of Tapatalk, I will have to try it out.

Upvote 0
Apologies for the late reply.

Iam on multiple forums, alot time the info is there.

I known about the advanced search, just looking for quicker and being lazying about taking extra step to do the advance search. My girlfriend has iphone and ipad noticed the samething about the ability to hold the drop down menus.

Really my question is why is andriod based can not do this ?

I have heard of Tapatalk, I will have to try it out.

No worries. After having re-read your question, the drop downs should work with the s-pen, like they do on a pc/mac browser. Any touch based platform would have problems with any drop-down menus, as they function on standard websites (e.g. non-mobile). iPhones rely on mobile websites, for functionality with the drop downs. Blackberry/Windows Phone...well, let's just stick with the main two (2).

It isn't just Android that has trouble with desktop view and dropdown (w/ exception to the Samsung phones that have "hover view" and "S-pen functionality"). Not sure why you have the impression that it's only Android mobile phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones