• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dropbox 50 GB with existing account?

En4cer2k11

Dec 10, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Its my understanding that when purchasing a brand new One S, the customer is entitled to 50 GB of storage space upon registering a Dropbox account. Does this also apply if you already have an existing Dropbox account? I already have an account with 3 GB, and I was wondering if I used that account, would that account get bumped up to 50 GB, or does it only apply to new signups?

OK, cool. Cause here's my situation:
I WANT a Galaxy S III. For a limited time, the T-Mobile store in my area lowered the prices on all of their phones. The GS III is only $149.99 (or $190 out the door after taxes). My paycheck comes in tomorrow, but it'll only be around $100 or so, with more coming next month. However, by that time, the sale will have been long over and the price will go back up to $229.
On the other hand, the One S is on sale for $50 (or $80 after taxes, I'm told) with a mail-in rebate that essentially makes it free. While I WANT the S III, I won't get the sale price for it by the time I get enough money to buy it. But I'm terribly impatient for a new phone since my G2 broke about a month ago, and I would prefer to have something RIGHT NOW. I'm currently using an OLD Nokia 5310 Xpress music phone in the meantime, and am therefore paying for a data plan that I CAN'T use at the moment. So I'm trying to research and find out if the One S (despite the lack of SD card expansion and smaller battery) is worth settling for, given the downright STEAL of a price for it. I have only a few days to make an ultimate decision before I lose out on the whole sale entirely.

Upvote 0
I got 25 GB added to my existing account. (so it is around 29GB now). I don't know if they have changed it to 50GB or not, but I haven't heard that so I kinda doubt it.

I will say the One S is an excellent phone with lots of 3rd part dev support. I miss the sd card storage, but not so much that it is that much of an inconvenience.

Upvote 0
That's still pretty decent. Its possible I may have either misquoted or confused the 50 GB offer with another phone entirely. How's your battery life? Both for light and heavy usage such as gaming? I plan to keep my mobile data off for the most part (away from home) unless I need it for something. I learned with my G2 that data BY FAR takes up the most battery drainage. Also, how well is multitasking and potential lag?

*Edit* I think I got the 50 GB confused with Box. Dropbox works much better to me though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones