• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dropbox files not visible using File Manager

shadragon

Jun 29, 2011
I am not sure if this is a tablet, Android, Kindle or Dropbox issue so feel free to move this topic where you see fit.

I am an author and have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with the Amazon Kindle app loaded and working fine. I just had a copy of my latest book delivered to me in .MOBI (Kindle format) from my formatter via email. I copied the file into my PC Dropbox and it synced over to my tab.

When I open the Dropbox app on my tab I see the .MOBI file in the directory I placed it in. I open the File Manager app to move the .MOBI file to the Kindle folder and I do not see it in the Dropbox folder.

On the PC I see 11 files (JPG, PDF, WAV, MOBI format) in the 'Stuff' folder. When I search using File Manager, I only find the JPG files at this path:

/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.dropbox.android/cache/thumbs/Stuff

I cannot see the other non-JPG files at all. I tried searching for all of the missing files by name on both the SD card and local folder structure. Nothing. Yet, when I look at Dropbox, there they are.

I have set my File Manager to search for hidden files and I have also tried the built in MyFiles app from Samsung with the same effect.

If I open my email on the tablet I have OPEN, VIEW and SAVE options for a PDF file in the same email, but the .MOBI file only has INFO and I cannot save it to the tab that way either.

Anyone have an idea what is going on and how I can view this MOBI file on Kindle...?

Thanks

Have you chosen the Export option in Dropbox? To do so, long press on the file in Dropbox and choose Export. Select the location to save it to (possibly /mnt/sdcard/kindle). When you see the files in the Dropbox app they are typically just cached unless you specifically choose to export them to your device/sdcard.

Also, this may not work in the end since there may be a conversion necessary. If it doesn't you might try sending the file to your tablet via the awesome Calibre ebook manager.

hth...

Reactions: shadragon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones