1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Dropbox vs. Sugarsync

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. rchusid

rchusid Member This Topic's Starter

Mar 16, 2010
    Sugarsync has just increased their free space to 5 GB (before picking up more from referrals) which happens to match what I have on Dropbox. With all the people trying to get others to use their referral link, using Sugarsync instead would give people a head start, unless Dropbox gives in and matches them.

Any Sugarsync users out there who can compare the two? I get the impression that Sugarsync had problems in the past but might have improved in recent months.

2. Wingzfan61

Wingzfan61 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Dropbox seems a bit faster, Sugarsync has a better UI and more storage now. I like that sugarsync give you a thumbnail of your pictures and not just a name like dropbox does however viewing a photo is extremely slow to download and preview unless its already been cached on your device. I generally use picasa for photos though so no big deal. Not sure how many cloud storage places I need but sugarsync has alot of potential to become my main one.
  3. Laursen

Laursen New Member

Nov 12, 2010
    - dropbox: fast, reliable; on pc/android it reacts instantly
    - sugarsync: on the pc it seems to lag a bit, probably because it runs on a timer?

- dropbox: mp3: ok, but no media player for playlisting full directrory; m4v: streams ok (also one file only, but no problem for me)
    - sugarsync: mp3: ok, with own media player offering all mp3's; m4v: streams ok, but limited to 10 Mbyte file size -> cannot do full movie (2-300 Mbyte)

photo album
    - dropbox: no album, except file names, (select file, show pictures in directory's cache only (I think) )
    - sugarsync: album, can do slideshow

file editing
    - dropbox: txt: buildin txt-editor (ok); doc: doc2go (ok)
    - sugarsync: (not sure; not testet recently)

Conclusion: I prefer dropbox because of the no-limit vdo-streaming and because of the instantaneous sync (on both pc and android), but i'm monitoring sugarsync as the media facilities seems better.

Also the recent increase (5 Gbyte free), and possible PIN lock makes sugarsync worth a try again
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.