• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dropbox will not stream video files

Have you contacted the dev about this?

I have used DB well over a year. I tried to stream a video file from the xoom in a dropbox folder and it was unable to stream.. same for the evo 3D, so I chalked it up to it not being allowed on mobile devices? It was not a big deal for me so I didnt follow up with it.

Perhaps hit up the DB website and smoke over their FAQs?

Let's take this discussion to the APP section for others to chime in and help, but for what it's worth, I have seen this across the xoom as well as the EVO 3D.

EDIT: I usually use Dice Player. I tried it with my LTE 4G Evo and used instead "Streaming Player" and I was able to successfully play a file i recorded with the built in camcorder on the handheld. DB syncs up with photos and vids that are taken on the handheld so i recorded a sample video clip , let it sync up into the camera upload folder, then clicked on it and played it using "Streaming Player". I will re-try this on the xoom also and see if it makes a difference..

Upvote 0
Alright here is an update:

I have concluded that the media players are not at fault here. If i manually add the video files to my sd card, it plays perfectly.

In addition, the only way I can get the videos to play via dropbox is to either download the video file or export the file, which i believe does the same as downloading because they both take a long time to do.

I'm starting to think that dropbox doesn't allow users to stream video content to their mobile device?

I'm not sure if it matters, but the process I am going through is adding a video file from my computer to the dropbox folder on my pc. Letting it upload/sync. From there I can see the file through the dropbox app on my evo 4g lte. When i click on the file to play, it asks which media player i want to use (streaming is not there until after I export the file), then it will then proceed to error.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones