Dropped gingerbread features on n1

Last Updated:

1. kingfroman

kingfroman Member This Topic's Starter

So it seems gingerbread was built around the nexus s. What kind of features can we expect to get dropped for the n1? Can the n1 handle the multi touch keyboard?

Advertisement
  2. rubi76

rubi76 Well-Known Member

Nothing should be dropped.... same processor and similar hardware.
    Obviously we don't have a front facing camera so video calls might be different... besides that the hardware of the nexus S, especially considering it came out a year after the N1, has improvements but nothing drastic.

3. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

The front facing camera and the NFC (near field communication) chip are really the only two things the NS has over the N1.

4. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

And better touchscreen sensor! Like the new Google Map that's out and we're not 100% compatible :(

5. Mostly Harmless

Well that's the big one. Getting a new phone with a better touchscreen will be a big relief, I am just not jumping down on any phone right now. A few more months, it will be worth it.

6. Snazzy

Snazzy Well-Known Member

The Nexus S will be obsolete one week after release. Without the dual core processor this phone will look old fast.

I really thought they were going to delay the launch of the Nexus S to include the Tegra, that would be a very nice upgrade from the N1 but as stated above the only thing NS has over N1 is the 2nd camera. The Nexus S NFC chip is one way only which is kinda useless.

My first smart phone was the Samsung Galaxy i7500L which my wife uses today and is a very nice phone so I was excited when I heard Samsung was given the reins to the Nexus line. Oh well.

Perhaps next year we will see Nexus Motorola Oh yeah baby! :)

7. Roze

Didn't think that the clearpad would become such a hinderance outside of gaming :( I didn't really mind since I don't game...but *sigh* @ Map that I won't be able to fully utilize.

Same :( I was hoping that was the case. The reason why Gingerbread wasn't announced when google put the statue out was because it was 'revising' it for a dual core processor...that Samsung was planning to include in the NS. Those damn rumours :mad:

As for the NFC...since it's only one way, it's similar to the barcode scanner app. :rolleyes:

that should be interesting

8. Mostly Harmless

I was really hoping that Motorola was going to design the "Nexus 2". I love the way their phones feel (played around with a Droid and a Droid X). I am also disappointed that they didn't release an At&t version of the phone, so the NS isn't even a choice for me (I would only switch to verizon since there service is really good around me). I am hoping that some of these super phones that we are seeing glimpse of will come to At&t, but if At&t does dumb stuff with them like not giving the option to side load apps then I will move to another carrier.

9. HyperM3

HyperM3 Well-Known Member

Its unlocked with quadband so it will work on AT&T. I plan on trying it out.

10. Mostly Harmless

I thought it won't work with At&t 3G service.

11. HyperM3

With "Quad-band GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900" I dont see how it wouldnt work.

12. bitxboi

bitxboi Well-Known Member

it will work with AT&T's GSM, but not AT&T's HSPA service bands

HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 - for AT&T and Rogers
    HSDPA 900 / 1700 / 2100 - the ones of Nexus S

if people keep saying it won't work for AT&T, my educated guess is that the 2100 band was for Rogers, and AT&T use either 850 or 1900

13. HyperM3

That made sense now.

14. HyperM3

So once again, AT&T users can have the phone but only run EDGE at best. FAYUL!

15. Snazzy

Snazzy Well-Known Member

I cant speak for AT&T but Rogers, Bell Canada and Telus all run on 850/1900/2100 HSDPA. Very zippy.

16. lattelady

lattelady New Member

As said before, doesn't appear to have dropped features, N1 simply lacks some of the hardware. The NFC won't catch on B4 we all update our phones, so the camera is mostly it & touch screen sensors. I'm waiting until (Q2 I think) the dual core processors & the 3D chips are out. When we upgrade then, the other items (dual camera, etc..) will be standard. Since some upgrade every 1-2 yrs, it should offer up some phones with "true" improvements. I'm waiting for all these new goodies wrapped up with a pure android OS without crapware or picked apart by carriers (like Verizon) who take things out so they can sell them back to us for a monthly fee!!!!!!!!!!!! WT??????

17. AnotherFatalEpic

AnotherFatalEpic Well-Known Member

I have a feeling 2012 is going to be a great year for phones.

18. Roze

fify :p

I don't think I can wait another year :p

19. AnotherFatalEpic

AnotherFatalEpic Well-Known Member

LMFAO.. well I'll keep my fingers crossed for 2011 then :p.. I need a Nexus comparable to the LG Optimus 2X to be satisfied :(

20. Buffalo_Bill

Buffalo_Bill Member

Since the NS doesn't support HSPA+ that means we can't have full 3G speed on Rogers Network in Canada, right?

21. Buffalo_Bill

Buffalo_Bill Member

Well, it's only a month 'til we start seeing new phones ;)

22. Roze

No, unless you're with the two new carriers (mobilicity or wind) the Tmobile NS does not work on 3G with the other carriers (Bells, Rogers & Telus) due to the lack of proper radio frequency.

23. HyperM3

All this being said, I want my Gingerbread already. I dont care what is dropped or kept.