• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dropped it in the toilet

shammyb1

Lurker
Dec 1, 2013
I went to use the restroom with my Galaxy S3 in my back pocket. It slipped right into the toilet. I immediately retrieved it and disassembled it. I wiped everything off, but I didn't have access to rice at the time. After about 30 minutes I tried turning it on and it did, but when my lock screen came up it was extremely dark so I disassembled it again. I have it in rice now. Is there anything else I should do?

Now? No, you're about 30 minutes too late. For the future:

1) Remove the battery - even if that means ripping off a non-removeable back cover. A new cover is a LOT cheaper than a new phone.

2) Immerse the phone in rubbing alcohol. (Also called isopropyl alcohol - the stuff you buy in quart bottles in the pharmacy.) Swish it around. You want the alcohol to scrub all the impurities (not just from the toilet - chlorine, metallic salts, everything) off the interior parts of the phone and into suspension. When I say immerse, I don't mean get it damp. I mean put it into a (non-metallic) loaf pan, about 3" high or higher, and fill the pan with alcohol.

Don't worry about getting the phone wet. Alcohol isn't water, it's hygroscopic, it ABSORBS water. (Which is why 200 proof liquor is impossible.) Change the alcohol and swish in fresh alcohol about 4-5 times.

NOW put the phone into a jar of uncooked rice, seal it and wait about a week.

The two WORST things you can do to a phone are 1) to leave the impurities in it - they eat away at the copper and cause shorts. The phone might work now, but eventually - days, weeks - it's going to fail past the point of repair. And 2) putting the battery into a wet phone. Even worse is then trying to turn it on. You've turned the phone into a giant fuse and blown it.

Oh, in your case, a toilet? 2 pairs of surgical gloves, one over the other, then a pair of dishwashing gloves. That's not exactly clean water.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones