• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dropping Data Plan

crandroid

Jun 18, 2010
Posted this on XDA, but figured I might get a good answer here too.

I'm thinking about dropping my $30/month unlimited data plan with Verizon. I love my eris, but I really only use data to check email and facebook a few times a day, and maybe a few other things like checking the weather, google calendar, etc. It's nice, but I feel like it's not worth paying $30 per month for the little amount that I use it. Especially when I'm around wifi a lot, too.

Is there any way to drop my data plan while keeping my eris (without incurring data fees of course)? I'd like to keep the ability to make calls, send texts (including MMS), but nothing else. Is this possible?

Verizon doesn't allow it. The data plan in mandatory for smart phones.
I'm really not sure how true this actually is. Yes, data plan is mandatory for the PURCHASE of a smart phone at the rebate price, but this is so they are sure to make a profit on the phone they're subsidizing for you to get it so cheap (well not THAT cheap, but cheaper).

The data plan is not actually mandatory for the USE or function of the smartphone, but some functionality might be lost, like access to the Market.

Upvote 0
I'm really not sure how true this actually is. Yes, data plan is mandatory for the PURCHASE of a smart phone at the rebate price, but this is so they are sure to make a profit on the phone they're subsidizing for you to get it so cheap (well not THAT cheap, but cheaper).

The data plan is not actually mandatory for the USE or function of the smartphone, but some functionality might be lost, like access to the Market.

I believe that you are incorrect. If you try to activate (not just purchase) a 3G (or 4G) smartphone on Verizon, it will automatically add a $29.99 data plan, and you cannot remove the data plan - it is not optional.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones