• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Dropping to 3G more often a coincidence

jetguat

Android Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2011
Midwest
I feel that i should know this answer myself as I work for a company that along with Ericsson provide the LTE infrastructure for BigRed. I know they are always doing network upgrades, but I dont think the issues I've been seeing is a result of network congestion.

Since I went from 4.3 (HD7) to 4.4.2 (HD8) it seems to me that I drop to 3G much more often, and while I never tracked it, it seems I have only a few bars while in 4G compared to before the 4.3 to 4.4.2.

I recall seeing some comments along this line, but cant find if they were here, in xda, or someplace else.

Are others seeing as good or better radio access with their N3? Anything you've done to improve it? I specifically recall something about flashing a different "modem" but honestly I am unsure what that was referring do.

thanks for the thoughts and suggestions

Well, I don't believe it is just related to 4.4.2. I am still on HD7 4.3 and my 4G has gotten worse over the last several months. I see A LOT more 3G now and a lot of times I get no signal at all. I know the trees are all bloomed out and that, but this seems to be more than just that. I called and complained and several others have as well. My call was one of the last ones and Verizon said they were sending out someone to check the signal in our area. Hopefully they can fix it.

Upvote 0
Well, I don't believe it is just related to 4.4.2. I am still on HD7 4.3 and my 4G has gotten worse over the last several months. I see A LOT more 3G now and a lot of times I get no signal at all. I know the trees are all bloomed out and that, but this seems to be more than just that. I called and complained and several others have as well. My call was one of the last ones and Verizon said they were sending out someone to check the signal in our area. Hopefully they can fix it.

Do you have unlimited data?

I read an article that VzW is finallly gonna pull the plug and all but force us last remnant of unlimited data onto a plan. The idea is to throttle the users. Now they claim, its only if you are a top 5% user, and if its a busy cell site, but they know darn well that is impossible for anyone to prove.

I know vzw is prepping for VoLTE. but never hear this level of complaint.

guess there is some comfort in know that others are dropping to 3G more. are you east coast, west coast, central? I'm in midwest. so this is an ericsson infrastructure area. Vzw split the country between ericsson and alcatel-lucent.

Upvote 0
Digital Controller,

No, I have not upgraded to that. Will look into it.

jetguat,
Yes, I am on unlimited data still. I'm in north Alabama.

I didnt see this post originally. cant tell on my phone but hope thats a link to the nc4 modem firmware u gave us. I never installed just modem firmware. hope its easy

Here you guys go: Dev-Host - NC4_modem_kk.tar.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

That is a link to the NC4 Modem, you MUST be on KitKat for that to work. Also to install it just flash it onto your device using Odin :)

Reactions: darkcyber
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones