Dropping your IncredibleGeneral

Last Updated:

1. eipee73

eipee73 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys and girls,

I have been one of the lucky ones that is yet to drop their phone. I noticed multiple threads about dropping the phone and having a shattered screen. Could you please add your experience to this thread so we can get a good idea about dropping the phone? I'd like to think that the shattered screen is more of a possibility rather than a definitive result, but it seems like dropping the phone will directly result in a shattered screen in all cases...

Advertisement
  2. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

No. Can you imagine if there was a thread made EVERY time someone dropped their phone? I'm sure a shattered screen as the result of dropping it is a very rare occasion.

3. krs128

krs128 Well-Known Member

dropped mine exactly 2 feet (yes i measured, cuz i was shocked the screen shattered) while i was sitting in a chair at a table, missed my pocket. it landed perfectly flat on its back, made a weird loud clap noise, and screen shattered, cant feel cracks so it was the inside of the screen but the touch screen doesnt work

4. Needz_Android

Needz_Android Well-Known Member

i'm pretty sure there are people who have had some pretty bad drops and their phone has lived to see another day

5. eipee73

Honestly just looking for someone to validate that they have dropped their phone and it hasn't busted the screen. I have heard no such stories like that yet. I would have expected someone to post a good story on the same thread as those who mentioned the shattered screen.

6. AdmSuvvuk

AdmSuvvuk Well-Known Member

Mine dropped out of my hand about chest high standing (I was texting). It hit the pavement (rough--not smooth asphalt) facedown and skittered about 5 feet across the parking lot on the screen. The phone was naked, I was not. It got one scratch on the screen, and some dings on the frame but otherwise was ok. My phone is no longer naked!

red97xj and Outatime like this.
  7. eipee73

Mine actually is still naked as well. Thanks for providing a non-horror story for us. Perhaps it is just a matter of where some users have dropped it that has caused such colossal failures.

8. rockstar323

rockstar323 Well-Known Member

Ive noticed a couple people here and on different forums that broke their screen from a low fall that resulted in the phone landing on its back. I think it's the fact that the camera cover is so large. When it lands on this the shock may travel through the phone and into the screen.

9. 338lapuaAI

338lapuaAI Member

I've drop mine like 5 times already. No marks at all on it. Using the Verizon silicone case.

They should rename it the HTC Indestructible

10. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

I hanve't dropped mine, but it's not unreasonable to expect a shattered screen (or, more likely, a shatterd LCD). AMOLED's are very thin.

11. kibble

kibble Well-Known Member

I dropped mine from about 3-4 ft height onto hard linoleum. Didn't damage or scuff anything but the back flew off. That's when I decided I wanted to get a case.

12. talisxero

talisxero Member

I dropped mine from chair high when it was laying on my lap. Landed face down on a cement basement floor, came out completely unscathed. I am however using a bodyglove case which is uber durable in my experience

13. eipee73

Where did you purchase your bodyglove case from?

14. eipee73

I haven't dropped mine yet either, but this is making me consider getting a case. I really like the soft touch back though so it's hard to want to add thickness and a different feel. I had a silicone case for an old phone of mine and wasn't very happy with it, but if it will help prevent damage from a fall I may have to purchase one.

Thanks to all who are contributing their stories.

15. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I don't think this phone could take much impact , the Eris was much more sturdy that think was a damn tank... One of the biggest things that makes me worry about the Incredible is that when I hold it , it just doesn't feel solid it feels like any impact would result in damage. I can deal with scratched and dinged outside but I cant deal with broken screens

16. levele

levele Member

Dropped mine today. About 2.5 foot drop on hard surface but not concrete (subway platform in nyc). Bounced a couple of times. No noticeable damage, so far.. got lucky I guess

17. Nsane1

Nsane1 Well-Known Member

I think you could definitely be on to something here. It you assume that the whole weight of the phone it sent through a single point instead of being dispersed through out it's entire shell then I could defniitely see this happening. Just like sometimes when it drops and it perfectly hits the dead center of a corner and all the impact is taken there instead of it doing any sliding or further falling.

18. Ladera

Ladera Well-Known Member

I dropped my phone from 2 to 3 feet high on ceramic tile. Not a scratch on the phone. Hopefully, this will be the extent of my testing of the phone's durability.

19. spy21der

spy21der Active Member

After reading shattered glass screen posts on here.. I decided to get a case. I went to verizon and tried them all out. Went with the silicon black one. It isn't like previous ones I have had, it is a shiny smooth black. It doesn't feel rubbery like all the other ones I have bought for different things in the past. I love it. It doesn't make your phone much thicker and its the cheapest case they have.
    I had the eris before this too, and this phone defineately isn't as durable as that.. I never had a case for the eris. For some reason, I like throwing my phones in the air. Dropped the eris from about 10 feet before. perfectly fine. Wouldn't dare do that with the incredible without a case.

20. fliptwister

fliptwister Well-Known Member

Yesterday I dropped mine from about 3 ft onto hard linoleum. Back and battery flew but no broken screen. Phone worked perfectly. I started insurance today.

21. greenrolaids

greenrolaids Well-Known Member

hmm, go naked and get insurance or use my silicone case taht adds bulk to the phone.

I like it naked, its just so nice and small in my hand, the phone too !

22. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Well-Known Member

^ Haha nice.

I have the silicone case on mine. Dropped from my about my waist(pulling it out of my pocket) on some hard wood floor. Nothing happened. Not a scratch. I do need a screen protector soon though...

23. DROID_SCOTSMAN

DROID_SCOTSMAN Well-Known Member

ODropped mine from about 4 feet off the kitchen counter to the floor naked.. landed face down battery and back came off i thought for sure that the screen was broken, however it eas not and it is working just fine. However I do have a case on it now

24. alison03

alison03 Well-Known Member

The last part made me laugh. I thought it was going to end at "wouldn't dare do that with the incredible." :D

I agree...I have the silicone one and I love it. First time I've had a case for any phone, ever. Feels and looks great.

25. gener1c

gener1c Well-Known Member

I dropped mine today in the cvs parking lot from about 3 feet. The back came flying off but no scratches or shattered glass. And today was the day I said screw the case I'm going naked. I might use a case from now on.