• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root DSPManager ROCKS! (audio upgrade)

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
I just installed this using Rom Manager (after a Nandroid back-up of course) and the difference is HUGE. A person modded the version that only works on non-sense roms. I am using DSP Manager on rooted 2.2 Sense Lite.

1. Uses the hardware DSP, rather than software and CPU overhead like MixIng and Astro Player.

2. Sound stage and dB level are both improved, but not so much that your ears will melt.

3. My Incredible NOW sounds better than my N900. I never would have thought it.

4. Features:

Effects
EQ
Spatial room adjustments ("Studio" seems perfect for depth increase)
Settings for both headphones and speaker

5. You can adjust the parameters on the fly to test the best settings for you!

6. No more skipping and lag that the EQ's with MixIng and Astro Manger experience.

This should be a standard option on the device. Impressive.

[TIP] Installing DSP-based equalizer on Android 2.2 stock ROMs. - xda-developers

Dibs to the dev :)

When i get a new rom update from Virtuous, will this have to be re added?

and how should i install, i dont like getting into shell, can i use rom manager or just use clockwork?

When I did it, it was a simple update.zip through clockwork recovery. no abd involved.

And I'm pretty sure it would have to be reapplied each time you update the whole rom.

Reactions: Jakaro
Upvote 0
just bumping this cause it really does rock! been using this for over a week now when using headphones and it's a huge difference when using the room effects. the room effects give so much life to the music.

i actually found a never version of the DSP manager apk and loaded it on. i ripped the apk and the audioflinger.so out of the latest cyanogen build for the inc and adb pushed it on.

Upvote 0
The mod is huge, since it is actually doing the adjustments at hardware level, rather than software, that eats extra cpu and goes away when the app is shut down and does not sound as good. I did not know the Snapdragon had good audio chops and a dang shame OEM's have not leveraged this. It seems that only Samsung gets that audio is an important feature to leverage.

DSPManager also highlights that the default audio settings for the Incredible (and others probably as well) are a tad weak.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones