• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help DTV on the Moment... Possible reason for update/firmware delays?

There are definite hardware changes as indicated by the press release. The new moments will have the additional chip as well as that huge screw on antenna port. It will not apply to existing phones.

I'm just happy to hear that samsung is still working on this phone. I know they promised 2.1 but I think this solidifies the deal.

Upvote 0
From the article....

"

Samsung Moment, without the Mobile DTV chip, originally launched in November 2009 as Samsung’s first U.S. handset integrating the open and innovative Android™ platform with the high-speed connectivity of America’s most dependable 3G network3 (EVDO Rev. A.) and oneof the best values in wireless with Any Mobile, AnytimeSM calling feature, available on Everything plans with data.

Samsung Moment represents a new generation of portable Internet access devices and provides access to built-in Google™ mobile services, including Google Search™, Google Maps™, Gmail™ and YouTube™, as well as thousands of applications available in Android Market™. Moment is powered by an 800 MHz processor, making this device one of the fastest wireless phones available today. Moment is also designed with a full QWERTY keyboard for fast and easy messaging and email entry.

Customers can purchase Samsung Moment without Mobile DTV capabilities through all Sprint channels including Web (www.sprint.com), Telesales (1-800-SPRINT1) and our national retail partners. Retail pricing is currently $179.99 (excluding taxes) after a $50 instant savings and a $100 mail-in-rebate with a two-year service agreement."

In my mind, Sprint did a HUGE disservice to loyal customers. Fortunately, I can upgrade again in June 2010. But, to someone that bought the Moment and is stuck for 2 years, I would be PISSED!!!!! The Moment should have released when the above phone was ready!

Upvote 0
So this kind of sucks... I just signed up under my parents' family contract about a week ago and love the Samsung Moment. However, I don't know if I'll be able to sleep at night knowing that mine doesn't support the Mobile TV.

I'm wondering if this will be available to everyone around March, and how much price difference there will be.

Still within the 30 days, so I'm really debating canceling out and waiting.. What do you guys think?

Upvote 0
One question to ask yourself. Would you use it? It's a cool feature don't get me wrong but when/where would you use it?

I asked myself that very question last night... and I absolutely would not. I'd much rather watch what I want to watch when I want then just watch an OTA signal... hence my DVR with the 1.5tb drive hooked up at home lol.

We already have SprintTV... how often have you all used that? I've used it once, when I got my first Sprint phone. It is indeed a cool feature, but if I've got my phone and I'm bored I'd rather read news articles or play my complete collection of NES games on my emulator :)

Upvote 0
There's emulators for NES, GB/GBA, SNES and oldschool Sega in the market... most have a free and paid version... the only difference is the paid version allows instant save states in most cases. I don't really use the save state thing that much but I did pay for my NES one, because I really do try to support developers on things like this... it's how our app collection gets better... both in quality and quantity.

As for the ROMs, I only have two things to say:

1) legally to use a ROM you must own the original disk/cart the game came on, if you're concerned about that sort of thing

2) I'm not going to post links, but you'd be surprised how easily available things like old ROMs are with a quick visit to the googles.

EDIT: I should also mention that I'm really happy I went with the Moment over the Hero when it comes to the emulators... I can't even begin to imagine how awful trying to play any of these games would be using only the home button set and a touchscreen!

Upvote 0
As long as the legacy Moment get Android updates, I could care less about DTV.

Code:
/me takes puts on my conspiracy theory hat
This probably explains the lack of commercials and the treating the Moment like a bastard child of their Android phones. They probably didn't want more people pissed that a phone that has only been out 2 months is already coming out with a hardware upgrade. It also explains another rumor I read that said 2010 was when Sprint was going to start pushing the Moment.
Code:
/me takes off my conspiracy theory hat

-Eli

Upvote 0
I tweeted back at them to find out if maybe the existing Moments that have been sold already have this DTV chip in them, but I haven't gotten any response back.

With my luck, it will be an updated version of the Moment hardware. Which would suck, considering the device was only out for a couple months.

-SF

They responded back to me yesterdy via twitter. The DTV moments will be the same hardware, with the addition of the new chip.

That should bode well for us as, as far as keeping the first round of Moment's firmware in sync with the DTV moments.

Has anyone seen a writeup anywhere on the web where someone has done a disassembly of the Moment? I'm wondering if there is an unused socket on the board... That would make adding the DTV chip really easy if Samsung planned that far ahead.

-SF

Upvote 0
They responded back to me yesterdy via twitter. The DTV moments will be the same hardware, with the addition of the new chip.

That should bode well for us as, as far as keeping the first round of Moment's firmware in sync with the DTV moments.

Has anyone seen a writeup anywhere on the web where someone has done a disassembly of the Moment? I'm wondering if there is an unused socket on the board... That would make adding the DTV chip really easy if Samsung planned that far ahead.

-SF
I came across this the other day. It might not have very good shots but if your adventurous you can explore the innards yourself with help from this. At your own peril noobs!

How To: Tear down the Samsung Moment

Upvote 0
kinda sad that an "improved" model is announced two months after the original is out. they haven't even fixed the problems in the current version. I'm still pushing for a Nexus like slider from HTC for gen 2 and scrap the Moment altogether.
Like you said the Moment is only 2 months out, and new firmware has been put out by Samsung, albeit takes some technical skills to apply.

So this means they are not allowed to make enhancements / announcements for the phone? Kind of silly, I think.

I think it's great they're announcing this, it means this phone is being kept up-to-date and well supported.

Of course expect people to bitch about this...given how they bitch about everything else... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones