Dual Booting

Last Updated:

1. Xclio

Xclio Member This Topic's Starter

So I am new into the world of playing with phones. I come from the computer realm as an engineer for the past 10years or so. So far I have not tried to root or anything but I fully intend to give it a try in the very near future.

Anyways the reason behind this post is I am interested in the possibility to dual boot my device....IE I want to keep the stock build of 2.1 with sense but I want to be able to still play around with a 2.1 or even 2.2 (hopefully) ROM without losing my stock setup. Is this even possible?

I hear alot of people also saying they switch between ROMs often....can you do that without losing all of the data that you have loaded on the phone already? If that is the case then switching back and forth between stock and a new ROM takes out the need for the dual boot requirement...though i think dual boot would be really nice.

Advertisement
  2. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

No its not really possible to do that. You can load a 2.1 rom and then load a 2.2 rom (once one is released) and go back and forth as often as you like. However you'll have to backup all your apps/data with titanium backup and use that to restore the data/settings after you've flashed a new rom. I wouldn't suggest doing it often. You pretty much need to pick one and stay with it. Personally i couldn't see myself switching roms very often, once i find one to my liking i stay with it.

That being said there is nothing 2.1 offers that 2.2 doesn't, so there is no reason to switch back and forth.

Xclio likes this.
  3. Xclio

Xclio Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks! That is kinda what I had expected the answer to be but wasn't really sure.

4. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong you can try out as many roms as you'd like and i don't know of any limit to the amount of times the phone can be reflashed with a new rom. But i like to keep certain widgets on my desktop and certain icons on certain screens and etc, so setting those up everytime i reflashed a new rom would be a pain. But if you don't have any widgets or very many and don't mind setting them backup then by all means reflash to your hearts content.