Dual Core Orion confirmed in Nexus S!!

Last Updated:

1. DVNO

DVNO Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

UPDATE: 11/25/10 13:20 PST: According to our source we have a Confirmed Dual Core Orion 1GHz CortexA9 running inside the Nexus S, we Can

Advertisement
  2. nemesys06

nemesys06 Well-Known Member

3. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

Well, first of all, where did this info come from? All they are saying is that their source says the Nexus S has the Orion processor, but they themselves cannot verify that it's 100% true and have to trust their source. That's all. Nothing contradicting, but if they are going to say it's "confirmed," then they better post some kind of proof rather than just stating about it.

4. Arcadia

Arcadia Well-Known Member

The OP is a moron. The source contradicts what he wrote in the title, and he didn't leave a link or anything.

5. happy0506

happy0506 Well-Known Member

6. justanotherguy

justanotherguy Well-Known Member

so dual core only means one processor @1ghz with a gpu on the same chip, right?

7. DVNO

DVNO Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Wow strong words tough guy. It was posted on xda and engadget. I would think a tech savvy guy like yourself would have known that. Considering it was all over the internet that day.

8. =KLRS=ZERO

=KLRS=ZERO Well-Known Member

no it means 2 CPU cores and 1 GPU on the SoC. cpu cores will most likely be running around 500-700MHz.

justanotherguy likes this.
  9. justanotherguy

justanotherguy Well-Known Member

Thanks, because someone said a dual core meant an integrated CPU/GPU chip....

SO a dual 500mhz phone is 'like' a 1Ghz phone in terms of raw performance...but a big positive is being able to run on only 4 or 6 "cylinders" for battery life...?
    :D

10. =KLRS=ZERO

Yes there is more raw processing power at the same overall clock speed. And it will have better battery life.

11. nemesys06

nemesys06 Well-Known Member

1Ghz means 1Ghz... not 500-700Ghz. if the nexus s does have the orion dual core cpu running at 1Ghz, then it'll run at that speed. it will have two cores, both of which run at 1GHz. so what is the advantage of a dual core cpu if they're not going to up the processing speed? simple, look at your task manager. go into your apps, look at the apps you have running, or even the stuff running in the background or services. multi-core processors are designed to handle multiple tasks. they don't have a faster clock speed, they just handle multiple tasks. with the phones we have today, we are running just as many tasks on our phones than on a computer. since these phones are running so much, they have grown the need for multi-core processors. if it has a dual core 1GHz cpu, it will run at 1GHz. the only time you will notice the difference between that and the hummingbird 1GHz, is when running multiple tasks.. or gaming. the cpu isn't faster than the hummingbird, just much more efficient!

12. =KLRS=ZERO

I stand corrected.

13. Drhyde

Drhyde Well-Known Member

Also, I recall reading that the GPU for the Nexus S is supposed to be a quad core at 300 Mhz.

14. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

Sauce?

15. Drhyde

Drhyde Well-Known Member

16. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

FAIL :) It's a Cortex A8...same as all the other Galaxy S phones.

17. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

Yea it sucks.

18. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

Goes to show how crappy these rumors has been in the past month, it's a recycled Galaxy device.

19. Teknologic

Wow google, way to suck!
    This totally doesn't match up to the release of the nexus one.

20. shrivelfig

shrivelfig Well-Known Member

Well, yes, but with NFC, gyros and software noise-cancellation. And most important of all, it's an unlocked phone with OS updates directly from Google. No crapware!

This is definitely my next phone.

21. hitekalex

hitekalex Well-Known Member

Did you know that Nexus S doesn't have MicroSD slot? You're basically stuck with 16GB that it comes with. Completely unacceptable.

If you already have Nexus One phone - there is simply no reason to upgrade.

22. Teknologic

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But then I noticed he doesn't have a N1.. So maybe the N S isn't such a horrible choice then.. Not everyone needs more then 16Gig in a phone.

I'm sure sticking to my N1 tho.

23. shrivelfig

shrivelfig Well-Known Member

I'd love to have a Nexus One. But they don't make them anymore, and they were never for sale in my country anyway.

No card slot? Just like the very popular iPhone then, so obviously not much of a deal-breaker. My current 4GB card has about 3.5GB free. When I outgrow the 16GB, it's probably time to trade in for the Nexus 3.

This could well be the first popular Google Nexus phone. If it sells in large numbers, then that would mean critical mass for the NFC technology. It would also be a showcase of a better phone experience, namely no carrier lock-in, and no carrier-supplied crapware. And OS updates for years and years! I would not consider getting the Nexus S if I wasn't stuck on Android 2.1 (thanks a bundle, Samsung! :mad: ).

24. Fejknick-

Fejknick- Member

I'm wondering if I should get this phone or wait for next flagship from whomever makes it with the dual 1GHz CPU.

I'm still on my old iPhone 3GS which works but I have used Android on tablets and I just love it so next phone will be an Android.

25. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

Kind of pointless when unlocked yet only works on only one set of bands (900/1900), no go for us on 850/1700/2100.