• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dual or Quad Core?

Jan 28, 2012
Can't decide what to buy. I have tmobile 30 dollar walmart plan. unlimited text/data/100 minutes. I have alcatel one touch evolve 3g single core 512mb ram 4gb rom hd. Very slow unless I keep it stock no extras. Also it has 4.1.2.

Not acceptable anymore. I don't play games. I got direct tv and the geniego very similar to sling box. So I can see my shows on the road. Works great but limited to 5 conections.

I can use my netbbook to watch also as its set up. So I don't need the phone but would be nice.

Newegg has a Samsung Galaxy Light for 120 dollars and free shipping.

I tohught bestbuy was sunday to sunday. But yesterday and still today they have a tmobile concord 2 60 bucks. 20 dollars savings. Normally 80.

So half the price. But no front camera. I can live with that. Only 4g no lte. But for half price not bad and still better than my 3g now. And 4gb instead of 8gb. But for half price not bad either.

Only difference is quad core versus dual core.

The question is do I need quad core. One of the other forums siad quad core is only on demand. Does that mean on demand programming. Or on demand as in only when needed.

So besides genie go I don't really need a quad core. Or ram is more important. Cus my alcatel is 512mb or ram. So 1gb will help even it was single core. Or dual core will greatly improve my like installing, switching apps, etc, even if it was the same 512mb ram.

And if I was to use geniego. My alcatel works great no errors and runs genie go great. So dual core will help alot. But every once in a while get buffering. No shaking but buffering every so often. So dual core will help alot. But will quad core be better or make no difference.

So so long I'm just trying to decide to save 60 or not and just go for the light. Some website said concord 2 should also get 4.4.2 kitkat upgrade also. So os is not as important. But dual or quad or is the main concern.

Any input appreciated thanks.

And if I was to use geniego. My alcatel works great no errors and runs genie go great. So dual core will help alot. But every once in a while get buffering.

Hi 0078265317, I moved your thread to the Device Comparisons forum :)

Buffering is when the video is not being transferred/streamed fast enough to your device, it has nothing to do with processor power. I haven't used GenieGo, but imagine dual core would be enough.

However, I would get the Galaxy Light because it has 8GB of internal storage. I can't recommend getting a 4GB phone, especially if it upgrades to KitKat.

Upvote 0
I thought I read somewhere kitkat was made to run on older hardware to bridge the gap. But anyhow 4gb is not enough even curently. So I will probably get the light 8gb. Only problem is some say reception is not good and dropped calls. And camera is dull images and lack luster. But I don't care about that. I asked today on chat. Newegg has about 200 in stock of the light for 120 dollars. And yesterdays chat of the 144 option with the hyper charger also about 200 in stock. So nobody is going to buy right away and I have time to decide.

But main concern is 120 dollars for a qaud core phone with 400G LTE not bad. Half of what tmobile is saying. And according to a review at gsmarena "Walmart has this phone in the Univision packaging, for $169.99 now". I don't see it on their website but 120 is still cheaper.

And space. I have alactel one touch evolve 3g with 4.1.2. right now with 4gb and 1.3 left over system is using most of it.

So 8 should be plenty. But how much does kitkat actually use? And 8 is future proofing my self.

Or by the time any android uses even close to 8gb for the system alone it will be time for anew phone. Or what ever comes after kitkat is planning to be more than 4gb make all 4gb phones obsolete?

Even if not 4 is too small so I'll get 8gb. Unless they make a mini android that only uses half the space it uses now. But I'm not holding my breath so I'll just get 8gb.

Anyhow so thanks for the advice.

Upvote 0
You shouldn't worry about a future update using up all of the storage, because the ROM (system software) lives in a separate storage partition, and as changing the size of that will erase everything on the phone it's not likely that an update will do that (hell of a way to annoy your customers!). So the manufacturer makes the system partition as big as they think they need, and any upgrade has to fit into that - if it won't, then there'll be no upgrade. With the Galaxy it's not the size of Jelly Bean or KitKat which is the main thing; Samsung's own software is much larger than Android itself.

However, all of your user-installed apps and their data will live in the internal storage, so having limited space is certainly not future proofing. I don't know how much of the Concord's 4GB is left for the user, but a review I found said that the Galaxy Light gives you 4.6GB for your apps/data.

(I used to use a Gingerbread ROM which would fit into 60MB, but that was very much an exercise in minimalism - but very desirable when the phone itself only had about 500 MB of storage in total!).

Upvote 0
That makes sense thanks. I guess android revises one a year? So it won't matter anyway as my light will be outdated by the time "lollipop" or whatever comes out. And if it doesn't fit it wont get it anyway so I'll have to buy a new phone. But still 8gb is much better. My very first android AT&T Avail (first version) I baught in 2012 january (relesed few months before) was only 512mb and half of that was for the system. So I had only 162mb for programs and I Managed with an sd card. But It was hectec as hell. So 8gb is more than enough.

So I'm going to the tmobile store again to test and see if I like the light before I decicde to buy it.

Thanks for all the help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones