• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dual SIM S7 - what is it?

How do you select which network to use?

Is there a purpose to dual SIM other than the obvious one of being able to easily switch networks?

What about the APN config? Phones are supposed to be auto-APN these days but very often this doesn't work and I had to set the APN manually in the S6 (Vodafone UK).

Upvote 0
How do you select which network to use?

Is there a purpose to dual SIM other than the obvious one of being able to easily switch networks?
If the phone is dual-SIM active, it can use both SIMs simultaneously, on different networks if required, so effectively it's two phones in one.

What about the APN config? Phones are supposed to be auto-APN these days but very often this doesn't work and I had to set the APN manually in the S6 (Vodafone UK).

There's a SIM manager, and it actually has two APNs, one for each SIM. And you select which SIM you want to use for data, i.e. SIM1 or SIM2, and select a default SIM for outgoing calls and messages, etc.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Dou or dual sim phones re very common in Asia. There are phones with 3 sim connections as well. When you make a call, the phone asks you which connection / number you want to place call from. You don't have to turn off one number in order to use other number. Your both numbers are simultaneously working and people can call you on either one. The reason people carry dual or tri sim phone is unlike US phone plans are not unlimited. They still work same like years ago you would be get cheaper call rate if you would call within network. People carry different career sim in their multi sim phones for making calls on respective networks. I hope this helps.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
In China each city like operates its own networks, for Unicom, CMCC and Telecom. And so if you travel to another city or province, you usually get charged for long-distance and incoming calls and texts. Although the Unicom plan I have doesn't do that. Pay the same for minutes where ever I am. Then there's Mainland(+86) to Hong Kong(+852) or Macao(+853), which is international calls and roaming.

Upvote 0
It's astonishing that a phone can connect to multiple networks at the same time... well, I can see it is "only software" but all the same it's very clever.

This seems to be sold here (UK) as the G930FD and it costs a bit more. Example:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-G930FD-Screen-International/dp/B01CJU8FV4
International version - no warranty! Typical of Amazon...

Is it definite that it can be used with one SIM and one 64/128GB SD card?

Can this phone be rooted as any other Exynos S7, using the process already posted here i.e. is the OS the same?

Upvote 0
High end Dual SIM phones are tough to find.

I recently bought an LG V10 Dual SIM Hong Kong variant. I mostly buy from Amazon US and freight forward with shopandship.com. But noticed the market place sellers on Amazon were mislabelling models as the reviews indicated.

I bought from a Singapore based store (mobyshop.com.sg) with online presence. Of course warranty is only valid for Singapore.

Best to buy from specialized mobile sellers to avoid hassles.

Upvote 0
Is there any downside to buying the 930FD dual SIM version, compared to the standard 930F?
You're probably aware from reading this thread that it's meant for sale and use in Asia. So depending on where you are and who your carrier is, it might not be so suitable, e.g. no 4G LTE, no warranty, etc.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
One problem might be if say Vodafone UK uses one 4G band in one place and another 4G band in another place, OR is roaming on some other network in Europe.

IOW, confirming that e.g. Voda UK works on 4G means potentially nothing if you want to travel and roam around Europe.

On a lot of the Ebay 930F phones I see a sticker on the box saying "European SIM cards only", presumably for this reason.

There are about 50 4G bands around the world and no phone supports them all. 9 are used in Europe, I am told.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Has this been tested?

I must admit it would be astonishing if a 2016 phone didn't support 4G. My great old Nokia 808 (the best phone camera to this day) was the last 3G smartphone.
Yes it does support 4G no problem, if it's in Hong Kong or something. However 4G is NOT universal. My Oppo, 4G no problem with China Unicom, Vodafone in the UK, nope. That's why willmyphonework.net is such a useful resource.

Upvote 0
One problem might be if say Vodafone UK uses one 4G band in one place and another 4G band in another place, OR is roaming on some other network in Europe.

IOW, confirming that e.g. Voda UK works on 4G means potentially nothing if you want to travel and roam around Europe.

On a lot of the Ebay 930F phones I see a sticker on the box saying "European SIM cards only", presumably for this reason.

There are about 50 4G bands around the world and no phone supports them all. 9 are used in Europe, I am told.

The European SIM cards only I think is the region locked activation that Samsungs have, to deter the grey market trade in them. The dual-SIM "FD" one will also have a sticker stating "SE Asia SIM cards only".

It can certainly be used in other regions, but it must first be activated and a call made with a local carrier's SIM, for the region it was intended for, before it's imported to somewhere else.

Reactions: Pugs1957
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones